720P MKV Transcode UPNP
Thanks for the reply Geeba. Much appreaciated especially when you're as busy as you are - and will be!

You have a faster cpu by 200mhz and 2 more gig of ram.

Have realised after speaking to our IT guy that a graphics card will do nothing for me - but thanks for confirming it.

I haven't disabled subtitles so i'll try that. I have recently set it to good quality instead of best and it made a difference but i still dropped frames. If the subtitles disabled and mild overclocking doesn't do the trick then i think i'll give up.

Thanks again.
No probs - sorry its been a while... remember to check the blue status bar on the PS3MS - this is the give away on the power front.... if you start a stream on the Xbox and immediently pause it - leg it back to your server you will see the progress bar/cache increase... let it fill up and unpause the stream on the xbox - it will play flawlessly until the reserves run out if your low on power it will depleat faster than your CPU can recode it.... I found this and then I went on the overclocking mission... Wink
Still had no joy with this. However I fired up the Xbox 360 (boo, hiss, etc) to see if it worked with that and it did. Interestingly the shared folders showed up not within Media Library/Video but just in Media Library.

Streamed a 720p mp4 with no obvious problems so I assume the PC can handle the transcode.

As such I guess that this is an issue with the Xbox itself rather than at the PS3MS end.
Nate Dogg III Wrote:Still had no joy with this. However I fired up the Xbox 360 (boo, hiss, etc) to see if it worked with that and it did. Interestingly the shared folders showed up not within Media Library/Video but just in Media Library.

Streamed a 720p mp4 with no obvious problems so I assume the PC can handle the transcode.

As such I guess that this is an issue with the Xbox itself rather than at the PS3MS end.

What build are you using? reasonably new? what UPNP settings have you enabled on the Xbox? - I did have trouble setting it up - but once its up and running I've just left it and its fine.... Nerd

One thing I have found... movies with .MP4 file extention dont play... have no idea why but movies with .MKV do.... I thought that was just the container... but not really sure....
I've put the clocking on the server back to 3.2Ghz and for 1280x720 rips I've set to /* Good quality for HD Wifi Transcoding */ and kept the 384Kbps 5.1 Audio and all is fine... for lower res stuff 1280x533 (I've found that a big percentage of 720p scene rips are this res) I can run the transcoder at */Best Quality/* also with the 5.1 audio. - pretty happy with this now.... a bit limited by the power of my server - but just watching 720p Bluray rip of Dexter and it looks/sounds great! Big Grin
Damn, PS3mediaserver cant find my Xbox.....Maybe because im running (testing :p) Windows 7...Upnp is enabled..so i dont understand why it dont find XBMC Sad
Shalashaska Wrote:Damn, PS3mediaserver cant find my Xbox.....Maybe because im running (testing :p) Windows 7...Upnp is enabled..so i dont understand why it dont find XBMC Sad

It wont.... your xbox will find the UPnP server that PS3MS creates.... PS3MS will only find PS3's
Geeba Wrote:What build are you using? reasonably new? what UPNP settings have you enabled on the Xbox? - I did have trouble setting it up - but once its up and running I've just left it and its fine.... Nerd

One thing I have found... movies with .MP4 file extention dont play... have no idea why but movies with .MKV do.... I thought that was just the container... but not really sure....

Yeah the build's from within the last two weeks, I'll check specifics when I get home. I enabled all the available upnp - client/server/renderer I think.

I wondered the same about the mp4 extension so downloaded a music video mkv, still the same problem.

As you say it's just a matter of getting it up and running the first time. XBMC wouldn't be so rewarding if it wasn't for feeling one's way round problems like this though, it's all part of the charm imo! Smile
I did it....on XP and Windows 7... i was able to play Supernatural S5E01 Wink....but strangely, after few tries, i couldnt find video anymore...i scanned and rescanned folder, rebooting XBMC and laptop...but nothing more o_O

I'll try again later when i'll be back from work Wink

(Just for info....my second try was made on old laptop (Pentium 4...512Mb ram....it wasnt perfect but enough to read HD with Wifi medium quality (maybe good Wink) enabled

Edit: Ive try to uninstall it...then reinstall......And i can see my folder contents....And i must do that everytime i turn off my Laptop running Windows 7...... o_O
Okay this is awesome! I can play mkv files that are 1280x544 perfect, but I am not able to play 1280x720. is this my computers problem or what. I have recently been re-encoding them one by one and i am having the exact same playback problem on re-encoded 1280x720 videos.
thebaum Wrote:Okay this is awesome! I can play mkv files that are 1280x544 perfect, but I am not able to play 1280x720. is this my computers problem or what. I have recently been re-encoding them one by one and i am having the exact same playback problem on re-encoded 1280x720 videos.

How much power does the machine serving up have..... if you go to the status tab on PS3MS and the blue cache bar is depleating faster than its filling then you have run out of HP. Eek - if so change the quality to HD over Wifi. - also hit title on the xbox remote while the stream is playing and take a look at the CPU utilization.
Thank you very much. I saw this thread last week and i can now watch mkv files (1280x544) on my xbox. Thanks again.
On Windows 7, problems seems to be related to mediadatabase on PS3MS...but how can we fix it....I'll try to contact the author soon.
Everyone, look in the applications forum for the latest beta version. It has support for XBMC, solved all my problems and even detects when the xbox starts and connects to my pc!
Link? cant find where you mean? supplementary tools section?

Had another look this morning ..... last version the author released was in March. Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720P MKV Transcode UPNP2