[XBOX] HOW-TO fix Windows Vista and Windows 7 SMB Shares for XBMC
Thumbs Up 
Anyone who's recently updated their PC to Windows 7 RC probally has noticed issues with SMB Shares when connecting to shares from the xbox, either not connecting at all and requiring password to reports of dropping connection randomly.

After much frustration and 10,000 different suggestions to try that didn't work in getting Windows 7 SMB shares to work with XBMC for Xbox, I finally found one post talking about MTU settings on the PC being the culprit.

Sure enough, on my PC that did the trick. But since I changed many other settings, I applied the MTU change on a 2nd PC that also did not work running windows 7 as the ONLY change - and SMB shares are now working as they once did in Windows XP. So i've confirmed it is solely the MTU issue causing SMB to not work and all the other suggestions are not needed.

To apply the fix, open start menu, and in the search box type cmd but don't press enter.

On the search results, right click on cmd.exe and click Run as Administrator
click yes to UAC permission prompt.
Once Command Prompt is open, paste the following command
Code:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

This disables auto tuning MTU values which is whats causing the problem (XP and earlier used static MTU)

But now you need to go SPECIFY the MTU to use.

press Windows+R to open Run, and type regedit
Click yes on the UAC permission prompt and regedit will open.

On the left you will see a tree structure of folders, you want to open the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

So in other words. you click the HKEY_Local_Machine folder, then you click the SYSTEM folder, then the CurrentControlSet folder... etc until your at Interfaces.

Under interfaces you will see 1 or more folders with a bunch of random numbers and letters

Theres no easy way to tell which you want, but when you click on 1 you should see alot of data popup on the right.

If you know your computers private IP address, simply click each one until you see the one that has DhcpIPAddress that matches your IP.

If you can't figure out which one is the one you want, simply do the next step for every single one under Interfaces.

When you click on your interface, go to Edit -> New -> DWORD (32 bit) Value
enter the name "MTU" in all capitols (without the " " around it).

Now it'll be on the list, double click it to edit it.

On the entry box, you should see it have HEX selected, enter the value:
Code:
5d4
If you wish to input DEC (Decimal, normal numbers), use 1492 instead.
Press OK.

Now on the MTU entry it should look like this

Code:
MTU              REG_DWORD         0x000005d4 (1492)

If you need to repeat this for every interface, do this now. Just need to add the MTU key with value of 1492 for your interfaces.

Once you are finished, reboot and you can now access smb://user:pass@yourPCname/sharename/ as normal, or simply smb://yourPCname/sharename/ if you have user/pass saved under Network settings in XBMC Settings.

I don't take credit for this fix, I found it on some forum god knows where, but I figured id write up a noob friendly guide so hopefully a mod will sticky it to help everyone else having this problem. (Searching for SMB Share problems on vista/windows 7 will result in tons of results, many people are having this issue)
It works perfectly for me with the default settings, i did disable the new security settings though (2 options)
you're most likely just getting lucky and having your MTU settings match XP currently.

the post I found this on mentioned different MTU settings will cause the problem, and by default 7/vista is 'auto tuning' so it changes it as it sees fit.

If the OS decides to change it yours likely will stop working too. So I recommend you make the change too.
It does change on the fly constantly, but i have had no problems with it.
This has been working perfectly fine for +/- 4 months now
Why 1492?

As far as I know, an MTU of 1492 is only used so that an adapter directly connected to a DSL modem can function properly with PPPoE authentication.

Standard Ethernet MTU is 1500.

Is there a special reason that I'm not aware of that 1500 wouldn't work?

Maybe the extra 8 bytes would help our throughput Wink

-Wes
Thank you for putting this information in one place. I was beginning to think i would never find a solution. This has been happening to me since build 7000, and you have provided a working solution. Nod
I think it depends on your hardware's capabilities whether you need this fix or not
ok now if only you can help me fix the problem where by everytime i log into my win7 smb shares from the xbox i need to go unshare them and re share them every time i want to get back into them.

that was a really long and confusing sentence. so here you go...

i have some folders shared on my win7 box. i like to watch movies from them. i can log into them fine from xbmc. but only once. as soon as i turn off the xbox, if i turn it back on again and try and log in, IT WONT. the only way i can get them to share again is... go to the pc, unshare them ( a window pops up saying 1 user is log in blah blah blah) and re share them again.

HOW THE HELL DO I STOP THIS?
well after numerous crashes after making this change... i have gone back to normal settings.

still cant seem to get the problem of smb shares stopping after a certain period of time....
and the problem of having to reset the connections everytime. Sad
In case anyone stumbles on this thread...I updated to a new build and couldn't get smb access from my XBOX. I must have set up computer as a business network and for some reason couldnt get smb access.

How I solved:
Type Workgroup in search box
Click network ID
Click this computer is on a home network not business

Worked for me
Thanks mcborzu I had done everthing above plus adjusted security settings in registry but until I changed network id I couldn't see the shares. However it didn't work first time as I reset the computer as instructed and I still couldn't see the shares on my xbox. It was only an hour or so later when I checked again I realised that the value had reset on reboot. When I altered without the reset it worked.
just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions I could try? I have tried all of the above, and keeps asking me for username & password after I put it in.

mcborzu Wrote:In case anyone stumbles on this thread...I updated to a new build and couldn't get smb access from my XBOX. I must have set up computer as a business network and for some reason couldnt get smb access.

How I solved:
Click network ID

Worked for me

Every time I do this and reboot, I check the setting and it has gone back to "This compute is part of a business network". Even if I don't reboot it goes back to this.

Appreciate any help, I'd been using Win7 build 7069 with no problems, but when I upgraded to 7201 I just never got it to work and I can't understand why!!:confused2:

TIA!
some more to the above post that may or may not mean something.. I have a HTPC in another room with Vista and XBMC running. I can access shared drives through Vista on this machine no problem, but XBMC has the same problem as happening on my xbox.

I have not been able to get my 360 Media Center to access either, it keeps saying I do not have permission.

I don't know, maybe it is a severe case of User Error! Sad
this isn't working for me either
mcborzu Wrote:In case anyone stumbles on this thread...I updated to a new build and couldn't get smb access from my XBOX. I must have set up computer as a business network and for some reason couldnt get smb access.

How I solved:
Click network ID

Worked for me

you my friend are a bloody life saver, this problem was driving me up the wall, and several rebuilds didnt fix it. Thanks

Nope same problem came back after reboot Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] HOW-TO fix Windows Vista and Windows 7 SMB Shares for XBMC0