Media Flagging Guide for Aeon
Thumbs Up 
I've seen a few folks discussing Media Flags recently, so I thought I'd document what I know so far, and maybe it's of help to others:

Things you need to know:

1) AEON can show Media Flags for the Source, Resolution, Studio, Audio, Subtitles and Parental Rating portions of a Movie

2) The 'Source' of a movie CANNOT be determined from the video file itself, for this reason AEON will parse the FILENAME for a relevant string (see list below).
To my mind this could be improved by ALSO parsing the <Studio> tag in the NFO file (since a user could PUT the info in there)

3) The Resolution, Studio, Audio and Subtitle portions of a Movie are read from the <Studio> tag of the NFO file for a movie.
This is a kludge to overcome the limitation of tags in NFO files. I personally would have preferred the invention of new explicit tags, but that's just me

4) The recommended formatting of the <Studio> tag is:
<studio>studio name / resolution / video codec / audio format / number of channels / language / subtitle language1/ subtitle language2... </studio>
Here's a real world example
<studio>Lionsgate / SDp / WMV3 / WMA2 / 2ch / Sub /</studio>

5) AEON is not as smart as you'd think and actually pays NO heed to the recommended formatting!
The way AEON finds the Resolution, Studio and Audio portions on a movie is by simple String searching within the <Studio> tag. This is not even EXACT matching, it's substring matching, so whilst AEON looks for 'Fox', it will find 'Fox' in '20th Century Fox' and 'Twentieth Century Fox' etc.

6) AEON will deduce the Audio format of a movie by looking at BOTH the Audio Format and the Number Of Channels
This means that:
AC-3, 6ch = DD5.1
AC-3, 8ch = DD7.1
DTS, 6ch = DTS5.1
DTS, 8ch = DTS7.1
2ch = DOLBY (this is technically an incorrect assumption, but that's the way it works today)

7) Below is a list of the substrings that AEON is looking for. Remember they are SUBSTRINGS, so there's room for error.

[Source] (Remember, this CANNOT be deduced from the movie file, therefore it has to be explicity defined in the filename. If you're using Video_TS folders from DVD Rips, then I think you're screwed with the source tag (but the other tags should work fine))
bluray
sddvd
hddvd
hdtv

[Studio Name]
Fox
Universal
FilmFour or Channel Four
Disney or Pixar
Gaumont
Artists
New Line
Dimension
Touchstone
Hollywood
Carolco
Revolution
LucasFilm
Screen Gems
Warner
TriStar
Castle Rock
Studio Canal
Paramount
Dreamworks
Columbia
Mayer
Sony
Artisan
Lionsgate
Miramax

[Resolution]
SD
480i
480p
576i
576p
720i
720p
1080i
1080p

[Video Codec]
This isn't used by AEON

[Audio Format]
dts
ac-3
mp3
MPEG Audio

[Channels]
mono
2ch
5ch
7ch

[Language]
This isn't used by AEON

[Subtitle Language]
sub

8) There are a number of great folks who have extended the number of supported studios, and provided addition artwork (icons) for those studios. For the moment, these aren't part of the AEON release, but 'extensions' to it. They do not harm your existing AEON installation, they just add to it so that your slightly eccentric movie collection from strange studios are supported too!
If you find that you've got a movie from a studio that those guys haven't yet covered... you can can either ask them to add that new studio, or you could consider getting out a little more often.

9) To avoid having to manually edit your NFO files for hundreds of movies, there are some tools that can automate this for you.
Most of them work by reading your movie files to extract detailed codec information and figuring out the resolution and sound format etc, then inserting this information into your NFO file for the movie. Try this tool: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48138
Thanks for the write up. Will hopefully be helpful to many people.
Good idea with this thread. This will hopefully help out people new to aeon and stop the endless number of media flags threads.

Just 2 things you may consider, mp3 is officially supported by the audio flags so you could do with adding that, and perhaps you could add the mpaa rating lookups aswell.
helps alot as im a newbie as was wondering how to add! thanks

this should be a sticky
AnalogKid Wrote:I've seen a few folks discussing Media Flags recently, so I thought I'd document what I know so far, and maybe it's of help to others:

[Subtitle Language]
sub

Hi, I cannot find where and how this is used by Aeon. Help, please Eek
within the AEON (Auriga) skin... when you browse your movies in Library mode... there are four icons along the bottom of the screen used to show 'Studio', 'Resolution' etc...

To see them, you need to enable 'flags' - press the UP key whilst you're browsing movies in library mode... and then find the 'flags ON' option.
Can anybody post a nfo of a movie with flagging in them? I wanna see how it looks like.
theotocopulitos Wrote:Hi, I cannot find where and how this is used by Aeon. Help, please Eek

For subtitles, if AEON finds the 'sub' string in the <studio> tag then it assumes you have subtitles for your movie and renders an icon accordingly.
To actually USE subtitles, you need to play your movie, and in press 'select' in the movie... this should bring up a small navigation bar at the bottom of your screen (with play, ff, rew etc).... there is a button on the navigation bar that represents 'movie menu'... choose this menu, and you can enable / disable subtitles, decide where they should appear on the screen... plus many more options.

Usually, subtitles for a ripped movie are supplied in a <moviename>.srt / sub / idx file
I have been informed that video_ts folders (straight DVD rips) do not work with this tagging, even with nfo files in the folder as I do.

This has indeed been my experience. Might be worth putting in your write up there.
garyi Wrote:I have been informed that video_ts folders (straight DVD rips) do not work with this tagging, even with nfo files in the folder as I do.

This has indeed been my experience. Might be worth putting in your write up there.

Hummm, interesting, but not sure why they wouldn't work. AFAIK, Aeon won't care what sort of media you're using, it will simply deduce this info from the NFO file.

Are you sure the NFO file's <Studio> tag is correctly formatted? (Just look inside the NFO, find the Studio tag and see if there's anything in there beyond the Studio name... if not, that's your problem, if yes... then please could you paste it in here and I'll see if I can figure out the problem

The only issue I can see would be with the 'Source' tag... which is coming from the actual filename, which of course will not work for video_ts folders.... but the other tags should work
I don't understand why this wouldn't work either. Like he said all that matters is the nfo. When you scan your straight dvd rips with XBMC does it scan the NFO? If it does then this flagging solution will work perfectly for you.
krypt2nite Wrote:I don't understand why this wouldn't work either. Like he said all that matters is the nfo. When you scan your straight dvd rips with XBMC does it scan the NFO? If it does then this flagging solution will work perfectly for you.

That said... I have seen discussed the notion that 'EN' 'FR' etc for the subtitles would be picked up in the <studio> tag.... but as far as I can see ONLY 'Sub' is detected by Aeon.
The MIP program doesn't seem to add the 'sub' keyword as it should.
I could be completely wrong on all this... but it does look that way.

I will keep the OP updated as I learn more, or someone convinces me they are correct on something I can't personally verify
lompelurt Wrote:Can anybody post a nfo of a movie with flagging in them? I wanna see how it looks like.

Here's an example SNIPPET taken from 3-10 To Yuma... this isn't the entire file, but you should notice the <studio> tag

<id>tt0381849</id>
<tmdbid>5176</tmdbid>
<genre>Action / Crime / Drama / Western</genre>
<credits>Halsted Welles / Michael Brandt</credits>
<director>James Mangold</director>
<premiered />
<status />
<studio>Lionsgate / SDp / WMV3 / WMA2 / 2ch / Sub /</studio>
<studioreal>Lionsgate</studioreal>
<album />
<trailer>rtmp://amazonimdb.fcod.llnwd.net/a2643/o25/s/theaters/MV5/BMT/I2M/TE5/MV5BMTI2MTE5NzI3NV5BNl5BZmx2XkFtZTcwNDA1MTk3MQ4040?e=1241355366&amp;h=7849d27543633342d12caf74cfd8225f</trailer>
<watched>no</watched>
Here is a full one just in case.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<movie xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <fileinfo>
    <lastupdate>2009-04-30T00:58:15.484832-07:00</lastupdate>
    <version>1.3</version>
    <streamdetails>
      <video>
        <width>1280</width>
        <height>528</height>
        <codec>h264</codec>
        <formatinfo>AVC</formatinfo>
        <duration>1h 56mn 25s 583ms</duration>
        <bitrate>8 659 Kbps</bitrate>
        <bitratemode />
        <bitratemax />
        <container>.mkv</container>
        <codecid>V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC</codecid>
        <codecidinfo />
        <scantype>Progressive</scantype>
        <aspectdisplayratio>2.424</aspectdisplayratio>
      </video>
      <audio>
        <language />
        <codec>DTS</codec>
        <channels>6</channels>
        <bitrate>1 536 Kbps</bitrate>
      </audio>
      <subtitle>
        <language>eng</language>
      </subtitle>
    </streamdetails>
  </fileinfo>
  <title>300</title>
  <rating>7.9</rating>
  <year>2006</year>
  <top250 />
  <votes>199,858</votes>
  <outline>King Leonidas and a force of 300 men fight the Persians at Thermopylae in 480 B.C. </outline>
  <plot>It is spring 480 BC, Persian King Xerxes, continuing his father Darius' master plan to conquer the Hellenic city-states, arrives in Hellas. The previous Persian invasion and diplomatic attempts have already turned most northern Hellas tribes and states to the Persian side. But the people of Athens and Sparta, the largest Hellenic powers at the time, feel quite insulted by the Persian emissaries' request to surrender to Xerxes, and so slay them. In Sparta, King Leonidas consults the local oracle, who gives two options: Either a spartan king will have to be sacrificed, or Sparta will be burned to the ground. A year earlier (481, BC) a Panhellenic consortium of all southern city-states had already recognized the superiority of the Spartan army (the best organized and trained army at the time) and had declared King Leonidas as supreme commander of the combined Hellenic army. It is then decided that a small force should block Xerxes' way to southern Hellas in the Thermopylae passage. This passage was, at that time, 12 meters wide. The great historian Herodotus, possibly exaggerating, states that there were 1,700,000 Persians (their true number could have been anywhere from 100,000 to 1,000,000) against 7,000 Hellenic hoplites and slaves, including the 300 men of the Spartan King elite guard. King Xerxes waited four days for the Hellenes to be frightened and eventually surrender and was quite astonished by his opponents' complete apathy. Xerxes tried to convince Leonidas to drop weapons, give up his position, kneel before him and live on as a local governor under Xerxes. King Leonidas replied "molon lave," which means "Come and get them." The three-day battle began, with the 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians (the other Hellenes where sent by Leonidas to protect passages to their flanks) slaying thousands of Persians with minimal losses. The whole Persian campaign would have failed if it hadn't been for Efialtes, who showed Xerxes a secret passage to the Hellenic flanks. After a final battle led by King Xerxes himself, the Hellenic force was slain and their heroism and glory was written forever in history. From the beginning of the battle, the Hellenes buried their dead in the spot where they fell. Then battle signs where made for the dead of each Hellenic faction. For the Pelloponisians, (including the 300 Spartans) the sign generally read (free translation) "In this place 4,000 Pelloponisians fought 30 millions)." For the 300 Spartans (Lakaedaemonians), the sign reads (free translation) "Oh foreigner, tell the Lakaedaemonians that we are buried here obeying their laws," meaning that they never hesitated and never retreated from the enemy. The impact of the battle was enormous for both sides. The Persians' morale dropped to zero, and the Hellenes lost their fear for the Persian conqueror and organized their defense. After several successful battles, the Hellenes ultimately defeated the Persian army and repelled their invasion in the Battle of Plataea in 479 BC.</plot>
  <tagline>Feel the wrath in IMAX </tagline>
  <runtime>117 min </runtime>
  <thumb />
  <fanart url="http://www.themoviedb.org/">
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25454/300__XVID___2006_-fanart_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25454/300__XVID___2006_-fanart.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25460/300__XVID___2006_-fanart3_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25460/300__XVID___2006_-fanart3.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25463/300__XVID___2006_-fanart4_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25463/300__XVID___2006_-fanart4.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25466/300__XVID___2006_-fanart5_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25466/300__XVID___2006_-fanart5.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25469/300__XVID___2006_-fanart6_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25469/300__XVID___2006_-fanart6.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25472/300__XVID___2006_-fanart7_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25472/300__XVID___2006_-fanart7.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25475/300__XVID___2006_-fanart8_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25475/300__XVID___2006_-fanart8.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25478/300__XVID___2006_-fanart9_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25478/300__XVID___2006_-fanart9.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25481/300__XVID___2006_-fanart10_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25481/300__XVID___2006_-fanart10.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25484/300__XVID___2006_-fanart2_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25484/300__XVID___2006_-fanart2.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25487/300__XVID___2006_-fanart11_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25487/300__XVID___2006_-fanart11.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25490/300__XVID___2006_-fanart12_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25490/300__XVID___2006_-fanart12.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25493/300__XVID___2006_-fanart13_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25493/300__XVID___2006_-fanart13.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="image/backdrops/25496/300__XVID___2006_-fanart14_thumb.jpg">image/backdrops/25496/300__XVID___2006_-fanart14.jpg</thumb>
  </fanart>
  <playcount />
  <File />
  <Path />
  <filenameandpath />
  <id>tt0416449</id>
  <tmdbid>1271</tmdbid>
  <genre>Action / Comic Book / Drama / Favorites / HD / History / War</genre>
  <credits>Zack Snyder / Zack Snyder (screenplay) &amp;  / Kurt Johnstad (screenplay) and  / Michael Gordon (screenplay) (as Michael B. Gordon) / Frank Miller (graphic novel) and  / Lynn Varley (graphic novel)</credits>
  <director>Zack Snyder</director>
  <premiered />
  <status />
  <studio>Warner Bros. Pictures  / 720p / V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC / DTS / 6ch /  / subeng / micd1 / mifc1</studio>
  <studioreal>Warner Bros. Pictures </studioreal>
  <album />
  <trailer />
  <watched>no</watched>
  <actor>
    <name>Gerard Butler</name>
    <role>King Leonidas</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkzMTI2OTExMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM2ODQxMQ@@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Lena Headey</name>
    <role>Queen Gorgo</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkwODA2MjU1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg0OTE3MQ@@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Dominic West</name>
    <role>Theron</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM5NzgxNDExM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg4MTUxMQ@@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>David Wenham</name>
    <role>Dilios</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTcyNDIxMzcxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM4MjcyMQ@@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Vincent Regan</name>
    <role>Captain</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BOTIyNTA3NDc2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIwMDAzMQ@@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Michael Fassbender</name>
    <role>Stelios</role>
    <thumb>http://i.media-imdb.com/images/tn15/addtiny.gif</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Tom Wisdom</name>
    <role>Astinos</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTgzMDgwOTE3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU3NTE2MQ@@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Andrew Pleavin</name>
    <role>Daxos</role>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Andrew Tiernan</name>
    <role>Ephialtes</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU4NjE2MzA0M15BMl5BanBnXkFyZXN1bWU@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Rodrigo Santoro</name>
    <role>Xerxes</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjIwNjI1NTgwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU1ODkyMg@@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Giovani Cimmino</name>
    <role>Pleistarchos</role>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Stephen McHattie</name>
    <role>Loyalist</role>
    <thumb>http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTI3MTM2NTQzN15BMl5BanBnXkFyZXN1bWU@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Kelly Craig</name>
    <role>Oracle Girl</role>
  </actor>
</movie>
I have a question, its possible to read from name of the movie instead of reading into NFO file?
I've all movies in the same folder without any nfo filo, and if this is possible it will be very interesting for me because i have only to put at the name 1080p dts, and the ikons will appear automatically

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Flagging Guide for Aeon0