1080p and Samsung Series 8 Plasma TV
Hey guys,

I just bought a Samsung 850 ( pn58b850y1f ) and I cant seem to set XBMC to 1080p. I was hoping that I would be able to see the 24hz in action.

When I turn on my HTPC the TV sets the resolution to 1080 at 60hz but in the screen resolution settings the best I can achive is 1080 @ 50hz.

any suggestions ?

Thanks. . Smile
HTPC SPECS:Samsung Series 850 58" PDP
[email protected] (full Screen)
XBMCLive : 10.00
HDD: 500GB WD Blue MOBO:P5n7a-VM
GPU: Geforce 9300/nforce 730i/PCI/SSE2
MEMORY: 2 GIG 1066MHZ DDR3 (single)
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
put this in your Xorg.conf

Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"

thats all.

thankx to boba23 Smile

see this link:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50574&page=2

Greets Dev/x
Thank you.

Just had a quick look for that config. Where is its default path ?
/home ?
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
I added the line and I am now able to select the resolution. Smile
I have a problem with VDPAU. When I had 1080@50hz the player would play the media back with no problems (Smooth) but at 1080@60hz I get horrible performance (Jerky playback). When I use GLSL it plays back seems fine in most cases. How ever my CPU's go through the roof and I get audio sync issues on youtube content.

I am also noticing that when I play youtube streams or G4tv the FPS go low and the audio goes out of sync. Can this be from the upscaling? I wish I had more controll over video settings with certain play back types.

Any suggestions, or clarifacation?
newb2linux Wrote:Hey guys,

I just bought a Samsung 850 ( pn58b850y1f ) and I cant seem to set XBMC to 1080p.

. Smile

It was more better if you purchaise an LED TV. The more you watch, the more you see the difference and if a normal everyday program/film shows a big difference, I can only begin to imagine how amazing an LED TV would be for gaming or action films. After I managed to blink, I had a walk around it and again was truly amazed. The size!! Although I know LED TVs are Ultra Thin, again, I don’t believe you can really appreciate how big a difference there is until you see one in real life. The LED TV I was looking at was a Samsung, UE40B6000/A, series 6, 40″ Box Set in Rose Black, and the good news is the price is started to come down.
To wrap up, believe the hype! LED TVs are the future!
It's only a bloody LED backlight. It's still an LCD! Some of the samsung ones just have the LED's on the perimeter (i.e. just like the old CFLs) so they're not even implementing it as a lower-resolution matrix at the back of the tv, which allows the backlight to be varied across the image.

Make sure you know what you're actually buying, rather than the silly hype words the manufacturer and sales people love to use.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Some of the samsung ones just have the LED's on the perimeter (i.e. just like the old CFLs) so they're not even implementing it as a lower-resolution matrix at the back of the tv, which allows the backlight to be varied across the image

to add to that statement. All LCD-tvs with LED backlight that are superthin has the leds around the monitor. if you want the local-dimming led's then it is thicker.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
LED TV is a term used by Samsung to describe its line of LCD (liquid crystal display) TVsthat use LED backlighting.
LED-backlit LCD TVs do differ from conventional LCD TVs in some important areas:
1- They can produce a very bright image and deep blacks (doesn't work for Edge-LED
2- With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim.
3- They can offer lower power consumption.
4- They can offer a wider colour gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.

Angry
We can read that on the "helpful" site you linked. I don't see why you are shilling for these televisions with marketing terms that are misleading to the end user.

Do you have anything else to offer the community, other than spam?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p and Samsung Series 8 Plasma TV1