• 5(current)
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?
Have you allocated 512mb of ram for the IGP in BIOS?
AllanMar Wrote:Have you allocated 512mb of ram for the IGP in BIOS?

Good one! No not yet, will try this first. Is it true that they removed the cache options from the menu? Is there any other way to configure this. I'm also going to set the TripleBuffer to "True" (xorg.conf).
Well, I must say I am very impressed with the Ion platform (Acer Revo) so far. Works like a charm with everything I've tried. The video decoding never uses more than 1% cpu on any clip using vdpau. Running Ubuntu Jaunty and XBMC from svn together with vdr-sxfe.
magho Wrote:Well, I must say I am very impressed with the Ion platform (Acer Revo) so far. Works like a charm with everything I've tried. The video decoding never uses more than 1% cpu on any clip using vdpau. Running Ubuntu Jaunty and XBMC from svn together with vdr-sxfe.

great news! how much ram do you have in the revo? (what model did you get - specs) I am considering getting the base model that comes with linux and 1gb of ram and 8gb ssd as it is only £150 in the uk. The next model up has 2gb - vista and a large hard drive.. the only thing that I would want on the base model is extra memory..

how fast does it boot?
what is the nic speed?
can you stream HD 1080p off of a NAS?
Well, I bought the only spec that was available in Sweden. It has 2GB RAM and unfortunately I had to pay for a 160GB hdd and Windows, none of the will ever be used since I boot linux off the network. I don't care about boot times since it's always on and since I don't use the hdd I run every clip (including 30Mbps of "killa") from my VDR/NFS server through cheap 100Mb switches.
What about a digital audio output? Availabe via the HDMI output? I want to get the 1Gb model too.
Excellent news on the NAS streaming "killa" exactly what I wanted to hear.. I will get the 1gb model and upgrade to 2gb and run linux also..

the audio over HDMI is another excellent question I! I wait with baited breath on the answer.
Yes, the only digital audio output available is through hdmi but that's ok with me for the moment.
Just ordered the 1Gb version. What else do I need?...just need an IR receiver I think.
FlappySocks Wrote:Just ordered the 1Gb version. What else do I need?...just need an IR receiver I think.

another 1gb of ram.. fom what I have read you need at least 2gb to be able to allocate 512mb to the GPU.

fomr the pics at bit-tech.net it looks as though it takes 2 x sodimm's - only question is does the 1gb version come with 1 x 1gb or 2 x 512mb?
This how the Revo looks mounted on the back of my LCD, together with a USB DVD player. HDD, WLAN card and top cover are removed since I don't need any of them. As you can see, the performance figures while playing "killa" are quite impressive, don't you think?
http://www.minhembio.com/magho
Yes I know, I will tidy up the cable routing! But with only two (AC power and ethernet) cables running to the TV that's not a very difficult job.
/Magnus H
magho Wrote:This how the Revo looks mounted on the back of my LCD, together with a USB DVD player. HDD, WLAN card and top cover are removed since I don't need any of them. As you can see, the performance figures while playing "killa" are quite impressive, don't you think?
http://www.minhembio.com/magho
Yes I know, I will tidy up the cable routing! But with only two (AC power and ethernet) cables running to the TV that's not a very difficult job.
/Magnus H

great job! can you tell me the model number (or speed rating etc.) of the ram please? so I can check prices for the upgrade from 1gb to 2gb
Well, the only problem with mounting the board on the back side of my TV is that it's not very accessible..... This it what dmidecode says anyway:

Handle 0x0010, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x000E
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 1024 MB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM0
Bank Locator: BANK0
Type: DDR2
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 2048 MHz (0.5 ns)
Manufacturer: Nanya
Serial Number: 15703265
Asset Tag: None
Part Number: NT1GT64UH8D0FN-AD

Handle 0x0012, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x000E
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 1024 MB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM2
Bank Locator: BANK2
Type: DDR2
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 2048 MHz (0.5 ns)
Manufacturer: Nanya
Serial Number: 16705271
Asset Tag: None
Part Number: NT1GT64UH8D0FN-AD

So it's obviously two 1GB DDR2 dimms, but I don't get what the speed figures mean.
needmorstuff Wrote:another 1gb of ram.. fom what I have read you need at least 2gb to be able to allocate 512mb to the GPU.

fomr the pics at bit-tech.net it looks as though it takes 2 x sodimm's - only question is does the 1gb version come with 1 x 1gb or 2 x 512mb?

Would like to know answer to this also, as my Revo turns up next week. I'm thinking it's probably a single 1gb stick in the base model, but need to confirm it.
According to Google, that P/N is a 667MHz DDR2.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?2