• 54(current)
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS
In case anyone is interested I have updated the MythTV wiki page on the Sony PS3 BD Remote at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_BD_Remote , to incorporate some of the ideas discussed here plus some other experimenting.

And also, if you're tailoring input.conf and want to use the two extra buttons on the newer PS3 remote controls - INSTANT back and INSTANT forward - their codes are 0x76 and 0x75 respectively.
Hello there !

I get a weird issue with my ps3 remote. Everything was working fine until i had to reboot my debian (actually, the computer just shut down for some reason). So i guess there was an update (i'm on testing), and some key of the remote don't work anymore. Like "display", which was bind to the keyboard key "i".
I did a showkey and the keycode returned when i press the button of the remote is 358, while the keycode i get when i press the "i" of the keyboard is 23.
I've tried searching for a way to obtain the correct hexa code to modify the input.conf but it didn't work.
The "enter" button still works, as well as some others like up, down, left, right and play.

Any idea how to get the correct code for the input.conf file so i can get all the keys to work again ?
Thx
First of all, it's worth checking that /etc/bluetooth/input.conf contains a line like one of the following:

0x70 = KEY_I
0x70 = KEY_D

Next you could try running bluetooth daemon in foreground, as this may give a few more clues as to what is happening - start an ssh session and type the following:
sudo service bluetooth stop
sudo bluetoothd -n -d

and try experimenting with the contents of input.conf.
I removed and reinstalled everything (bluez 4.91 pre-patched), and now it's working again. The remote is a bit laggy compared to before but it's not that important. Other "issue" is that the list-devices command doesn't return what it used to... I guess it'll have to do.
Only thing is i deleted my init script and can't find a working one anymore oops.
Interesting. With bluez 4.91 pre-patched does it have an inactivity timeout?

If you want to know where it's looking for input.conf you can use strace. (Run 'sudo strace /usr/local/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd -n -d' and it will tell you what files are being opened.) Where it looks for input.conf depends on how it's been compiled. If you specify 'configure ... --sysconfdir=/etc' then it will look for /etc/input.conf, but if you don't specify '--sysconfdir=/etc' then it will look for /usr/local/etc/bluetooth/input.conf .
Be sure to:
sudo apt-mark hold bluez , so that an upgrade doesn't upgrade the bluez package.

And you don't have to use the python script to pair. Just install blueman. Has been running for a year without any problems whatsoever here. Haven't even swapped batteries yet.
I believe blueman is working when you have a GUI, i use debian in CLI, i only use it for xbmc and not as workstation.
If anyone have a working init script for bluez 4.91 patched, that would be great. Or a way to make it work with monit, either is fine. I can't get it to work and i don't get why... Thx

@vaughan : yes there is a IdleTimeout setting, i've set it to 6 minutes. I have yet to check its accuracy. But my lag is somehow different. When waking up from idle, i have to push twice a button to wake up xbmc, then the third will actually do something. Back when i first got it working, i just had to press 1 time in idle to wake up xbmc then the second press would work. Not a really a big deal.

edit : finally made it work with monit !
But here's what i get when i do a list-devices :

[ /org/bluez/24568/hci0/dev_00_19_C1_55_39_83 ]
Name = BD Remote Control
Paired = 0
Adapter = /org/bluez/24568/hci0
Alias = BD Remote Control
Connected = 0
UUIDs = 0x1124 0x1200
Address = 00:19:C1:55:39:83
Services = dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('o'), variant_level=1)
Class = 0x00250c
Trusted = 1
Blocked = 0

I don't understand the Paired = 0, the ps3_pair script worked fined and the remote is working...
Yes blueman needs a gui. If you are so familiar Linux that you are able to install Kodi standalone, then you obviously are able to work around some python scriptsWink It was just a tip for the numerous people who may be using kodibuntu or similar. They are after all using Kodibuntu because of user friendliness..
I wish i knew python, maybe i'd have a better job haha.
New issue, as list-devices the remote is showing but i got Paired = 0 and when the timeout come, the remote won't connect back.
I have this error in bluetoothd (i use supervisord to start it without deamon with the -n option)

bluetoothd[29320]: Input: disconnect /org/bluez/29320/hci0/dev_00_19_C1_55_39_83
bluetoothd[29320]: Hangup or error on ps3remote socket

Tried unpairing/re-pairing, same thing...
(2013-08-29, 10:35)Kaleido Wrote: Hello, I would just like to confirm that after lots of hours wasted searching, trying en retrying this method worked straight away for me!

Just had to change the input file, which for some reason stated the timout in minutes but was actually counting seconds... the default setting of 1 minute (actually 1 second) wasn't comfortable Wink

Thanks darkshadow & Freezy for the clear instructions!

ps: I'm using the most recent XBMCbuntu 12.2-amd which is built upon Lubuntu 12.10 on a sony vaio SVE1512E6EW and I'm a complete noob Smile

(2013-01-01, 23:02)darkshadow Wrote: Hi Freezy,

Just to confirm the the code works on a fresh install of Xbmcbuntu RC2.

Here are the steps I followed including pairing.
Code:
SSH into your XBMC box

sudo apt-get install bluez libdbus-1-dev libglib2.0-dev python-dbus python-gobject
sudo service bluetooth stop
cd ~
wget http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/projects/bluez-ps3remote/bluez_ps3remote_4.91.diff
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/bluetooth/bluez-4.91.tar.gz
tar xvfz bluez-4.91.tar.gz
cd bluez-4.91
patch -p1 < ../bluez_ps3remote_4.91.diff
./configure --prefix=/usr && make
sudo make install
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/input.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/input.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/serial.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/serial.conf

sudo reboot

SSH into your XBMC box

cd ~
wget http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/projects/bluez-ps3remote/ps3pair.tar.gz
tar xvfz ps3pair.tar.gz
cd ~/ps3pair
sudo python ps3_pair.py

Follow on screen instructions to pair remote.
To check remote is connected run.

/usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices

Edit-update /etc/bluetooth/input.conf file as required

sudo nano /etc/bluetooth/input.conf

More detailed information can be found on the Wiki Page

Anyone? i cant get my harmony ultimate to work with kodibuntu
For the Harmony to work you have to add a new device ID to bluez code. Search my posts in this thread for details.
(2015-09-16, 14:40)CrazyCoder Wrote: For the Harmony to work you have to add a new device ID to bluez code. Search my posts in this thread for details.

Yes but the kitlaan website doesnt work wget

EDIT: thnx will try
(2015-06-14, 21:58)fostersimported Wrote: Hi All

install guide

I hope this helps somebody

Result

Code:
root@kodi:~/ps3pair# sudo python ps3_pair.py
Please HOLD the START and ENTER buttons on the PS3 remote.
Searching for devices, please wait...
Found:
1: 00:04:20:E7:2B:0A [Unknown]
Select the device you wish to add [1]: 1
Registering device...  Done

root@kodi:~/ps3pair# /usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices
Code:
[ /org/bluez/1039/hci0 ]
    Name = kodi-0
    Powered = 1
    Devices = dev_00_04_20_E7_2B_0A
    DiscoverableTimeout = 0
    PairableTimeout = 0
    Discoverable = 0
    Address = 00:09:DD:50:8A:1F
    Discovering = 0
    Pairable = 1
    Class = 0
    UUIDs = 0x1000 0x1001 0x1112 0x111f 0x110c 0x110e
    [ /org/bluez/1039/hci0/dev_00_04_20_E7_2B_0A ]
        Product = 0xc129
        Vendor = 0x046d
        Name = BD Remote Contol
        Paired = 0
        Adapter = /org/bluez/1039/hci0
        Alias = BD Remote Contol
        Connected = 0
        UUIDs = 0x1124 0x1200 0x1800
        Address = 00:04:20:E7:2B:0A
        Services = dbus.Array([dbus.ObjectPath('/org/bluez/1039/hci0/dev_00_04_20_E7_2B_0A/service0001')], signature=dbus.Signature('o'), variant_level=1)
        Class = 0x00250c
        Trusted = 1
        Blocked = 0

Tried the ps3_pair again.

Code:
root@kodi:~/ps3pair# sudo python ps3_pair.py
Please HOLD the START and ENTER buttons on the PS3 remote.
Searching for devices, please wait...
Found:
1: 00:04:20:E7:2B:0A [BD Remote Contol]
Select the device you wish to add [1]: 1
Registering device...  Failed ( Already Exists )
root@kodi:~/ps3pair#

But on the Harmony Remote it still searches for a connection, i think i need to indeed change that file for harmony support ill look into it
Unpair/remove it first, then repeat.
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS6