• 3(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a standard Ubuntu installation into 'XBMCbuntu' set-top-box style
Bahndit Wrote:I've got everything installed and running (I can run XBMC from fluxbox just fine) except for the xbmc-live script. When I run sudo apt-get install xbmc-live I get the following response:
I had the same problem when I installed fluxbox to test startx(as perguide)
This problem didn't appear when I skipped installing a windows mananger to test X.

Edit: perhaps xbmc-live is doing us a favour by not installing when It detects a windows mananger. Probablly a good thing imho.

Edit2: Look at this post also : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327&page=40
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
Thank you for providing this. This is a great guide I just used it and have a fully functioning XBMC install that boots right to XBMC! Just what I always wanted!
Zeppstar Wrote:do_stop() {
touch /tmp/noRestartXBMC
killall Xorg xbmc
}
There is no such process called "xbmc"; it should be xbmc.bin instead. I think, reversing the killing order (i.e. killall xbmc.bin Xorg) is better. Cheers!!!
@zeppstar:

Good work adapting those scripts! I already considered adapting the runXBMC.sh script myself to solve the shutdown 'problem' I mentioned and also to make an exit of XBMC possible. Your input is surely useful in this!

By the way, Yesterday I went on installing the XBMCLive CD to the harddisk after all. I had too much problems with Ubuntu Jaunty adapted to XBMCLive, most notably my SPDIF out not working. And it seems XBMCLive still has a dramatic boot time improvement above an ubuntuminimal-to-xbmcbuntu.

To my disappointment, last morning I lost spdif in this setup, too (stupidly after adapting xorg.conf to add some tv output options, which have completely nothing to do with sound :S). But OK, this is off-topic and has nothing to do with xbmclive Wink... I guess, still digging through the numerous posts about XBMC with spdif and linux sound trouble in general No

Maybe some of you (team-xmbc?) also know the answer to the following I encountered...

In the ubuntuminimal-to-xbmcbuntu setup, when I called the shutdown dialog of XBMC, I only had the options to shutdown the system, info and the warm-restart xbmc. Right after installing xbmclive cd, I also had options to reboot the whole system and to put it asleep. But after an apt-upgrade to keep up with packages, the sleep and reboot options disappeared. How would I get these back?

Let's hope L.capriotti and other xbmclive maintainers will be able to make the runXBMC scripts some more robust with input from this thread Big Grin. But they already have done a tremendous job anyway Smile.
Woohoo! Glad to see a minimal install guide is back. I still follow the old one though since if I set it up on ubuntu 9.04, in a year I'd have to upgrade the distro. Hence why I prefer the old one since I know 8.04 will have support for 3 years. Plus it's good for those who want to test the svn version for the developers, submitting bugs always helps I say Smile
since the Boxee guys have released a version that finally includes VDPAU support (kind regards to Team XBMC): what would be the best solution to integrate Boxee into the XBMCbuntu installation and have the option to switch between both media centers?

http://www.boxee.tv/
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Does the wiki get updated once new drivers are available?

Like right now, it seems 185.18.14 is the latest one, but on the wiki it says NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg1.run

Do we just replace the old filename with the new one? Are there any conns to using a newer driver contra the old? Or is it all good?
just replace the filename, the steps are OK for newer releases
l.capriotti Wrote:just replace the filename, the steps are OK for newer releases

When I try to do an sudo apt-get update I get the following error, after following the guide you pointed me to exactly;

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A956EB81318C7509
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Edit: Nevermind, I think Ill manage to get around it.

Edit: Or not.. hehe, might be a bit to hardcore for me.
sudo apt-get install xbmc-ppa-keyring
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
capriotti, as the maintainer of XBMC live/XBMCbuntu, do you have an idea about my project regarding Boxee "dual-booting" http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=357...stcount=36 ? Cool

any help appreciated
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
l.capriotti Wrote:sudo apt-get install xbmc-ppa-keyring
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Still gives the same error.

But it doesnt seem to matter.

One more question tho; You say we need to put xbmc=nodiskmount,noredir loglevel=0 in entry 0. WOuld that mean just adding it to the first "record"? Like ;

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic
uuid dc758b50-ed53-4f10-b8bf-3ca823d047ac
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-13-generic root=UUID=dc758b50-ed53-4f10-b8$
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-13-generic
xbmc=nodiskmount,noredir loglevel=0
quiet
thescorp Wrote:Still gives the same error.

But it doesnt seem to matter.

One more question tho; You say we need to put xbmc=nodiskmount,noredir loglevel=0 in entry 0. WOuld that mean just adding it to the first "record"? Like ;

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic
uuid dc758b50-ed53-4f10-b8bf-3ca823d047ac
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-13-generic root=UUID=dc758b50-ed53-4f10-b8$
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-13-generic
xbmc=nodiskmount,noredir loglevel=0
quiet
Yes. I added to the line after the kernal line, so it's between the kernal line and the initrd line. I asked this same question earlier b/c the guide made no sense.
Thanks Superorb. Guess it might be making sense if you know a bit more than what I do. I really do want to get this running on Linux.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:capriotti, as the maintainer of XBMC live/XBMCbuntu, do you have an idea about my project regarding Boxee "dual-booting" http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=357...stcount=36 ? Cool

any help appreciated

one way could be to play with the file runXBMC.sh and replace xbmc cmdline with boxee one; if you want to have both of them available you can add a custom parameter on the kernel cmdline, have it recognised by runXBMC.sh and launch XBMC or Boxee accordingly.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a standard Ubuntu installation into 'XBMCbuntu' set-top-box style3