I am afraid I've been living under a rock
I honestly did not know about xbmc till I saw it on my friend's PC the other day. I was absolutely blown away. All these years of organizing my movies into folders were futile and i just gave up.
After reading the extensive wikipedia article on XBMC, I am installing it now on my PC. I was just wondering, since XBMC does not release new versions as frequently as mplayer builds, does it periodically update/download newer mplayer builds? Or is the mplayer in XBMC usually outdated?
If it does not automatically download newer mplayer builds, is it easy to manually download and update mplayer in XBMC?

I am sorry if this is not the right place to post but since I haven't even started using XBMC yet, I felt this isn't really support or troubleshooting. It's more like general discussion Smile
xbmc doesnt use mplayer
In ungrumpy terms, only the Xbox port of XBMC uses mplayer (for legacy reasons).
The other ports use the homegrown DVDPlayer, not available anywhere else.
Also may I suggest this Wiki as the source of your information in the future Wink

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Main_Page
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
that's what i've read everywhere, although since you're the developer, I am sure you know better. Or is it that it used to be based on mplayer and now it's completely in-house?
sho Wrote:In ungrumpy terms, only the Xbox port of XBMC uses mplayer (for legacy reasons).
The other ports use the homegrown DVDPlayer, not available anywhere else.
Also may I suggest this Wiki as the source of your information in the future Wink

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Main_Page

Thanks a lot, i didn't see your reply. I'll check out the extensive wiki. (and i thought the wikipedia article was extensive lol)
As to the somewhat unasked question, much as it was back in the xbox days, XBMC puts out a stable version once every long while, but regular, unofficial SVN releases may be found in the interim. Not each of these releases updates FFmpeg, but the team does a pretty good job staying on top of things.
Thanks a lot Nate, that is essentially what I wanted to know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I am afraid I've been living under a rock0