Upgraded hardware, worse performance
Hi,

I don't know if I have missed anything, but just today I changed a ASUS P5E-VM SE with a 8600GT 256Mb card to a ASUS P5N7A-VM with the 9300 graphic card.

Before the switch I had no issues at all, however when running Aeon Stark it seemed it took a little too much of the video memory because VDPAU did not work well. I had to use PM3HD. With PM3HD VDPAU worked very well.

After the change in motherboard I reinstalled the whole system (followed olympias guide, as I have done before) and compiled XBMC with VDPAU support. In the BIOS I allocated 512Mb to the GPU (4Gb total in the machine).

Something is not right here however. The GUI is lagging quite sevely (it's most obvious in PM3HD main menu where I can see the pulsating button "light" not really pulsating but lagging heavily. It's also quite noticeable in Cover Flow mode and screensaver). Consequently, movies are lagging as well.

The obvious difference from the old system is the hardware clearly and the upgrade to latest SVN and to the 185.x nVidia drivers from 183.x.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

SVN: 19398
System: Intrepid 8.10 - Linux HTPC 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 20:57:48 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
Motherboard: ASUS P5N7A-VM PCI-E SOCKET 775 M-ATX
Memory: CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC6400 (2X2GB)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
PC - TV connection: DVI - HDMI
Resolution: 1080p

http://pastebin.com/mddbc58d
I have exact same motherboard with a e8400. I also had slowdowns until i installed my ram in dual channel. Make sure you have your ram sticks in the same colour slot on the motherboard.

cheers
!"#¤%@$£

Thanks Smile

EDIT: Enforced PG-13 rating on (removed) comment about being half naked when installing computer.
No problem Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgraded hardware, worse performance0