• 7(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes
nugentgl Wrote:gilgongo - I thought of that right after I posted, but then how do I restart XBMC without rebooting?

type "startx" on at the command prompt. It'll start X, and run xbmc as part of that.

Acer Revo 1600 | SpeedLink SL-6399 | Kodibuntu :nerd:
gilgongo Wrote:type "startx" on at the command prompt. It'll start X, and run xbmc as part of that.

Thanks, but I needed to know how to startx from a putty session. I figured it out though:

sudo startx -- :0 &
Hi i like use ion for xbmc and download torrents same time its possible?atom can handle this thnx m
Hi to all,
I followed this install guide and got everything working (installed on a SDHC, without touching the internal HD), except a couple of things.

- When Revo boot, i need to press F12 every time and choose "Multicard reader" to boot. If i don't press F12, no boot is found. And inside bios there is only the usb as device for boot, i disable all others. Any ideas?

- freeze random after minutes if i active Compiz (simply freezed, i need to power-off to restart. changing bios ram to gpu don't change anything.

Thanks in advance, sorry for my english and thanks for this guide Big Grin
Compiz and XBMC don't get along together. In order to have XBMC running, you need to disable Compiz.
pumkinut Wrote:Compiz and XBMC don't get along together. In order to have XBMC running, you need to disable Compiz.
Thanks for your feedback.
In fact i don't want or need Compiz, but i want a stable configuration, and it's strange that my system crash with Compiz. doesn't matter, thanks again.
I'm probably going to try this howto in a bit, to "start from fresh" after all the tweaks I've done to an install that started as a full Ubuntu-Desktop system.

But one thing from the howto can possibly be made simpler...

Pete_London Wrote:Install the NVIDIA drivers

(Details manual install of drivers direct from nvidia.com)

Actually you can get the latest drivers more easily from the x-updates PPA. Follow the instructions there, then do an apt-get update; then if the standard Jaunty nvidia drivers are already installed, an apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade them to the latest available (at time of writing, 185.18.14, the same as in the manual install in the howto). If it's not already installed, apt-get install nvidia-glx-180.
lout Wrote:Hi i like use ion for xbmc and download torrents same time its possible?atom can handle this thnx m

I haven't tried using a torrent client on mine, but I've used sabnzbd with the web frontend and had no problems downloading + decoding + unrar of 8-10gb files while watching a movie.
Rachel Wrote:I'm probably going to try this howto in a bit, to "start from fresh" after all the tweaks I've done to an install that started as a full Ubuntu-Desktop system.

But one thing from the howto can possibly be made simpler...

Actually you can get the latest drivers more easily from the x-updates PPA. Follow the instructions there, then do an apt-get update; then if the standard Jaunty nvidia drivers are already installed, an apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade them to the latest available (at time of writing, 185.18.14, the same as in the manual install in the howto). If it's not already installed, apt-get install nvidia-glx-180.

Excellent information!
I did the mods so that XBMX would start automatically at boot time but I now get a warning about a /.drmc file being ignored and I must click OK with my mouse to get to XBMC so it defeats the purpose.

The question is how do I go back to the previous settings? I tried to boot using generic in grub and I can get to the system prompt. However it appears that the bash_profile and xsession files did not exist! I can nano tty1 to the original /sbin/getty 38400 and reboot but it always go straight to XBMC whatever I do. If I do xstart I get GNOME but no mouse or keyboard. Is there a way to revert those changes so I can try to resolve my other problems without re-installing?
So just to be clear, if i use this install and upgrade to alsa 1.0.20 i should get dts and dolby via the hdmi?
Has anyone else got it working like this?

I plan on re loading xbmc again with this method and just wanted to know if thats what everyone else had as i have been unable to get surround sound working working.
Rachel Wrote:But one thing from the howto can possibly be made simpler...

I've put this in the howto... will update it once I've tested it Big Grin

Thanks,

Pete
Just wan't to say I did this installation on a Point of View ION 330 Mobo (+2GB RAM) and it worked flawlessly.

Note that for smooth playback I had to manually add a 24p scanline to my xorg.conf.

Kind regards,
foxie2 Wrote:So just to be clear, if i use this install and upgrade to alsa 1.0.20 i should get dts and dolby via the hdmi?
Has anyone else got it working like this?

I plan on re loading xbmc again with this method and just wanted to know if thats what everyone else had as i have been unable to get surround sound working working.

Yes, I upgraded to 1.0.10 and it fixed my DTS and DD issues over HDMI to my reciever.
Pete_London Wrote:I've put this in the howto... will update it once I've tested it Big Grin

Thanks,

Pete

I did exactly that it worked great. So there is at least one other perston that used the alternate method of getting the latest nvidia drivers.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes1