[MOD] Hexed's Now Playing Mod / Kiosk Mode / Video Window
About:
This mod is based upon VegasPete's Now Playing Mod, which is great but I wanted to make a few changes. Although I have prior scripting/skinning/programming experience, this is my first attempt at modifying an xbmc skin. There are many things I'd still like to change/add, but I'm learning as I go along. If an experienced skinner would like to help, let me know.

Features:
Redesigned now playing panels, uses appropriate frame depending on media type
Kiosk Mode, prevents users from inadvertantly accessing menus
Video/Visualization Window on home and settings screens
Weather Popup Window on home screen, links to Nuka's TWC Supplemental script on click
New CD jewel case frame texture
Various bug fixes and small aesthetic tweaks

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1) For the weather popup feature to function, make sure the following two settings are enabled:
a) Horizonz > Home Screen > Weather Popup
b) Horizonz > Home Screen > Lower Home Scroller Position
2) The TWC Supplemental script must be installed in "Q:\scripts\TWC Supplemental\" for this feature to work.

On to the screenshots, download link is at the bottom.

Music Now Playing / Visualization Window

Movie Now Playing / Video Window

TV Show Now Playing / Video Window

Weather Popup

New Welcome Screen

New CD Jewel Case Frame

Download :: Horizonz - Hexed's Mod v3.zip
Nice mod, Hexed6...

Just loaded it on my xbox and kiosk mode is great... So's the now playing window. I like the default backdrop image you've added, but might roll it back to just a black screen... Still working on a custom default background (media player hesitates very briefly when it loads a new image from the fanart directory, but it's nothing I can't tolerate -- one of the drawbacks to using an xbox as opposed to a htpc platform, I guess). I'll give it some time to see if I can get used to it.

Lost my weather button for the TWC script, though, when I copied your files over. I'll have to get that back -- need to track down the code for the button add again, but overall, VERY NICE!.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Reverted back to my previous install of 4.1 after re-applying myweather.xml and backgrounds.xml files to your changes... It seems that after applying your mod and applying the previous files to restore my weather fanart and Tension113's "more info" button for the TWC script in the weather screen, I was getting both the Fullscreen now playing backdrop AND the minimalist now playing window of your mod at the same time. Really like the kiosk setting of your mod though -- would like to figure out how to separate the two and apply it to my 4.1 install... Any chance you can you advise how to only apply the kiosk setting? If I find some time to figure it out, I'll post back with my results.
Thanks Baphomet. I was unaware I added a background image, I think that may have been included in VegasPete's mod, which this is based on. Sorry about your weather mod, try to back up next time. I was thinking about implementing the aeon style weather page, that may be what I do next, and possibly implement such a button.

The changes you need to make are in MyMusicSongs.xml, MyMusicNav.xml, MyVideo.xml, MyVideoNav.xml, etc. Open up the xml files in my mod and search for "Hexed", my changes were commented. Ask if you need further help.
Aenima99x had a nice idea:

Aenima99x Wrote:I disagree, I like the menu item for weather....but then again, I've also modded it so that clicking on it launches the TWC Supplemental script. I've also modded the script so it's fullscreen and acts like any of the other areas. Wink

I think this could be taken a bit further, combining with the idea of eliminating the black background on the weather conditions and making them smaller, similar to Aeon's Weather (michaeldecharon got Aeon's weather integrated here, but his methods aren't exact, and I haven't yet tried it...) by eliminating the weather page altogether, showing the Aeon weather information with background fanart when scrolling to weather from the home screen and then when selecting Weather from the home screen, perform the TWC script launch, eliminating the need for the 'onclick' four day weather forecast altogether.

I'm not that skilled with xml, so it would take me a longer than someone with the knowledge, but I think this would be an exceptional feature for Horizonz.

P.S. Thanks for commenting your mods... that's awesomely considerate for all. And thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!
Those were my ideas exactly, I don't think it should be too hard to implement either.
Per Hexed, here are the required changes for manual addition of kiosk mode:
(Hexed comment labels kept for tracking of yer mods)

Quote: <control type="grouplist">
<!-- Hexed - Not visible in Kiosk Mode -->
<visible>!Skin.HasSetting(kioskmode)</visible>
Applied to:

MyGameSaves.xml
MyMusicNav.xml
MyMusicPlaylist.xml
MyMusicPlaylistEditor.xml
MyMusicSongs.xml
MyPics.xml
MyPrograms.xml
MyScripts.xml
MyVideo.xml
MyVideoNav.xml
MyVideoPlaylist.xml

(obviously, you can omit any of the above files if you want to retain the overhead menu for that particular menu selection...)

---AND THEN...---

Quote:<!-- Hexed - Kiosk Mode -->
<control type="radiobutton" id="504">
<width>1156</width>
<include>customsettingsbutton</include>
<label>Enable Kiosk Mode (Hide Menus in Media Views)</label>
<onclick>Skin.ToggleSetting(kioskmode)</onclick>
<selected>Skin.HasSetting(kioskmode)</selected>
</control>
Applied to:

Customisation.xml (search = id="505" and add it to the list of other id's. Radiobutton 'id="504"' doesn't appear to exist in Horizonz 4.1...)
bump for new version Nerd
I just try your mod and the nowplaying windows is really great, you did a really good job, but unfortunately for me, i cant see the weather popup, ive try lots of options, but nothing is working Sad
the twc supplemental script is not going to be maintained anymore.

the better choice is using the new weather.com plus plugin (fairly new feature of xbmc). this plugin runs whenever the weather updates and you access all the properties from anywhere in the skin.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52034
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Shalashaska Wrote:I just try your mod and the nowplaying windows is really great, you did a really good job, but unfortunately for me, i cant see the weather popup, ive try lots of options, but nothing is working Sad

Two settings need to be enabled:

1) Horizonz > Home Screen > Weather Popup
2) Horizonz > Home Screen > Lower Home Scroller Position

Next version I might revise the weather popup so it can be used with the original home scroller position.
Thanks for the heads up Nuka, the plugin looks rather sweet. Cool

Nuka1195 Wrote:the twc supplemental script is not going to be maintained anymore.

the better choice is using the new weather.com plus plugin (fairly new feature of xbmc). this plugin runs whenever the weather updates and you access all the properties from anywhere in the skin.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52034
hexed6 Wrote:Two settings need to be enabled:

1) Horizonz > Home Screen > Weather Popup
2) Horizonz > Home Screen > Lower Home Scroller Position

Next version I might revise the weather popup so it can be used with the original home scroller position.

Its working now,but i dont know why, ive some problems, i cant see the clock when im in settings Menu, but not on the homepage (no problem with the clock when im running Paul's Horizon Mod 4.1
Shalashaska Wrote:Its working now,but i dont know why, ive some problems, i cant see the clock when im in settings Menu, but not on the homepage (no problem with the clock when im running Paul's Horizon Mod 4.1

Thanks for letting me know, I overlooked this as I use the "old" time panel (positioned at the top). I am looking into fixing this, stay tuned.
hexed6 Wrote:Thanks for letting me know, I overlooked this as I use the "old" time panel (positioned at the top). I am looking into fixing this, stay tuned.

Bah, what a lame bug. Control id's... Anyway fixed version is now up.
NEW v3: Fixed weather popup animations, new CD jewel case frame/texture, new welcome screen, reverted to original horizonz4 icon set and showcase backdrop, minor tweaks... Also managed to reduce the size of Textures.xpr by about 2MB. Grab it while it hot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOD] Hexed's Now Playing Mod / Kiosk Mode / Video Window0