XBMC on a multimedia hard drive
Hello,

I just discover how great XBMC is and I was wondering if it could run on a multimedia hard drive ?

I mean, instead of the inside OS.
I use a Peekbox 3 from Peekton.

Thank you for your answers.

Bye
what is a peekbox 3
http://www.peekton.com/product_info.php?...445ef7545d
1200xjr Wrote:http://www.peekton.com/product_info.php?...445ef7545d

Good and bad news...

Bad:
You will not be able to run XBMC on this device in a 'standalone' mode. XBMC requires a host operating system i.e. Windows, Ubuntu, OSX etc

Good:
You can install XBMC in this device along with all your media AND run it from that drive IF it's connected to a PC. This is known as a 'Portable installation' of XBMC. Basically, the whole device is just acting as a USB drive... so this will work fine.

Do you understand the difference between the two?... it's significant. You cannot just take the Peekton and hook up a screen and expect it to run XBMC. But you CAN hook the Peekton up to a PC (or a friends PC) and without needing to install any software on that PC, run XBMC from the Peekton (providing you ensure the peekton and media always have the same drive letter, which is easy to configure).

Hope this helps, if not, let me know
that french link is all greek to me ;p

in either case it still did not list the important bits - which hw it has. but i suspect analogkid is correct, yeah.
yeah, what spiff said :-)
Ok, thanks a lot.
The Peekbox is just like a DVICO media server.

AnalogKid, I only do not understand your nex to the last sentence...
When you write "But you CAN hook the Peekton up to a PC (or a friends PC) and without needing to install any software on that PC, run XBMC from the Peekton (providing you ensure the peekton and media always have the same drive letter, which is easy to configure)."

Could you precise it to me ??

Thanks anyway for your constructive answer.
1200xjr Wrote:Ok, thanks a lot.
The Peekbox is just like a DVICO media server.

AnalogKid, I only do not understand your nex to the last sentence...
When you write "But you CAN hook the Peekton up to a PC (or a friends PC) and without needing to install any software on that PC, run XBMC from the Peekton (providing you ensure the peekton and media always have the same drive letter, which is easy to configure)."

Could you precise it to me ??

Thanks anyway for your constructive answer.

OK, IF you can connect your drive to a PC so that it looks exactly like a USB drive, then you can install XBMC to that drive (select Portable Install during the installation).
This will install XBMC onto the drive, and also place all your settings and information etc within the XBMC folder structure.
From then on... whenever you wish to use XBMC, simply run XBMC.exe from the drive and BE SURE TO USE THE -P COMMAND LINE SWITCH.

If you take the drive to a friends house and connect to another PC, you can still run XBMC the same way (without any installation on the other PC), and XBMC will run exactly as usual (with all your data and settings intact!).

This only works because the drive is acting NOT as a media player unit, just as a storage drive.

The reason you need to keep your drive letter consistent is because of the following:

Suppose your Peekbox has your media stored like this:

E:\
--XBMC
--My Media
---- Music
------ Abba
------ ACDC
---- Videos
------ Star Wars
------ Superman
------ The Exorcist

When you run XBMC and scan your media, it will store the media locations in the database as "E:\My Media\..."
When you move the drive to a new PC, it's important to make sure it's still mapped to E:\ otherwise XBMC won't be able to find your movies.

The easiest way to manage this on a PC is by using the Subst command. If you still need help, let me know.

You can still use your device as a media player without a PC, but you will not be able to use XBMC in this mode.
OK.
It's clearer from now for me.
Thank you very much for taking time to explain.

I'll try this.

ByeBig Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on a multimedia hard drive0