windows 7 +smb
The "Windows Live Assistant" fix is crazy, but it worked for me. I spent a lot of frustrating time trying to figure out why my shares were suddenly broken. But uninstalling Windows Live Assistant brought everything back to normal.
Big Grin 
Hey i had the EXACT same problem, it had nothing to do with the windows 7 side for me. I figured out that in XBMC settings, under the network tab, you will find a place to enter an SMB username and password that it uses as default for accessing across the network. I just entered my Windows 7 Account name, NOT my computer name, and then my account password and it works like a charm. All my standard shares show up and access perfectly.
This "Windows Live Assistant" is bull crap. Had all same issues, try messing with sharing settings for 5 days now. Nothing. Uninstall it, everything is back to normal. WTH?
Same problem as the others, Windows 7 64-bit. Did not have Windows Live Assistant. Had already changed the default workgroup.

Fix for me:
Control Panel-> Network and Sharing Center-> Advanced Sharing Settings-> Password Protected Settings-> Turn off password protected settings.
Thanks for this guys I had it working for a bit and then I installed that "Windows Live Assistant" snf couldn't figure out why I could no longer connect.

Uninstalled "Windows Live Assistant" and all is well again.
i set my network to a "work" one, and all is working nicely. it also fixed the 7 -> xp smb issues. just thought i'd share what i did.
neil.j1983 Wrote:i set my network to a "work" one, and all is working nicely. it also fixed the 7 -> xp smb issues. just thought i'd share what i did.

Just put win 7 ultimate on my server and got rid of vista from all my comps..
SMB works great to xbox's and XP... The only problem i hate is that it still requires a username and password when attempting to access SMB from win 7 -> win 7 .. nothing i do will get rid of this which then locks xbmc up until i open a folder.. smb into the server (\\192.168.1.2\) and enter the username nad password...
markec13 Wrote:Win7 64 bit and XBMC share problems.
Uninstalled "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant" and it works!

I registered just to say that this works!!!! I thought for sure I was going crazy, but it was just the damn Windows Live SignIn Ass. Thank you very much for the useful tip!!!
Yeah Agent Nothing I just registered to say this worked for me too... Mine worked for a couple days, then it all stopped working when W7 prompted me to Activate. I thought it might have disabled something when it did, but it turns out it was that damn Windows Live SignIn Assistant. Every other device I have (wireless printer, laptops on wireless and ethernet, and desktops) all worked with the fileshare, but XBMC stopped working until I uninstalled WLSIA. VOILA!!
Exclamation 
Ok, so ive done so many things to get this to work. I'm not sure if the sign in assistant uninstall worked or not bc now when i go to SMB, nothing shows, no networks, computers, nothing! I prolly screwed something up, back when I had XP, my pc was set on the network "DFIRE-NET", xbox on "WORKGROUP" and it worked, but now having them on the same or different workgroups don't mean anything, can someone help me here...?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
windows 7 +smb0