SMB client default username and password
I understand this has been removed, which is a shame.

I use the same password for my user on three Windows PC's at home as well as my MacBook. I've always simply set up a smb:// source under Videos and been able to browse to video files I had acquired on various PC's easily.

Since the default username/password has been removed, for the sake of simplicity I've opened up the shares on the Windows PC's so that anyone can access them and that works. I don't want to do this on my MacBook though since it frequently gets connected to networks where I don't want people accessing my files.

The problem is that when I try to Add Source my MacBook home directory I can't browse to the private share, it goes by default into the public share (which I also need) and never prompts for a username or password. Nor have I found any way to force the username or password via the interface.

Any tips?

Regards,
Michal
michal Wrote:I understand this has been removed, which is a shame.

I use the same password for my user on three Windows PC's at home as well as my MacBook. I've always simply set up a smb:// source under Videos and been able to browse to video files I had acquired on various PC's easily.

Since the default username/password has been removed, for the sake of simplicity I've opened up the shares on the Windows PC's so that anyone can access them and that works. I don't want to do this on my MacBook though since it frequently gets connected to networks where I don't want people accessing my files.

The problem is that when I try to Add Source my MacBook home directory I can't browse to the private share, it goes by default into the public share (which I also need) and never prompts for a username or password. Nor have I found any way to force the username or password via the interface.

Any tips?

Regards,
Michal

When you create your source mapping, try embedding the common user/pass into the SMB share... i.e.

Code:
smb://username:password@server/Movies
or
smb://username:[email protected]/Movies  <== using the IP address
Add Source->Browse->Add Network Source->Fill in all the info you need.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB client default username and password0