Using Wiimote with XBMC
Question 
Hey guys,

I'm considering which remote control to use, and I'm wondering how well the wiimote would work with xbmc? It probably has a few less buttons than desired, but it's the motion element of this remote im interested in.

I know there is a program called glove-pie which lets you use the wiimote with your pc. Does anyone know if motion gestures could be used to go through menus in xbmc? for instance, wave the wiimote right to scroll right, this could be really nice in coverflow view.

This would be my dream input method!
in short yes

But the wiimote only work with a few diffrent bt adaptors, and you need a diffrent bt stack software then the windows default.

Appart from that there is no stopping you, i would avoid glovepie, just use the wiimotelib.dll for c#/vb.net/c/java. then you could use the web controller api to create the program.

Currently I am writing a hang gesture recognition system for xbmc and that how i control it, i will write in an extra wiimote control system if none exits, but i mainly stick to windows platforms
at first it is cool to have wiimote for remote but it is very clumsy. it is stupid that ever time when you power on pc you need to configurate bt and program for support wiimote. but you can try it will be fun:
For support you will need Wiimote presenter. if you know c# you can download source and build your version.

http://jasonlpsmith.googlepages.com/wiimotepresenter
You're right! It does seem to be quite attractive at first, but what can I do about FFW and RWD? I'd miss those. Not to mention the number buttons on the original xbox remote. They've been so useful inputting strings..
Check out the wiiuse client in svn. I wrote it for linux, but wiiuse is supposed to be cross-platform, so it should save you some work. I've never tried compiling for windows, so it may need a gentle nudge.

It supports gestures for pitch and roll, just add them to your keymap.

TheUni
i'm using wiimote every day for a long time now (with microsoft drivers and glovepie), and i dont need to reconfigure everything all the time... there's a little app called WiimoteConnect, i just need to press 1 + 2 on the wiimote, and everything is done automatically (wiimote connect, glovepie executes with XBMC.pie script, close some bad apps - like google desktop - and even runs XBMC)... so, if i want to use XBMC, i just need to press 1 + 2 on the wiimote

that being said, i can FF (30 secs or 10 min), RW (30 secs or 10 min), pause, stop, call the info panel, volume up/down, leave the video without stopping it, and call the shutdown menu...

it does not work perfectly (there's some bugs), but that's the way i'm using since i get out of my xbox 1
If your using glove-pie here is my own wiimote script that I use. It doesn't use the IR bar or the motion sensors (with one execption) at all. The reason for this is simply there isn't really a reason for it. The IR mouse pointer control, tho nice, can be buggy at times, and the same can be said for motion sensors. This is designed to be use with the mouse control turned OFF in XBMC.

Controls
D Pad = Arrow Keys
A Button = Select, in move brings up OSD.
B Button = Go back a directory, in move, skip back a bit.
- Button = Go back to main menu, close window, or in movie, go back to list.
+ Button = Bring up context window
1 Button = Page Up
2 Button = Page Down
Menu Button = Go to play list, in move, pause

1 + 2 Buttons = Un/lock wiimote.

Shake Wiimote, display batt level.

Code:
// (UN)LOCK WIIMOTE
if Wiimote.one + Wiimote.two then
if var.lock
var.lock = false
else var.lock = true
wait 500 ms
endif
endif

//CONTROLS (UNLOCKED)
if var.lock = false
Up = Wiimote.Up
Left = Wiimote.Left
Right = Wiimote.Right
Down = Wiimote.Down
Backspace = Wiimote.B
Enter = Wiimote.A
Spacebar = Wiimote.Home
Pageup = wiimote.One
Pagedown = wiimote.Two
C = wiimote.plus
Esc = wiimote.minus
endif

//CONTROLS (LOCKED)
if var.lock = true and (wiimote.up or wiimote.down or wiimote.left or wiimote.right or wiimote.one or wiimote.two or wiimote.minus or wiimote.plus or wiimote.a or wiimote.b or wiimote.home)
wiimote.Rumble = 1
wait 200 ms
wiimote.Rumble = 0
endif

// BATT LEVEL ON SHAKE
if wiimote1.gz > 3
var.shake1 = true
wait 2000 ms
var.shake1 = false
var.count  = true
endif

if var.shake1 = true then
if wiimote1.battery > 25
wiimote1.Led1 = true
wait 2000 ms
wiimote1.Led1 = false
endif

if wiimote1.battery > 50
wiimote1.Led1 = true
wiimote1.Led2 = true
wait 2000 ms
wiimote1.Led1 = false
wiimote1.Led2 = false
endif

if wiimote1.battery > 75
wiimote1.Led1 = true
wiimote1.Led2 = true
wiimote1.Led3 = true
wait 2000 ms
wiimote1.Led1 = false
wiimote1.Led2 = false
wiimote1.Led3 = false
endif

if wiimote1.battery > 90
wiimote1.Led1 = true
wiimote1.Led2 = true
wiimote1.Led3 = true
wiimote1.Led4 = true
wait 2000 ms
wiimote1.Led1 = false
wiimote1.Led2 = false
wiimote1.Led3 = false
wiimote1.Led4 = false
endif
endif
I'd love to see what you guys currently have setup using the wiimote, perhaps a video migth be cool.
Thumbs Up 
proudcroat Wrote:at first it is cool to have wiimote for remote but it is very clumsy. it is stupid that ever time when you power on pc you need to configurate bt and program for support wiimote. but you can try it will be fun:
For support you will need Wiimote presenter. if you know c# you can download source and build your version.

http://jasonlpsmith.googlepages.com/wiimotepresenter

Hi,

If you are using Smoothboard 1.6, you will be able to connect your Wiimote automatically. Big Grin

Smoothboard also contains the Presenter functionality that is based on Jason Smith's Wiimote Presenter.

This latest wii whiteboard software can be downloaded from http://www.smoothboard.net

Regards,
Boon Jin
F-Wolf Wrote:If your using glove-pie here is my own wiimote script that I use. It doesn't use the IR bar or the motion sensors (with one execption) at all. The reason for this is simply there isn't really a reason for it. The IR mouse pointer control, tho nice, can be buggy at times, and the same can be said for motion sensors. This is designed to be use with the mouse control turned OFF in XBMC.

Controls
D Pad = Arrow Keys
A Button = Select, in move brings up OSD.
B Button = Go back a directory, in move, skip back a bit.
- Button = Go back to main menu, close window, or in movie, go back to list.
+ Button = Bring up context window
1 Button = Page Up
2 Button = Page Down
Menu Button = Go to play list, in move, pause

1 + 2 Buttons = Un/lock wiimote.

Shake Wiimote, display batt level.

Code:
// (UN)LOCK WIIMOTE
if Wiimote.one + Wiimote.two then
if var.lock
var.lock = false
else var.lock = true
wait 500 ms
endif
endif

//CONTROLS (UNLOCKED)
if var.lock = false
Up = Wiimote.Up
Left = Wiimote.Left
Right = Wiimote.Right
Down = Wiimote.Down
Backspace = Wiimote.B
Enter = Wiimote.A
Spacebar = Wiimote.Home
Pageup = wiimote.One
Pagedown = wiimote.Two
C = wiimote.plus
Esc = wiimote.minus
endif

//CONTROLS (LOCKED)
if var.lock = true and (wiimote.up or wiimote.down or wiimote.left or wiimote.right or wiimote.one or wiimote.two or wiimote.minus or wiimote.plus or wiimote.a or wiimote.b or wiimote.home)
wiimote.Rumble = 1
wait 200 ms
wiimote.Rumble = 0
endif

// BATT LEVEL ON SHAKE
if wiimote1.gz > 3
var.shake1 = true
wait 2000 ms
var.shake1 = false
var.count  = true
endif

if var.shake1 = true then