How do I save alsamixer settings on XBMC Live?
Hi all,

I have recently repurposed an old laptop to be my bedroom XBMC Live USB machine.
It uses an older Intel 915 chipset and works fine.

The only problem I seem to have with it, is whenever I turn it on and boot up the microphone is turned up to the max with the result being a wailing feedback noise until I [CTRL+ALT+F1] then sudo alsamixer and turn them down.

After that I [CTRL+ALT+F7] and I'm back into XBMC without the LOUD feedback.

My question is, does anyone know how I can save my ALSA mixer levels so that next time I dont have to do that every time?

Please anyone? Sad
"sudo alsactl store" will do it on a normal install. No clue about all that squashfs/cramfs stuff the live build uses.
Boot normally, set your volume level with "alsamixer, permanenty save them with "sudo alsactl store" (assuming you have created a permanent storage file) and lat but not least you have to remove the token "setvolume" from the grub line, or at next boot these defaults will be modified by the init script.

Now referenced in the FAQ, tks.
Hi all,

I did create a permanent save file when I installed XBMC Live, so I will try that and report back.
l.capriotti Wrote:Boot normally, set your volume level with "alsamixer, permanenty save them with "sudo alsactl store" (assuming you have created a permanent storage file) and lat but not least you have to remove the token "setvolume" from the grub line, or at next boot these defaults will be modified by the init script.

That did it!!!

Thanks all of you guys, and for anyone who stumbles on this in future:

Use this command to edit the grub file:
Code:
sudo nano /.bootmaedia/boot/grub/menu.lst
*Remember to edit the line that you boot, for me it was the line that listed:
Code:
title XBMCLive - Intel GPU

Just go to the end of the line under that which shows:
Code:
kernel /vmlinuz initrd=initrd0.img boot=usb quiet splash xbmc=intel,nodiskmount,tempfs,setvolume loglevel=0
And you need to delete the 'setvolume' part (Thats all).

Once again, remember to edit the line that you boot from.

THANKS ALL YOU GUYS FOR THIS HELP.
I wont wake up the missus anymore when I want to watch a late night movie.Big Grin
I need to mute all of my iec958 except to the iec958 O - Digital Out to have my sound work.

But after rebooting all the iec958 are unmuted againHuh

"sudu alsamixer" root appears to be correct but not just alsamixer as xbmc after the reboot.

I have tried "sudo alsactl store" and this does not correct it.
l.capriotti Wrote:Boot normally, set your volume level with "alsamixer, permanenty save them with "sudo alsactl store" (assuming you have created a permanent storage file) and lat but not least you have to remove the token "setvolume" from the grub line, or at next boot these defaults will be modified by the init script.

What I mis is, how do I create one?
anyone?
First post here tells how to create the permanent storage file on a USB stick
Thanks and would this work on HD installs to?

Because my xbmclive install on hd wont save alsamixer with sudo alsactl store.
McInen Wrote:First post here tells how to create the permanent storage file on a USB stick

Does one have to create a permanent storage also if you made yor USB stick via burned and booted Live CD?! Or only if you do it directly from the iso?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I save alsamixer settings on XBMC Live?1