• 187(current)
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
Hi All,

I've got a problem in that the shows available aren't the same as those listed on the Website.

I've tried disabling the caches but it doesn't seem to be updating.

Any ideas?

Thanks
(2014-12-18, 03:36)haroldfinch Wrote: Hi All,

I've got a problem in that the shows available aren't the same as those listed on the Website.

I've tried disabling the caches but it doesn't seem to be updating.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Haroldfinch,

This is due to the limitations of the program data feed currently available from the BBC and the changes they have made not so long ago. The plugin will only list the last 7 days and may have gaps. If you want to view older programs or fill the blanks you will need to view via the iplayer website. I use the advance launcher plugin to launch Firefox from within XBMC for this purpose.

Read back through earlier posts in the thread for more info. Things may change if/when community access is made available to the new bbc nitro program feeds.

Hope this helps

DJ
It maybe possible for an app for desktop/mobile to send a programme id to iplayer to play (with a feature request to something like send to xbmc etc) - I may add the option of also manually entering a programme id. that way it should be possible to play stuff that is available but not via our data feeds.
Is the most recent version going to get pushed to hitcher's repo? Its only showing 2.6.4 atm
Thanks for the reply.

(2014-12-18, 11:49)djpudsey Wrote: The plugin will only list the last 7 days and may have gaps.

The only thing is that the programs are definitely within the last 7 days. I've compared the listing that I'm seeing through the add-on with those that are listed on the iplayer phone app and the website.
Does anyone have Live TV working with 2.6.10? It looks like it stopped working.
(2014-12-27, 14:42)rocketr Wrote: Does anyone have Live TV working with 2.6.10? It looks like it stopped working.

It was working yesterday on Cbeebies. Not tried since.

Just tried it and BBC1 worked.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2014-12-27, 14:42)rocketr Wrote: Does anyone have Live TV working with 2.6.10? It looks like it stopped working.
IPlayer 2.6.10 tested and working fine for me on my Pi running Milhouse's last OpenELEC Kodi 14.0 Helix build: #1214
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
Live TV is also not working for me, running OpenELEC 5.0.0 (Kodi 14.0) on a Pi with iPlayer 2.6.10.

I suspect that this is because I live outside the UK and using SmartDNS.
It looks like SmartDNS is not masking my address correctly for one of the URLs called when starting the live viewing.

I actually worked out it was a call to "vs-hds-uk-live.edgesuite.net" that was not being masked and opened a ticket with SmartDNS.
This is perhaps too much of an edge case as a result of the way that the iPlayer plugin for Kodi works and no one else is complaining about it so the SmartDNS folks have not done anything about it.
I can still watch live BBC using my laptop via SmartDNS so it works in that case.
In the meantime, I can live with live TV from FilmOn.

The problem that pains me more is that since about two weeks, I cannot access BBC radio programmes on-demand.
The programme listings are largely empty with just some old, old programs but nothing current.
E.g. if I go to Radio 6 Music, I only get eight programs listed but nothing "current".
I tried disabling the caches on the iPlayer to no avail.
I have to use the laptop for this again.
Are others seeing this behaviour or is it just me or SmartDNS again?!

Just to underline what others have said: I am eternally grateful for the great work folks have done on providing this software. Thanks!!
Live TV is currently working fine (BBC1, BBC2).

OpenELEC (Kodi 15.0) on Pi.

But I'm in the UK.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Just tested on OpenELEC (Kodi 15.0) on RPi (iPlayer 2.6.10) from Canada (Using UnoTelly Smart DNS)

Watch Live (BBC One, Two, Three, Four and News Channel) are all working for me (as well).

I also set "Stream source preference" to Akami in Settings (Streams).
I have two questions regarding the current version of iPlayer (2.6.10):

1. Is it possible to set the default view to "List" (instead of "Media Info")?

2. Is there an "official" repository for the iPlayer add-on (that would trigger automatic updates)?

Thanks.
One weird error that is currently occurring for UK users - iPlayer is creating "tbn" files in the Thumbnail cache that are actually HTML files...

I'm seeing this with latest OpenELEC on Pi, using the latest iPlayer (2.6.10).

It looks as though iPlayer (or maybe Kodi) is trying download and caching an image file (the channel logo), getting an error page and then writing the contents of the error page as the image file. I've gone back to a 1 December OpenELEC build and the same error happens, so it's probably in Helix (if it's a Kodi bug) or it's simply an iPlayer issue (Wrong channel logo url? Error detection not working?)

To reproduce: Enable Kodi debugging, then go into "TV", "Watch Live", switch to Thumbnail view, click on "BBC One" (or "BBC Two"), watch a few seconds of video then click on stop.

If you have the problem, the logo of the channel you clicked on will have disappeared (it sometimes appears, in which case try again with another channel).

When the problem occurs you should see the following messages in your log relating to the caching of the channel logo:
Code:
20:24:09 129.220856 T:2722169920    INFO: plugin.video.iplayer: Reusing existing thumbfile=/storage/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/9/9fba1969.tbn for url plugin://plugin.video.iplayer/?pid=bbc_two&feed_channel=bbc_two
20:24:15 135.511841 T:2740184128   ERROR: COMXImageFile::ReadFile /storage/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/9/9fba1969.tbn GetCodingType=0x7fffffff
20:24:15 135.511993 T:2740184128  NOTICE: LoadJpeg: unable to load /storage/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/9/9fba1969.tbn
20:24:15 135.770889 T:2740184128   DEBUG: LoadFromFileInternal - Load of /storage/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/9/9fba1969.tbn failed.

If you try to open the cached image, in this case Thumbnails/9/9fba1969.tbn, in an image viewer, you'll discover that the file is garbage.

Instead, you can open it in a text editor, and you'll see that it contains pure text, HTML in fact. Smile

The contents of BBC Two "tbn" is here: pastebin
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Someone will fix it after new year when they are sober Smile please open a ticket though. I've been working on retropie recently, which is great fun, and doesn't require arguing with BBC apis Smile
Issue #165, many thanks!

PS. It's not really a big deal so no rush, just something I noticed and that took me the best part of an hour to work out thinking it was something broken in Kodi or Pi firmware, before realising the image files were HTML. Smile
  • 187(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)13