720P MKV Transcode UPNP
Yeh, i realised that cause i deleted all the port forwarding and nothing changed. To be fair i think i was stabbing in the dark and trying anything at the time i set the PF up.

I've now tried older software and it's still the same. The freaky thing was i had it working last night for a brief moment and the files disappeared when i rebooted the xbox.
Well it's working - by pure fluke!Huh

As long as i don't save after scanning the library then it's fine. If i save it and then restart http server or the software my folder disappears from xbmc.

Therefore everytime i use PS3MS i'll have to rescan the library and do nothing. Switch on the xbox and watch whatever and start all over again the next time i watch any HD content.

Surely notNo

There must be something wrong here.....
Hmmm - this is wierd..... the Mrs watched Mama Mia BDray rip tonight no problem - even remarked on how good it looked! - switched off everything not the server of course - I thought I'd catch a quick Dexter and yep the files have gone also!! WTF? Huh

Maybe we need to speak to the Author? it has a debug list... Perhaps he could become an XBMC fan! Wink
Back - all of them.. deleted the source on the Xbox - rebooted it re-added and its back.. Huh one thing I have noticed is that my server is running at 80%+ CPU... it only has P4 HT CPU....
I've not managed to solve my problem yet (nto saving or restarting library thing) but putting that to the side when i do play HD content using DVD player in XBMC it buffers around 2mins and then stops. I have tried setting the Mbits to 40 (Zambien's recommendation) but it chops up almost straight away. The only way i get to the 2mins is by setting it at unlimited (i.e "0").

I too have a P4 HT CPU 3.0Ghz with 2gb memory. Motherboard is an Intel 865PE Neo2 Series.

Is it a memory thing or a CPU thing? If i strip my system tray to Firewall and Anti-Virus plus PG2 (Parent Guardian) will that help?

The HD content is 720p .mkv and the faq for PS3MS states that a good P4 will be ok so is there anything i can tweak?
Stan - I'll try to get a start to finish guide written - I've been doing some more testing today and this only seems limited by the power of the machine dishing up the movies! Big Grin my laptop (core2duo 2.5Ghz 4gig RAM) will easily serve up a 1920x816 1080 HD scene rip!

My server I have added another 2gb of ram to and overclocked the cpu to 3.5Ghz (just testing it wont stay like this its a server) will do scene rips upto 1280x720 all with 5.1 audio but I have to lower the audio bit rate to 256 - the laptop I can keep the original 640Kb setting...

Anything like peer guardian will suck horse power - for the transcoder its all about grunt - more HP the better... I think most people with HTPC are just playing scene rips which with PS3MS the xbox can now also do!
I cant get it to show the files at all. Geeba it would be great if you couud give us a detailed guide on how to get this to work.
How do I get this thing to work its so bloody random and I still cant get it to pick up any files. This would be amazing for the xbox if we cud get it to work as then we wouldn't have to encode any rips ourselves which take hours.
Sorry fellas - life in the way at the mo... I'll do my best on getting something together soon... I've had pretty go results with it... whenever I turn my xbox on the paths are still there and content plays.
By following the steps above in one of my previous posts (and the amendments that geeba made) i'm now able to watch mkv's. Although my pc is the problem i think as it does stutter at fast moving bits. It also stops and gives up around 5-10mins.

Geeba - What are your settings? On the transcoding tab. Here is a screen shot of mine:

You have a similar pc spec to mine so this would help me a great deal. Have you been able to watch a full tv show or film?
I can't even get PSM3MS to show up as a Upnp device. Driving me mad this is.

Check the traces tab and it says it's worked and it should be available but it's just not showing up at all. The Xbox sees my WMP shares no problem though.

Colour me confused. Sure I followed the guide from upthread to the letter, as well. Bah.
Okay, I got it to show up as a upnp device. But, like others, nothing showing up in the Video folder at all.
Aaargh, this is so frustrating. I got it working very well twice, but it seems you need to redo the whole media library thing, every time you start. Even then it only seems to work occasionally.

It really worked well when it was going though - there's definitely something in this!
Did you read my post re not saving after scanning the library? That's what I still have to do to get it to show my shared folders in xbmc.

Also still playing around with quality settings as I'm getting approx 2000 dropped frames.

Have just realised that if I upgrade from my on board graphics to a seperate graphics card then things should improve as I think my on board graphics card can't cope.

Am I right here with this? Will a dedicated graphics card help?
Stan - sorry mate - the only time I get 5minutes to myself is at work at the moment as we have a new member of the family arrived.

By the sound of it your running out of Horsepower at the server end... are you using an Xbox for playback or HTPC? as upgrading you GFX card in the server will make no difference...

My server currently sits as a 3.5Ghz P4 775 (later type CPU, overclocked from 3.2), 4Gb of Dual channel RAM.... network is Gig through to 100Mb obviously at the Xbox.

From memory when I installed the PS3MS software I left everything default except "definately disable subtitles", "change the audio to 256" and set the transcode to "good quality", set your video path - check enable media libary (not sure on this one) Click save and then update your libary and restart the PS3MS software by clicking the centre button...

Enable UPnP on the Xbox and restart it - then browse to your shared folder.... once you start a stream playing look back at the "status" tab on your PS3MS... if the blue bar is decreasing faster than its being replenished your out of number crunching power and you will get dropped frames... look into a mild overclock or more RAM maybe....

My server will serve up 1280x533 and 1280x720 rips with the extra RAM and the mild overclocking I have done.... these are scene rips, not re-encoded just unrar'd and placed in a folder on the server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720P MKV Transcode UPNP2