XBMC Live NVIDIA/HDMI/Plasma is not "compatible"
Hi,

I´ve made some findings:

"Motherboards with NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i" in combination with a number of HD devices (panasonic PZ70, Pioneer PDP-507XD e.g) does not work togheter with XBMX Live (8.10 & 8.10.2 b1)

The motherboard sends out a low resolution HDMI signal at power on, but there is no picture displayed on the TV. This works with other HD devices, so the combination of motherboard(s) and mentioned HD devices is incompatible.
The cause seems to be that a number of HD devices does not support low resolution over HDMI (as is send out by the motherboard on power on)

This results in X not starting. I´m no linux expert but I´ve done some testing and there is one way I can get X to start:

1. Start computer with only VGA connected
2. When XBMC Live starts to load, I unplug VGA and plugin HDMI
3. Picture appears on my PZ70 using HDMI in 1920z1080

This is a work araround to make X start, but not a solution.

Vindows Vista handles this better, I can boot vista with only HDMI plugin and when nvidia drivers is loaded I get picture.

It is clear that X (XBMC Live) and Windows Vista handles this differently.

Is there a fix to make x start without having to do the cable switching I describe?

You can read more about other pople with the same problem at this location:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...ost1977744

I´ve written about my problem in this thread: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44758

Best regards, Daniel
I would forget xbmc live for now and follow this guide from the wiki. It has the same feel as live just better imo. If you cant get a Picture on your plasma using the ubuntu minimal cd (used in the guide) via hdmi, then i would complete the guide using vga then switch. Its worth a shot, better than swithing cables around.

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:I would forget xbmc live for now and follow this guide from the wiki. It has the same feel as live just better imo. If you cant get a Picture on your plasma using the ubuntu minimal cd (used in the guide) via hdmi, then i would complete the guide using vga then switch. Its worth a shot, better than swithing cables around.

cheers

Thanks. Can Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid be installed to a USB stick?
My idea when building a HTPC is that I don´t want a harddrive, to keep the noise level down.

This should be interesting for the XBMX developers, agree?

Br, Daniel
dannybullit Wrote:Thanks. Can Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid be installed to a USB stick?

yes it can. I think you might need a min 4gig stick though.

cheers
Could a developer answer why Vista works with HDMI only and not XBMC Live?

Br, Daniel
Olympia and I got hdmi working on xbmc live plenty of times, Not with the chipset you mention, but it should work with the latest nvidia (180) drivers and the latest alsa. I did Asus M3N78-VM and P5N7A-VM and also a 9400GT pci-e video card version, the b2 version of live should be even easier as you have a newer kernel to build on.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Olympia and I got hdmi working on xbmc live plenty of times, Not with the chipset you mention, but it should work with the latest nvidia (180) drivers and the latest alsa. I did Asus M3N78-VM and P5N7A-VM and also a 9400GT pci-e video card version, the b2 version of live should be even easier as you have a newer kernel to build on.

Dave

ok, understod Smile But do you have a panasonic plasma?

Many motherboards sents out 640 * 480 over HDMI at power on, a number ov TV´s can handle this low resolution over HDMI.

The issue seems to be that xbmc live fails to launch when hdmi haven´t been initiated att boot.

Br, Daniel
harryzimm Wrote:I would forget xbmc live for now and follow this guide from the wiki. It has the same feel as live just better imo. If you cant get a Picture on your plasma using the ubuntu minimal cd (used in the guide) via hdmi, then i would complete the guide using vga then switch. Its worth a shot, better than swithing cables around.

cheers

Hi,

I´ve installed xbmc on ubuntu 8.10 interpid

Still no picture when booting with hdmi only
works when I start the boot with VGA and then switch to HDMI

Could a edid adapter solve this?
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

I don´t want to by a new tv.

Another option could be a new graphic card that at power on outputs 720p over HDMI

any more suggestions are most welcome!

Br, Daniel
Any more ideas?

I´m stuck in limbo.

BR, Daniel
do you HAVE TO use hdmi? switch to the component in and that solves it in 99% of the cases.

I also notice that the Merantz top of the line Surround amp that does HDMI switching and scaling will work fine if the TV is watching another source when the XBMC box is booting.

you can also disable all monitor detection and force all your settings manually in your X config. That is how I set up the 3 XBMC live boxes I have.
timgray Wrote:do you HAVE TO use hdmi? switch to the component in and that solves it in 99% of the cases.

I also notice that the Merantz top of the line Surround amp that does HDMI switching and scaling will work fine if the TV is watching another source when the XBMC box is booting.

you can also disable all monitor detection and force all your settings manually in your X config. That is how I set up the 3 XBMC live boxes I have.

Hi!

I have I component in on my plama and it is already in use.

I´m thinking of using a manual hdmi switch to fake that the TV is of when powering on my HTPC.

Could you have a look here and say if my xorf.conf looks ok?
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p...stcount=22

Br, Daniel

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live NVIDIA/HDMI/Plasma is not "compatible"1