[LINUX] XBMC for Moblin V2 Tested - Ongoing project for NVIDIA Ion based platforms...
kees1869 Wrote:http://motd2k.xbmc.org/xbmcmoblin_deps.tgz seems to be down. Anyone else have this problem and if so could someone possibly mirror it?

Works here - just grabbed it again.
prae5 Wrote:Works here - just grabbed it again.

I've been trying for a few days and I still can't grab it, weird...
vdrfan Wrote:kali, you've measured the boot sequence yet? I would like to know if it's as "slow" as it's for me (expected it to be much faster than a normal ubuntu boot).

I'm going to try this weekend on my regular xbmc box since I had good luck with the vm. Will report back with boot times.
I did both motd2k's and vdrfan's tutorial and got everything running, I have a few questions left though. How do I start XBMC directly (without starting moblin), this was described in estyx's tutorial which is offline at the moment.

I was also wondering if there's a way to have both hdmi audio and the regular digital audio out (opt/coax) working at the same time? I couldn't get audio over hdmi working before (anyone succeed at this?).

Thanks to everyone for all the tuts btw!
kees1869 Wrote:I did both motd2k's and vdrfan's tutorial and got everything running, I have a few questions left though. How do I start XBMC directly (without starting moblin), this was described in estyx's tutorial which is offline at the moment.

Edit /etc/inittab, find the line which starts 'xdm' (or was it gdm?) and replace it with 'start_system'. Then download start_system and xinitrc scripts from GitHub (link @ first post). Copy start_system to /bin, chmod +x the file. Then use find ((sudo) find /usr -name xinitrc) to find the xinitrc script located somewhere in the /usr directory and replace it with the one you downloaded from GitHub. It should work like it should after a reboot. But I'm just pulling this from my head now so there's no guarantee Blush

(if it still starts up the moblin interface you can try to see if replacing the xinitrc in /etc/X11 solves the case)
Sad 
I'm trying to launch XBMC only and not the Moblin interface on the regular Moblin version (not the dev image). Does anyone know how to do this properly? I'm kinda stuck right now. Any help would be very welcome.
kees1869 Wrote:I'm trying to launch XBMC only and not the Moblin interface on the regular Moblin version (not the dev image). Does anyone know how to do this properly? I'm kinda stuck right now. Any help would be very welcome.

Did you try this:

estyx Wrote:Edit /etc/inittab, find the line which starts 'xdm' (or was it gdm?) and replace it with 'start_system'. Then download start_system and xinitrc scripts from GitHub (link @ first post). Copy start_system to /bin, chmod +x the file. Then use find ((sudo) find /usr -name xinitrc) to find the xinitrc script located somewhere in the /usr directory and replace it with the one you downloaded from GitHub. It should work like it should after a reboot. But I'm just pulling this from my head now so there's no guarantee

(if it still starts up the moblin interface you can try to see if replacing the xinitrc in /etc/X11 solves the case)
rrambo Wrote:Did you try this:

Yes I did, but estyx's tutorial uses the dev image of moblin which is very different to regular image I'm using (and as his tutorial is offline, I did motd2k's tutorial which is based on the regular image).
Hi,

Anyone doing a install to a USB memory stick? I'm getting stuck at boot at the Moblin boot screen. Need help with a Zotac N230. At first I was getting a kernel panic with the keyboard lights flashing. Googling found I needed to rootdelay=8 to the kernel boot options. That helped, but now stuck at the Moblin boot logo. Don't know where to go from here.

Thanks
pbjr Wrote:Hi,

Anyone doing a install to a USB memory stick? I'm getting stuck at boot at the Moblin boot screen. Need help with a Zotac N230. At first I was getting a kernel panic with the keyboard lights flashing. Googling found I needed to rootdelay=8 to the kernel boot options. That helped, but now stuck at the Moblin boot logo. Don't know where to go from here.

Thanks

Which version are you running? The 0802 release hangs at the boot logo here as well, the 0710 image works fine.
Lightbulb 
the installer of 0802 here have missed to create the initrd file

at boot press E and edit the command line removing the quiet and vga option
if you get kernel panic unable to mount root fs this is your problem too (you can also check the presence of the initrd using grub's builtin command line completion or with a live cd)

to create the initrd, reboot with a live cd (you can also use the moblin live image) then mount the partition where moblin is installed and chroot on it

# /usr/libexec/mkliveinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.30.3-4.1.moblin2-netbook.img 2.6.30.3-4.1.moblin2-netbook

( mkinitrd didn't work )

and append
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.30.3-4.1.moblin2-netbook.img
to /boot/grub/menu.lst
HTPC: Zotac ION 330 on Linux Gentoo/Ubuntu BD Remote (bdremote-ng) 20x4 USB LCD
kees1869 Wrote:Which version are you running? The 0802 release hangs at the boot logo here as well, the 0710 image works fine.

Kali Wrote:the installer of 0802 here have missed to create the initrd file

at boot press E and edit the command line removing the quiet and vga option
if you get kernel panic unable to mount root fs this is your problem too (you can also check the presence of the initrd using grub's builtin command line completion or with a live cd)

to create the initrd, reboot with a live cd (you can also use the moblin live image) then mount the partition where moblin is installed and chroot on it

# /usr/libexec/mkliveinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.30.3-4.1.moblin2-netbook.img 2.6.30.3-4.1.moblin2-netbook

( mkinitrd didn't work )

and append
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.30.3-4.1.moblin2-netbook.img
to /boot/grub/menu.lst

I was running 0802.

Kali - I tried your commands. It looks like everything ran. I did get "ldd lib/udev/*: No such file or directory" after running the mkliveinitrd. Thanks for mentioning the removing of vga, I already had quiet removed but now I know why I wasn't seeing the boot messages. It went further but I still got a blinking cursor at the end. I gave up and went to 0710.

I'm up and running, doing the updates now. Tomorrow, I'll install XBMC.

Thanks to you both for the help.

-PBjr.
pbjr Wrote:I did get "ldd lib/udev/*: No such file or directory"
i got the same message, but this is not a problem

with 0802 there is some incompatibilities with nvidia driver or recompiled xorg with xinerama enabled which displays empty menu
Kali Wrote:but many or all the optimization made by intel to boot on in 5s on SSD (10s on legacy hd) isn't there, the sreadahed need a kernel patch to trace open file, initrd is still in use ...

Kali, can you further explain this. Are we running a crippled version of Moblin? I'm totally new to Moblin, up until this post is the first I ever heard of it.

Thanks
pbjr Wrote:Are we running a crippled version of Moblin?
moblin2 is in a beta stage

many of the improvement for 5'' boot on SDD are described here http://lwn.net/Articles/299483

also sreadahead (0.0.4 on moblin2) is tuned only for SSD, using it on rotary hdd give some penalty

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC for Moblin V2 Tested - Ongoing project for NVIDIA Ion based platforms...1