[LINUX] XBMC for Linux running on NVIDIA Ion reference box (with VDPAU enabled)
empty Wrote:Your Mediastream looks differently! Because of using Linux instead of me using the Windows "version" or did you modified your Mediasteam?

sssshhhhh. You did not see that, really Smile
davilla Wrote:sssshhhhh. You did not see that, really Smile

More info? =)
davilla Wrote:sssshhhhh. You did not see that, really Smile

hrhr Big Grin so than make more videos ^^ it is a new official/unofficial version of MS or a custom build? :-)
Just ignore the mediastream for now, its not important.

Its a 230 according to the BIOS, can't really tell you any more than that, I see two CPU's but I assume that's just hyperthreading.
A single core Atom? Cool...
...but back to the more important question: are we gonna see a special ION-only build maybe sometime soon?
b_balthasar Wrote:Wow, that's really impressive Big Grin
I was just wondering what the cpu usage is like for the iplayer h264 streams on the atom 330. Does anyone know if they are gpu accelerated on ion boxes under linux?

Yes, they are fine - the video shows me playing a 720p file directly off iplayer infact. However, i very much doubt flash itself would play them.
rudi123 Wrote:...but back to the more important question: are we gonna see a special ION-only build maybe sometime soon?

I don't know what a "special ION-only" build would entail. Normal XBMC for linux works fine on it.
rudi123 Wrote:...but back to the more important question: are we gonna see a special ION-only build maybe sometime soon?
I think that rudi123 might be referring to XBMC Live as it is today, or maybe a future version of it based on the Moblin Linux distro
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moblin

XBMC Live is today based on a standard installation of Ubuntu, while Moblin was originally specifically designed for Atom based Nettops and Netbooks for fast booting and appliance like setups.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Well, i was thinking about an equivalent to Live with the ability to install to a local disk - but stripped down to the minimum needed drivers and optimized for loading speed, disk usage and working standby/resume etc on IONs.

It looks like ION platforms could become THE ideal hardware for a small and simple htpc for lots of people who don't want to spend time in hardware assembling or installing/configuring linux. Therefore the team should think about an own branch for it.
rudi123, I totally agree. This is the first real replacement for the old Xbox. I've been using a shitty TViX 6500 for my HD needs ever since abandoning the Xbox. Can't wait to get back to XBMC again Smile
Definitely something I'm crossing my fingers for. The Intel guys got the boot-time down to 5 sec by cleaning out the gunk on moblin. There is a lot of promise here.
Well if there ever was going to be a release it would be better to call it Atom focused rather than Ion as who knows how long Ion will exist (It's not looking good in the long run).

Intel moving Atom to system on chip (CPU,GPU,memory controller etc) no Nvidia parts to be paired with.

Intel wont allow third parties build Atom SoC.

Future Atom's paired with an Nvidia GPU could become quite rare. I just hope Intels video decoding capabilities get a lot better for future versions if were saddled with its GPU's.
rudi123 Wrote:Well, i was thinking about an equivalent to Live with the ability to install to a local disk - but stripped down to the minimum needed drivers and optimized for loading speed, disk usage and working standby/resume etc on IONs.
That is already the vision for XBMC Live, why would Ion hardware need its own "branch"? Huh
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Starstream Wrote:Future Atom's paired with an Nvidia GPU could become quite rare. I just hope Intels video decoding capabilities get a lot better for future versions if were saddled with its GPU's.

I seriously hope that AMD comes up with something like an Atom soon. But as they're also integrating the GPU onto the CPU die, maybe that would be the same problem. nvidia is kinda stuck atm.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux running on NVIDIA Ion reference box (with VDPAU enabled)0