720P MKV Transcode UPNP
I try ps3mediaserver http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

and it's work fine with XBMC on Xbox. I play mkv at 720 and ps3mediaserver transcode on the fly. The only little but is 3 times the screen froze for 15-30.

Anyone have Idea ?
Has anyone tried ps3mediaserver with the xbox and xbmc specifically with the goal of playing 1080p and 720p content on the fly? I would much rather do the transcoding on the fly than have to go through the onerous process of converting mkvs to playable divx files.

I have found some info in the ps3mediaserver forums and then with this post that it works, but nothing that specifically says it will play HD content without choppiness. My xbox is wired via cat5 to my router and my PC is beefy enough to do the transcoding on the fly so in theory it should work. Given my setup, does it even make sense that it could work?

If it doesn't, I may have to just break down and get a ps3 (for the blu-ray).

I may give it a shot tonight just to see... it seems simple enough to setup.

ZÅmßìÉn
i've used it with xbox360 but my pc is not the best for those things... little choppy but it works. never tried with xbmc but probably will work
Well, i was able to get it to work. I am using tonight's build of xbmc and the current prod (non-beta) version of ps3mediaserver. I am able to stream and transcode. In the process of d/ling a test 1080p mkv to see if it will do what I want.
Big Grin

IT'S ALIVE!!

ok, sorry for the caps.

I am now able to play native mkv (720p AND 1080p) with ps3mediaserver with transcoding on the fly.

This means no more waiting to convert.

The only thing I had to do to get it to work was set max bandwidth to 40/mbps.
does it play at 720p resolutions thO?
How did you set yours up so the xbox can see the server?Eek
Im using Vista x64 with network discovery on
Xbox has UPnP enabled
HTPC
Operating System: Win7 64-Bit Pro w/SP1
System: Intel Core2Duo 3.0Ghz / 4GB PC6400 DDR2 / ATI HD 7770 1GB GDDR5
XBMC Build: Kodi 14.0
Remote: Harmony One and HP Receiver
Display: 65" Toshiba dlp HDTV
XBOX
XBox Version: 1.6b
Xbox Mod: XboxHDM (Ndure)
Xbox Hard Drive: Seagate 400GB[/size]
My TV is 1080i so I don't know if it will play 720p. There are options to force the resolution. The 1080p vids I've tried look better than anything I've ever played on my TV before and I have HD with my cable company. The trick is that it does the transcode to mpeg for the xbox. You can transcode it to whatever quality you want.

My xbox just saw it. Use the ps3mediaserver version on the main download page... 1.10.51. I had to enable upnp client, renderer, and for some reason upnp server in xbmc. not sure why.

I am using the most recent build of xbmc

oh, i'm on vista 32 home premium
Thanks for the tip. dont know why my xbox doesn't see it!
I'll just go look in XBMC hand book about networking Laugh
HTPC
Operating System: Win7 64-Bit Pro w/SP1
System: Intel Core2Duo 3.0Ghz / 4GB PC6400 DDR2 / ATI HD 7770 1GB GDDR5
XBMC Build: Kodi 14.0
Remote: Harmony One and HP Receiver
Display: 65" Toshiba dlp HDTV
XBOX
XBox Version: 1.6b
Xbox Mod: XboxHDM (Ndure)
Xbox Hard Drive: Seagate 400GB[/size]
kautious Wrote:Thanks for the tip. dont know why my xbox doesn't see it!
I'll just go look in XBMC hand book about networking Laugh

Well.. Can you see any UPnP connections at all? If not, then your router either
A. Doesn't support UPnP
or
B. Doesn't have UPnP enabled :p

If you didn't guess, more then likely it is your router and not your computer/xbox that is the cause of your problems..
zambien Wrote:Big Grin

IT'S ALIVE!!

ok, sorry for the caps.

I am now able to play native mkv (720p AND 1080p) with ps3mediaserver with transcoding on the fly.

This means no more waiting to convert.

The only thing I had to do to get it to work was set max bandwidth to 40/mbps.

This is highly highly interesting and useful to me.. How is your network setup (wired or wireless)...
If wireless how are you ensuring there is not signal drop at a higher bandwidth? My understanding of what you are saying is ps3mediaserver is "transcoding" which is taking the MKV data and reencoding it to another format as it streams to your xbox, is there any option for transrating on-the-fly (changing the bitrate, not the format). Currently i am working on a project to transrate content via upnp over a VNC connection dependent upon internet connection rates (for streaming video over the web from server to client) and orb is having problems transrating when working in directstream so looking for a different approach to the problem.
I've attempted to get PS3mediaserver up and running with XBMC on my xbox, but haven't been able to figure out how to configure everything as I'm totally new to media servers. Could someone write a simple walk through?
Great news!
A tutorial would be great.

Thanks a lot!

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Zambien - I just want to check on what type of Xbox you have. Has it been upgraded or is it just as it came out of the box (apart from being modded or course!).

I also don't understand how the Xbox can play HD content without the video stopping after a second or two. What skin are you using? Do you have an idea how much RAM is left while playing the transcoded material. How long was the clip you played?

Also you say you have set the bandwidith to 40mb/s. The Xbox can't cope with anything over 12mb/s so i wonder why it would make a difference.
Sorry forgot to say that if your TV is 1080i then you couldn't possibly play 1080p native. Not unless you meant to say that your TV was 1080p. Do you think the media server is downscaling to 1080i or lower?

What quality is the media server transcoding at? Do you actually know that it is 720p or 108i native that you are viewing?

Sorry for all the questions but if you have managed to play HD content on a Xbox without the video chopping up then you'll probably be the first!
Stan1971 Wrote:Zambien - I just want to check on what type of Xbox you have. Has it been upgraded or is it just as it came out of the box (apart from being modded or course!).

I also don't understand how the Xbox can play HD content without the video stopping after a second or two. What skin are you using? Do you have an idea how much RAM is left while playing the transcoded material. How long was the clip you played?

Also you say you have set the bandwidith to 40mb/s. The Xbox can't cope with anything over 12mb/s so i wonder why it would make a difference.
Sorry forgot to say that if your TV is 1080i then you couldn't possibly play 1080p native. Not unless you meant to say that your TV was 1080p. Do you think the media server is downscaling to 1080i or lower?

What quality is the media server transcoding at? Do you actually know that it is 720p or 108i native that you are viewing?

Sorry for all the questions but if you have managed to play HD content on a Xbox without the video chopping up then you'll probably be the first!

It is very easy to understand how to play HD content on an xbox when the xbox itself isnt doing any video processing. Basically he is offloading the majority of the memory and cpu hogging processes. The xbox is just viewing the data outputted in the stream piece by piece as it is being transcoded by the computer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720P MKV Transcode UPNP2