• 79(current)
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
Appreciate the effort that you put into all this, believe me!

New Dharma doesn't seem to have addressed the RTMP problem, which is a bit of a shame as I would love to be able to use this on our main system. I think that it's got to be an XBMC issue, rather than an addon, as I get precisely the same response from the TVCatchup and HULU addons, in the latter case assuming that it is running via a proxy.

Ho, and indeed, hum
Could anybody advise if there is a version of the plugin which doesn't have the live tv option for those who don't have a tv license? Thanks...
well iplayer watch live is avaliable on the web if you have flash and a web browser. so by that logic everyone with a computer would need a tv license.

you can always enable XBMC's master lock if you are paranoid about a TV Licensing officer checking through your computer.
UK TV Licensing - Check if you need one.
Well as the BBC are so keen to tell (probably better links - but first one to hand - live BBC News at time of writing):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10318089

Don't forget, to watch TV online as it's being broadcast, you still need a TV Licence.

Obviously this is their interpretation - needing a TV Licence even if you don't have a tv and don't watch broadcast tv (assuming you accept broadcast and streamed on the internet are not the same - which seems a reasonable thing to accept).

Perhaps the BBC would argue you need a tv license if you video conference online? Would they still consider it as live TV if the stream was buffered before displaying - 1 second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds etc etc. The limit to their claim is unclear.

The BBC attitude to me is an assault on the internet; and would seem to be an early claim that a license should be required for anyone owning any computer/piece of tech capable of viewing video, is in part why I'd prefer not to support the organisation with my cash.

I should note scrap the license and make the BBC compete and I will gladly pay for anything in which I find suitable value.

What is clear is their interpretation that 'live' requires a license, delayed does not.

For me the value of live BBC certainly wouldn't justify buying license. Given there is no problem accessing the 'catch up' offering without requiring a license it would be nice to be able to have an all in one option to include this (obviously in any case accessible via Wii). If they were subsequently to decide to make the catch up service subject to logging in with license credentials the BBC would still fail to offer value for license fee.

I should note I wouldn't be concerned with live streams from other sources. It would certainly be interesting to see enforcement action being attempted if somebody had say a subscription to Eurosport (or some other website offering streaming media) over internet, no tv, and no evidence of watching live BBC.

What is certain is with the plugin for live BBC and a dedicated media box they would argue a license as needed. Clearly this is easier for them than competing in a free market... A dedicated box and only 'catch up' would seem a tax efficient arrangement.

Sorry for the ramble - I trust reasonably clear.

Just about to post and noticed eddiem's link - that would seem to confirm the above.
Actually having now looked at eddiem's link correctly the BBC seem to have arrived at the logic that if something is offered 'live' it doesn't matter if it is saved for later consumption a license is required (so even though it can no longer be considered to consumed lived a license is needed). Yet if that same thing is accessed on demand no license is required. I am sure this makes perfect sense to them.

So if I understand correctly if a third party broadcaster was to offer a permanent link to their media - a link which would access their show when live and also when archived - then no license would be needed as the media would be on demand. If correct perhaps other media providers should attack the BBC from this angle.
studon, this isn't the place for a political discussion take it elsewhere.
gott_sei_dank Wrote:studon, this isn't the place for a political discussion take it elsewhere.

I would have thought the question of the plugin without the live element was reasonable. Clearly to be complaint with licensing there would be at least a niche demand. This would therefore be a technical question - not a political one.

Not to worry - easy enough not to install.
I would think its the same as using iplayer.. you can go there without a license, but watching it live would be a breach of the license. as with the software, just dont use the live stuff Smile not that anyone would ever check.
Much like in this thread for the youtube plugin, I found myself wanting to be able to trigger iPlayer shows from my computer, rather than having to navigate the XBMC interface, which while great, is a bit slow at times to control through a normal remote control.

So, I've created this greasemonkey script that will add a "Play in XBMC" link to your episode pages, which when clicked, will start playing the video on your XBMC box!

Unfortunately, this wont display the show information when you press 'i' during playback, this is related to [url="http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10958"]bug 10958[/bug].

Props to the authors of the plugin, and the authors of XBMC. Without them this wouldn't be possible. If you like this, donate to them!
why does the plugin keep kicking me out of my programme? anyone else had this?
I can't get mine to run. Tried it on my laptop and my Revo R3700, I can install the plugin on both but when I try to run both say it gets a script error. Any ideas why? I'm on Windows 7.

Thanks.
Finchy Wrote:I can't get mine to run. Tried it on my laptop and my Revo R3700, I can install the plugin on both but when I try to run both say it gets a script error. Any ideas why? I'm on Windows 7.

Thanks.

Hi mate,
I had problems trying to get it working on mine too.
Best thing to do is, uninstall the script.

and do it this way:

POST #1037
deepseth Wrote:Much like in this thread for the youtube plugin, I found myself wanting to be able to trigger iPlayer shows from my computer, rather than having to navigate the XBMC interface, which while great, is a bit slow at times to control through a normal remote control.

So, I've created this greasemonkey script that will add a "Play in XBMC" link to your episode pages, which when clicked, will start playing the video on your XBMC box!

Unfortunately, this wont display the show information when you press 'i' during playback, this is related to [url="http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10958"]bug 10958[/bug].

Props to the authors of the plugin, and the authors of XBMC. Without them this wouldn't be possible. If you like this, donate to them!

very nice. I'll fiddle around and see if this will also work with 40d
Great stuff and thanks! Installed on a Revo (XBMC Live 9.10) and works fine. Running iPlayer through firefox is just as easy. (I still get random sound failures but that's another issue...)
  • 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)13