• 73(current)
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
johnno43 Wrote:Mate your an absolute star, it worked perfectly first time.
Now i can really start to get the full benefit out of my system. My new server goes up next week and then there will be no stopping me.
This should prove invaluable to anyone else in the same situation as well
Thanks Myksterx
John

im glad it worked fine for you mate!

ive had my revo nearly 7 days now, it took me 5 days (plenty of hours put in) to get iplayer working! i am a complete newbie to the xbmc scene so im glad i saved you the hassle i went through..

i almost packed the revo back up and sent it back to the shop!!

enjoy your xbmc mate, i sure am enjoying every minute of mine!!!!
Mike
Hi Folks,

Been an XBMC user for many years now but finally decided to join.

I today updated to Dharma 2 and installed the Hitcher Repo BBC Iplayer and it works great untill i pause the show.
Once i un-pause the show it crashes after a few seconds.

Any thoughts?
Please report it upstream to xbmc on trac with a full debug log. http://trac.xbmc.org. I had problems with the pause/unpause code in the xbox version of xbmc. in the end the best solution was to comment out the pause code, so the pause is not a real pause (no pause command sent to librtmp). I thought the issue might happen on linux too, and I did reproduce it once or twice, but it was more difficult. Are you on windows by any chance ?
Running on Windows 7.
Yeh, I suspected the behaviour on windows might be closer to that of the xbox. Well, I can only suggest reporting it really. I was unable to solve it when I looked before, and it could even be a bug in librtmp perhaps. Please can CC "exobuzz" on the trac bug also.
exobuzz Wrote:Yeh, I suspected the behaviour on windows might be closer to that of the xbox. Well, I can only suggest reporting it really. I was unable to solve it when I looked before, and it could even be a bug in librtmp perhaps. Please can CC "exobuzz" on the trac bug also.

It clearly is not a problem with the iPlayer addon -- other addons have this problem too, including the Hulu player. It's a shame because it really limits the usefulness of the addon when you can't pause a show. Really hope this is addressed quickly Sad
gjlp Wrote:It clearly is not a problem with the iPlayer addon -- other addons have this problem too, including the Hulu player. It's a shame because it really limits the usefulness of the addon when you can't pause a show. Really hope this is addressed quickly Sad

Yeh. I meant I tried to solve it from the xbmc side (I'm currently deving xbmc on the xbox1). If you compile your own builds I can give you a quick workaround that removes the "pause" functionality. (you can still pause, but only resume so long as the stream doesn't time out. like a minute or so). I spoke to the librtmp author about this at one point, and he seemed to think that it must be xbmc rather than his library. im unsure. Perhaps its a deadlock issue.

Code:
diff --git a/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDInputStreams/DVDInputStreamRTMP.cpp b/xbmc/index e01206c..f462be0 100644
--- a/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDInputStreams/DVDInputStreamRTMP.cpp
+++ b/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDInputStreams/DVDInputStreamRTMP.cpp
@@ -219,7 +219,7 @@ bool CDVDInputStreamRTMP::Pause(double dTime)
   CSingleLock lock(m_RTMPSection);

m_bPaused = !m_bPaused;
-  m_libRTMP.Pause(m_rtmp, m_bPaused);
+  //m_libRTMP.Pause(m_rtmp, m_bPaused);

return true;
}

note this is a hack/workaround not a real fix. sending the pause commands is the correct way as it should enable pausing for much longer periods of time...
ndeshmukh Wrote:I just got this working today, from outside UK. I am using the Tor network to get a UK exit IP. Then using the s/w Proxycap for forwarding certain requests to the TOR network.

I set up the rules to forward certain addresses from XBMC through the TOR network. So only authentication goes through Tor network but the real data comes directly and fast.

Just forward these IP addresses... 212.58.0.0/16

Now this might be too wide a net for some people. Tweak accordingly.

Note: I am not using the internal XBMC proxy setting. Proxycap automatically intercepts certain requests and forwards them to the Tor network.

Hello,

Could you post more details on how you got your setup working with TOR? I am in the USA, have installed TOR, got so far as modifying the polipo config, but I can see from your post, I'm missing some key steps to get everything working properly....

Do in need to setup an account with a UK PAID Proxy service?

Jon
nojstevens Wrote:Hello,

Could you post more details on how you got your setup working with TOR? I am in the USA, have installed TOR, got so far as modifying the polipo config, but I can see from your post, I'm missing some key steps to get everything working properly....

Do in need to setup an account with a UK PAID Proxy service?

Jon

You shouldn't need to edit polipo's settings.

You need to add 2 lines to the torcc file.

Code:
ExitNodes {gb}
StrictExitNodes 1

Do this while tor is NOT running, or the change won't be saved. Next restart Tor and check that you have a UK IP address.

Secondly, you need a system proxifier. FreeCap and WideCap are both free options, but do have their issues.

Proxifier is a commercial product, but works perfectly. I haven't tried any others.

Using the proxifier, you need to set up a rule that forwards certain IPs from XBMC through Tor, but lets the others come direct.

Luckily, iPlayer doesn't use the same IP address to check your location as it does to actually stream the content, so forward this range:

Code:
212.58.0.0-212.58.255.255
Port 80

and you should be good to go.

HOWEVER

The live feeds do use the same IP address to stream and check location, meaning that live feeds must go through Tor and will consequently be very slow (As well as using precious Tor bandwidth).

Finally, I am not sure of the legality of using this loophole, so please don't complain if you get caught out. Also Mods, please delete this message if it breaks any rules.

I do know that this is not what the Tor network was designed for, so please do not use the live streams.
Seeking now works on Windows again -

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/34454
Hitcher Wrote:Seeking now works on Windows again -

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/34454

So does that mean we need to download the latest XBMC nightly build?

And, presumably, this just fixes the seek issue but not the pause/resume issue, right?
gjlp Wrote:So does that mean we need to download the latest XBMC nightly build?

And, presumably, this just fixes the seek issue but not the pause/resume issue, right?

Hooray! Latest Dharma 3 Beta fixes the seek issue - pause/resume still an issue but being able to seek is a major improvement.
Tomkun Wrote:You shouldn't need to edit polipo's settings.

Code:
ExitNodes {gb}
StrictExitNodes 1

Do this while tor is NOT running, or the change won't be saved. Next restart Tor and check that you have a UK IP address.

Secondly, you need a system proxifier. FreeCap and WideCap are both free options, but do have their issues.

Proxifier is a commercial product, but works perfectly. I haven't tried any others.

Using the proxifier, you need to set up a rule that forwards certain IPs from XBMC through Tor, but lets the others come direct.

Luckily, iPlayer doesn't use the same IP address to check your location as it does to actually stream the content, so forward this range:

Code:
Port 80

HOWEVER

The live feeds do use the same IP address to stream and check location, meaning that live feeds must go through Tor and will consequently be very slow (As well as using precious Tor bandwidth).

Finally, I am not sure of the legality of using this loophole, so please don't complain if you get caught out. Also Mods, please delete this message if it breaks any rules.

I do know that this is not what the Tor network was designed for, so please do not use the live streams.

Thanks Tomkun, embarking on this now - fingers crossed...

Jon
Tomkun Wrote:You shouldn't need to edit polipo's settings.

Code:
ExitNodes {gb}
StrictExitNodes 1

Code:
Port 80

HOWEVER

Hello,

Thanks for the help so far. This is where I've got to....

I am running Ubuntu karmic

iPlayer plugin installed in XBMC. I have TOR installed and working and Vidalia. Using TorButton I can toggle Tor on in Firefox, and can confirm I am getting to UK only sites (I modified torrc as you suggested).

Where I am stuck is

1) How do I get XBMC to use the Tor network
2) How do I configure proxifier to only router 212.58.0.0-212.58.255.255

Many thanks for your help - I think I am nearly there

Jon
Good so you got Tor working. Now to get XBMC to work with it, you have to use something which will intercept XBMC network requests to particular IP addresses and redirect it to the Tor proxy server.

I have used ProxyCap as I didn't have good luck with other stuff. So if you get that, it should be fairly easy. Tell proxy cap the prox server address. Which should be your localhost and the port address that you can get from Vidalia's settings. Then add the proxy rule, where you tell it to intercept for XBMC.exe those address ranges.

It should be failry easy once you install Proxycap.
  • 73(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)13