basic questions
First, I see that people are either using, or trying to use mediaportal and xbmc. As far as I can tell mediaportal is, basically, a program for dealing with live tv. Am I right on this?

What I am trying to do is to build a machine that will download, and then play - downloaded movies, tv shows, etc. I am currently not interested in dealing with live tv although I have done that in the past and this machine will have that capacity (I already have the card). Given what is available for download I tend to believe that downloading is just easier and requires less fancy hardware. My machine has an amd x2 cpu and motherboard w/2gb of memory. I am going to use a radeon hd 3470 display card and am going to hook into a denon avr-788 receiver. I have a 1080p tv. Oh - I am going to use windows xp (I am also a ubuntu user and am familiar with Linux. I decided on windows to make sure I have full support for the display card).

I do wonder if I am going to be able to play everything on my tv but assume that given all the conversion, and scaling power, between the display card, xbmc and the receiver I should be ok. I also suspect that I should have probably asked more questions going in but, now, I gotta live with what I got. I would also be interested whether xbmc has the facility to control video output (or even if that is necessary).

I would appreciate is ANY thoughts on all of this as its kindofa new deal for me.

Thank you......
With Windows, the only question you need to ask yourself is whether your CPU is fast enough. I don't know AMD though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
basic questions0