• 167(current)
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
For a long time the Beeb have insisted that the Iplayer app looks, feels, and basically operates within a BBC enviroment, for a long time this was a major stumbling block to Sky getting access to Iplayer.
There is already a global iplayer which costs those overseas a lot less than we pay in the license fee http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...month.html

Your cynicism shows as much as mine, a publicly funded broadcaster shouldn't be worried about branding or look and feel within our boarders, the service that I/we pay for should be available on any platform we wish to view it on and the API should be made available to anyone who's paid for the service that wants it.
That being said if it takes XBMC/Kodi iplayer looking like every other version available I'd accept that but I think that would create a hell of a lot of work for anyone attempting it.
I knew this day was going to come - and I guess we are lucky it came later rather than sooner. I will follow the progress of the API, but it doesn't look like it will be of much help to us currently. A shame as others have said that they closed off the feeds before the developer API was ready for public consumption.

It might be possible to rework the player to scrape data from the website, but it is not something I have time to look into.

I started maintaining the iplayer plugin over 4 years ago - around the time they added additional security to the streams. I enjoyed getting it up and running again, and I hope it has been a useful plugin for people - 167 pages on this thread suggests it has been - or that it is full of bugs! ;-)

I would like to thank to everyone who has provided bug reports, feedback and fixes. Maybe one day I will have time to look into making a new plugin for iplayer, but for now I'm going to have to say thanks and goodbye. Cheers.

Of course if someone has a magical patchset to make it all work again, please do submit it Smile
Thanks for all the hard work. I am sure IPlayer will live again as an KODI addon....
Thanks for keeping it going all this time.
NP. Thanks for looking after it on your repo. Smile
really sorry to hear this.

my 4 year old will be devastated, the ability to put her favourite programmes on at moments of stress makes a huge difference to her (she has autism)

thanks for keeping it going. It has been a veritable lifesaver for the last couple of years.
Looks like getting a Fire TV last week was a good investment as I can still link the Amazon app to my favorites in Kodi.
Thanks from me too, this has been by far my most used and favourite XBMC addon over the last four years Smile
Thanks exobuzz, hitcher and everyone else who has worked on this addon, it's been great.

Equally happy I bought a fire tv last week...! Will have to invest in some fire tv sticks to replace my raspberry pis when they reach they uk too.
(2014-10-30, 21:18)stammie Wrote: For a long time the Beeb have insisted that the Iplayer app looks, feels, and basically operates within a BBC enviroment, for a long time this was a major stumbling block to Sky getting access to Iplayer.
There is already a global iplayer which costs those overseas a lot less than we pay in the license fee http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...month.html

Your cynicism shows as much as mine, a publicly funded broadcaster shouldn't be worried about branding or look and feel within our boarders, the service that I/we pay for should be available on any platform we wish to view it on and the API should be made available to anyone who's paid for the service that wants it.
That being said if it takes XBMC/Kodi iplayer looking like every other version available I'd accept that but I think that would create a hell of a lot of work for anyone attempting it.

Actually, the global iPlayer app is anything but global ! I'm a Brit stuck in the US for a few more months where the TV and radio is DIRE beyond belief. I'd gladly pay Auntie for access to the REAL iPlayer or even the GLOBAL iPlayer, but the US producers have fought tooth-and-nail to stop it and succeeded. Then, it's only available if you pay money to Apple who sell over-priced technology that is not open-source.

{BTW, living in the US has made me realise what a superb deal the average UK citizen gets from the BBC and the licence fee. When you suffer the appalling state of advertising-funded media, (even the public broadcasters here have advertising of some sort and there is a HUGE amount of editorial control through the influence of money), you are thankful that we have the Beeb that we do.}
(2014-10-29, 16:27)dlake02 Wrote: No longer working for me

As of a few hours ago....

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/feeds

This has nuked get_iplayer as well.

The Beeb was the only thing keeping us sane in this awful country (let you guess where).

Son is going to be very upset he can't watch CBBC any more - endless violent and banal cartoons with ceaseless adverts for stuff no-one needs, here we come :-(

get_iplayer is still working for me. I am using it on Lubuntu 14.04. I was using it tonight and downloaded 8 different programmes. From the command line I am running this command...

Code:
get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04n62lf/eastenders-28102014 --tvmode=flashhd,flashvhigh, --force

That address will download Eastenders. Simply replace it by copying the address of your desired programme from the iPlayer website in your browser and paste in place of my example address.

As an alternative to the iPlayer addon. You could use Plex. Setup a Plex Media Server on your PC and then install the PlexBMC addon in XBMC. You can now install the BBC iPlayer Channel on your Plex Media Server and access it from the PlexBMC addon. It works a treat on all 3 of my Raspberry Pi HTPCs, all 3 running Gotham 13.2 on OpenELEC 4.2.1. This also works perfectly in Gotham on my PC.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2014-10-30, 19:07)Grand Total Wrote: Another option is to start the program you want to watch on an iPad or iPhone and then 'forward' it to your XBMC instance using AirPlay. If only XBMC's support of AirPlay was a little more robust...

Can the same be done with some sort of android setup from say a phone?
(2014-10-31, 01:20)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2014-10-29, 16:27)dlake02 Wrote: No longer working for me

As of a few hours ago....

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/feeds

This has nuked get_iplayer as well.

The Beeb was the only thing keeping us sane in this awful country (let you guess where).

Son is going to be very upset he can't watch CBBC any more - endless violent and banal cartoons with ceaseless adverts for stuff no-one needs, here we come :-(

get_iplayer is still working for me. I am using it on Lubuntu 14.04. I was using it tonight and downloaded 8 different programmes. From the command line I am running this command...

Code:
get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04n62lf/eastenders-28102014 --tvmode=flashhd,flashvhigh, --force

That address will download Eastenders. Simply replace it by copying the address of your desired programme from the iPlayer website in your browser and paste in place of my example address.

As an alternative to the iPlayer addon. You could use Plex. Setup a Plex Media Server on your PC and then install the PlexBMC addon in XBMC. You can now install the BBC iPlayer Channel on your Plex Media Server and access it from the PlexBMC addon. It works a treat on all 3 of my Raspberry Pi HTPCs, all 3 running Gotham 13.2 on OpenELEC 4.2.1. This also works perfectly in Gotham on my PC.

The media is still there - the issue is that Auntie have locked down the method of getting information out.

So yes, you can still get the content, but finding it is a major PITA.

D
Thanks for all the work that's been done on this plugin over the years - it has been very very good to me and one of the best things about XBMC. Hopefully this API mess will be sorted out and all will be well again soon.
I will be making live sacrifices to the God of streaming TV each and every morning until this is fixed.

I hope this helps
  • 167(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)13