New Install no log file?
I just installed xbmc and it will not start all I get is

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

My system is Mythbuntu 8.10
I installed via repositories
http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-intrepid/ppa/ubuntu

I have no ~/.xbmc/temp directory.

I am guessing that the install is faulting before any log is created, is that possible?
Backtrace needed. If there's no core file generated, enable it by typing "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting XBMC. For more instructions please read the links in my signature.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I checked the link about what is needed to submit a proper bug report, but I think something is missing from the description (or more likely I am being thick).

It says that "You need to install debug packages for the program that crashed." but gives no clue how to do this.

I did type in ulimit -c unlimited then enter then xbmc. should I now have a log or a backtrace somewhere? Where would it be?

Sorry I hope you don't mind helping me.
The core file should be located in your users home.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks.

I found a core file in my home directory. It is described as 3.6MB Crash Data and it does not look like a text file. I don't think I can paste into pastebin.

Do I need to find some other place to host it as a file?
You will need to generate a backtrace using "gdb <path/to/xbmc.bin/> <path/to/corefile>". Just type "bt" after getting the gdb prompt and pastebin the result.
I think I did it.

http://pastebin.com/m5051b8e6
Seems as if you're missing a proper video driver. Make sure that OpenGL is properly configured (See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ).
Thanks, missing driver was the problem. I couldn't work out what the onboard video was so I put in an NVIDIA card I had lying around. Working well now.
vdrfan:- Wiso added a check to detect OpenGL drivers in windows, shouldn't this check be in linux as well ?
There's a python script that's launched instead on linux. We didn't want to *require* gtk/qt/etc just for a silly dialog.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Install no log file?0