[LINUX] VDPAU and embedded SSA/ASS subtitles?
Ok, that's weird. I tried again this morning, & subs are corrupt again.
I definitely spot-checked half a dozen files, including skipping, and it was fine previously. I haven't changed any settings since, but have powered down/up.
Wierd thing is that it now works for me. Just updated to the newest PPA SVN version.

I pray that it will work tomorrow Tongue
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
I just want to mention that I'm also hit by this system font problem but using SRT subtitles in MKV containers. Subtitles look always OK but going back to GUI and fonts sometimes are garbled. Using 185.18.14 nvidia driver, asus P5N7A-VM, and svn 23660 (having seen this problem for some time now).

I'll do an svn update today and report if it is fixed.
pilluli Wrote:I just want to mention that I'm also hit by this system font problem but ...

Earlier today I had my system fonts get garbled and I didn't play anything with subtitles. I booted and then, afaik, just played a mkv with vdpau. Very weird.

=darwin
Kurosama Wrote:Hi,
not solved for me:
nvidia 190.36 from avenard repo
svn23711
Switching to another render and then back to vdpau still fixes the problem.

Does this fix the corruption in the GUI?
TREX6662k5 Wrote:Does this fix the corruption in the GUI?

Sorry but I can't help:
I've never experienced gui corruption.
Kurosama Wrote:Sorry but I can't help:
I've never experienced gui corruption.

Right so this fixes corruption in the movie your playing with SSA/ASS subtitles?
TREX6662k5 Wrote:Right so this fixes corruption in the movie your playing with SSA/ASS subtitles?

The "trick" to switch to another render and than back to vdpau is the only workaround at the moment to display ssa/ass correctly.
Kurosama Wrote:The "trick" to switch to another render and than back to vdpau is the only workaround at the moment to display ssa/ass correctly.

Kurosama, could you please describe your "trick" in a little more detail. I've tried switching renders during playback, but am still ending up with every second line of SSA subtitles garbled.

What's your order of operation for the workaround? Thanks.
LastMile Wrote:Kurosama, could you please describe your "trick" in a little more detail. I've tried switching renders during playback, but am still ending up with every second line of SSA subtitles garbled.

What's your order of operation for the workaround? Thanks.

Hi,
the workaround was found by Robobandit.
1. Start to play a file with vdpau render.
2. Stop it
3. In Setting->Videos->Player change the render from vdpau to GLSL or ARB (Not to Software)
4. Replay the file, and this time the subs are ok
5. Stop the playback
6. Reset the render to vdpau
7. Replay the file with vdpau, now with working subtitles.

Yesterday I discovered another workaround:
before playing any file accelerated by vdpau, play some content that uses another library (like a dvd for example). Then if you play a vdpau accelerated file ssa/ass subs work.

Hope this helps.
Bye.
Kurosama Wrote:3. In Setting->Videos->Player change the render from vdpau to GLSL or ARB (Not to Software)

Awesome. Thanks (to Robobandit as well). I'd only been changing between VDPAU and Software rendering.

I think I accidentally discovered your other workaround today as well. I didn't have a problem using VDPAU after playing some music files with visualisation on.
Just wanted to ad that the problem is back Tongue
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
This should now be fixed on SVN.
Building now!! Big Grin Thanks motd2k
I dont get any subs with build r24143. How do I go back to get subs?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] VDPAU and embedded SSA/ASS subtitles?0