XBMC Can't connect to the internet on Vista x86
Hi All, I've just recently re-discovered XBMC after installing it on a small Atom based machine (running XP) to use as a network video player. After playing around with it for a bit I fell completely in love with it and decided to install it on my main media server / always-on desktop that is connected to my TV and wired to my network. This is the PC that the small XBMC "extender" was playing most of it's video from. This Athalon X2 runs Vista Ultimate x86 and I use VMC to record TV, etc.

Here's my problem... This machince has a solid and stable connection to the internet, every other app on the machine connects just fine, I have no downloads going. I have basically shut off every other app that uses network resources, but XBMC still can't talk to the internet. If I try to do anything that requires internet access (anything from checking for updates to adding rss feeds to checking the weather), XBMC locks up for a bit.

I'm including this log file that was generated when I tried to check the weather. http://pastebin.com/m41b25a40

I don't know if it's important or not, but I have a LOT of Hard Drives connected to this machine and a LOT of drive letters mapped. I know some of these drives are on drive letters that are forbidden (wrong term?) by XBMC, like Q and T (possibly others too but I don't know all the drive letters that XBMC doesn't allow access to). In order to play local files, all I did was map the computer as a windows network resource, just like I did on the "extender", so I can access those drives as network shares.
This method WORKS just fine, I can play any videos that are in network shares on the machine, but I mentioned it because I don't know if my drive mapping could be messing with XBMC's ability to access the internet.

Just to recap, my XBMC setup can't connect to the internet on my Vista Ultimate 32-bit system, even though the system is clearly on the network and connected to the internet (And there is another instance of XBMC running on a diff machine, on XP, on the same local network that works just fine).

Sorry if this question has been answered somewhere else, but I've been searching for a while now and can't find any answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think the multiple hard drive issue was resolved when XBMC started mapping to "special" rather than Q.

To me it sounds like you're missing two DLL files XBMC needs to run, except I thought that issue was resolved already. I'll leave this to a dev.

Edit: I noticed you decided to use the portable install. Out of curiosity, why did you make that particular choice?
Could you tell me what you think those two DLLs are called? I understand that you're not sure, but I'd still like to check just to see if they're there.

I'm not sure I had a great reason for doing a portable install. I think it's just the XP in me refusing to submit to the idea of how user profiles work in vista (UAC is disabled on this machine, btw. Not sure if that has any bearing though.) In my mind, if something goes wrong I can just delete the XBMC folder in Program Files and all setting will be reset. Also the machine only has one user.

EDIT:

Hazaa, I just got it working. It looks like exiting Comodo Firewall is NOT the same as disabling it (I just put 2+2 together with a problem I was having a few weeks ago). Sorry to waste your time, but a big thanks to the devs for making a friggin AWESOME media center app.
No fault of XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Can't connect to the internet on Vista x860