M3n78-vm
I just switched to a New motherboard (I was using using a 780g board with 7300 nvidia card) worked fine but i got a M3n78-VM so that i could use the onboard HDMI rather than a HDMI to DVI converter. Now when i switch inputs on my sony amp to the SAT, when i switch back the display will not come back up. I can hear audio from the remote clicks but no Display.

Found the answer

You need to add:

HTML Code:
<osx_gl_fullscreen>true</osx_gl_fullscreen>To your advancedsettings file.

If you do not have an advancedsettings file, create one at /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

That should fix you up.

edit: this did not work
[quote=olympia]

This is how i used OLYMPIA's post to get HDMI audio on my ASUS M3N78-VM

Features are working:
- AUDIO over SPDIF or HDMI (including navigation sounds, stereo MP3s, DTS, etc)

Remaining issues:
- Suspend is not working (that would require new kernel)
- Shutdown splash is collapsed on this board, but this is the same with standard ubuntu installation as well (didn't find the reason yet)
- because of the 2GB space limit on XBMC Live root partition, XBMC rebuild from SVN is possible only once (after we install ASLA upgrade, there will be no space any more to do an other compilation of XBMC)

STEP1
Download and install XBMC Live 8.10 (I installed to an USB stick, but I would assume, the belows can be used in case of HDD install as well).

STEP2
Download the newest nvidia linux driver from nvidia.com (the file name is „NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19-pkg1.run” today)

STEP3
Download ALSA upgrade script (AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.tar) from here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p...ost6589810

STEP4
Untar the ALSA upgrade sript somehow (eg. Total Commander has a built in feature for this), than you will get a file, named: AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh (i used winrar)

STEP5
Make a new dir and name it „install” on the flash drive and copy over the freshly downloaded nvidia driver and ALSA upgrade srcipt into this dir.

STEP6
Boot into XBMC Live, than quit from XBMC (choose exit XBMC in the shutdown menu)
login on the console or ssh in remotely as per your convinience, using the user/pass: xbmc/xbmc

First of all, update the repos, and install all prerequisites using:

STEP7
Code:
#sudo apt-get update

STEP8
Code:
#sudo apt-get install -y subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient15-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils wget zip curl build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

Obviously it is a bit long to type in from the console, that’s why it would be more convinient to use ssh for that. (than you can use copy-paste). (I tried to use build dependencies from the repo, but I have difficulties with that, that’s why I recommend this manual way)

To upgrade nvidia driver:

STEP9
Code:
#sudo sh /mnt/install/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19-pkg1.run

In the nvidia installer: accept the Licence agreement, choose „YES” for „No precompiled kernel interface...”, choose „OK” for „No matching precompiled kernel interface...”, than choose „NO” to update X configuration file, than finally „OK” again at the end.

Now it’s a good time to an interim check if everything went OK, so reboot the system:

STEP10
Code:
#sudo reboot

STEP11
Than quit from XBMC (choose exit XBMC in the shutdown menu) again and log in, as in the very begining. To check if nvidia driver update was OK:

Code:
#grep -i "x driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
You will see the driver version here.

I hope, everything is fine, than we can continue with the ALSA upgrade.

To upgrade ALSA and enable digital (SPDIF or HDMI sound):

STEP13
Code:
#sudo /mnt/install/AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh -di

(did a fresh install only needed -di to make HDMI sound work)

then run alsamixer:

STEP16
Code:
#alsamixer

Note that you should see Alsamixer v1.0.19 in the title.
Navigate right with cursor keys until IEC958 and unmute all of them (IEC958, IEC958-D, IEC958-1) with „M” key. You should see in case of all IEC958 a „00” in green background. Press „ESC” to quit from alsamixer.

Reboot the computer:

STEP17
Code:
#sudo reboot

STEP18
After booted into XBMC switch to „digital” audio output, than choose the AC3 and DTS capabilities according to your receiver.
For SPDIF: leave audio output device: default and passthrough on IEC958
For HDMI: change both audio output device and passthrough to hdmi (you will loose analog sound eg. navigation sound in case of hdmi)

Thanks To Olympia i now have hdmi sound (had to do the two changes he had later in his thread)
I did not have luck with the svn it kept crashing
I used Putty for SSH http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

im now using rodercot's guide with a couple of changes

Code:
sudo sh ~/AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh -di
[/CODE]
I just used this guide and its perfect for the nvidia 8200 gigabyte board (amd). Now I need to try to get vdpau installed)

Quick note in your instructions I only used AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh for all4 steps not AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.15 for any. Was that a typo?
If you are using live b2 then you have a newer kernel and you only need to use version 1.16 with the -di option. You do not need to run snap on anything over 2.6.24 if I recall.

I upgraded to 1.0.19 with 1..16 this morning using -di only.

Dave
Dave do you only need to use -di

i used all of them -di was the last one that i used and it was the one that finally made it show up as

wildchild22 Wrote:I just used this guide and its perfect for the nvidia 8200 gigabyte board (amd). Now I need to try to get vdpau installed)

Quick note in your instructions I only used AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh for all4 steps not AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.15 for any. Was that a typo?

it was a typo

this is just a copy of olympias guide with the 3 or 4 library changes that came up in his thread
I used all of them in the order listed but I think the -i was the one that did it
indianolajohn Wrote:Dave do you only need to use -di

i used all of them -di was the last one that i used and it was the one that finally made it show up as

Sorry I guess you figured this out by now but

snap is outdated and no longer needed on newer kernels.

-d - downloads the file only
-i - compiles and installed what you just downloaded.
-di - donwloads, compiles and installs in one command.

You should only need to run -di on all the newest installs of 2.6.27-7=>

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
M3n78-vm0