• 9(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes
jonathan_will08 Wrote:Thanks, I think the problem I am having is because I only have Ubunty Jaunt minimal and am not sure that the nvidia drivers are installing correctly.

I don't really want to install the full blown ubuntu desktop as I am affraid this may affect the smoothness of playback for hi def?

Ideally I want XBMC installed as per this guide. Do you know how to manually install the drivers from a removable devise such as USB drive? using the terminal of course as it is only Ubuntu terminal. If I do it this may hopefully I can rule out whether it is the drivers that is causing the problem.

Cheers.

I also had this problem, I think it's due to a change of the guide:

A few days ago, I installed using the guide. No problem, Nvidia drivers worked fine. Two days ago I formatted due to circumstances, followed the guide with added instructions by Rachel and I had the same issue you're having.

Luckily, the solution was simple! Sudo nvidia-xconfig and a reboot fixed everything in my case.
I have another issue:

I set up a Samba share to my external NTFS drive connected to my Revo. When logging in tot full-desktop Ubuntu, I can map it just fine on my windows PC: adding/deleting files works perfectly.

However, when I log in using the script to run XBMC automatically (as per default in the install procedure descriped by the OP), I only seem to have read rights to my disk. I can read just as well, but I can't write... Which is a darn shame.

Anybody know what might be causing this?
jonathan_will08 Wrote:Thanks, I think the problem I am having is because I only have Ubunty Jaunt minimal and am not sure that the nvidia drivers are installing correctly.

I don't really want to install the full blown ubuntu desktop as I am affraid this may affect the smoothness of playback for hi def?

Ideally I want XBMC installed as per this guide. Do you know how to manually install the drivers from a removable devise such as USB drive? using the terminal of course as it is only Ubuntu terminal. If I do it this may hopefully I can rule out whether it is the drivers that is causing the problem.

Cheers.

I think the problem is with his directions, replace Intrepid at the end with Jaunty. I have video on minimal ubuntu by manually installing the driver from Nvidia's website (old method) and Rachel's PPA method (new method) and both work as planned. I prefer doing it manually though. If you want to do it manually follow these directions:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg build-essential gcc linux-headers-`uname -r` -y

2. Download latest drivers from nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

3. Copy download to your home drive /home/xbmc on your ubuntu box using WinSCP.

Code:
sudo sh NVIDIA*.run

5. Follow the instructions pressing OK and Accept all the way through. At the end it will ask if you want to create a valid config file, say yes.
Cutestory Wrote:Just so happened I solved my own problem this morning. Seeing as I had installed the desktop GUI as well during the installation (I just selected the option, along with ssh, samba, etc.), I can just select Options at the login screen and then choose to log in to Gnome, instead of logging in using the custom xbmc scripts.

Might not be a pretty solution, but it sure does work. =)

Hi, cheers for the replies but when I choose to exit XMBC I get thrown to an area where I cant even use a CLI it just shows a few lines stating services have been started for XBMC and I cant do anything, I dont end up on the Gnome desktop!?!

Above you mention you get a login screen instead of XBMC loading up straight away, is that because you didnt apply the auto login script for XBMC?
Cutestory Wrote:I have another issue:

I set up a Samba share to my external NTFS drive connected to my Revo. When logging in tot full-desktop Ubuntu, I can map it just fine on my windows PC: adding/deleting files works perfectly.

However, when I log in using the script to run XBMC automatically (as per default in the install procedure descriped by the OP), I only seem to have read rights to my disk. I can read just as well, but I can't write... Which is a darn shame.

Anybody know what might be causing this?

Also, does XBMC run fine with a full Ubuntu desktop install, is the GUI as responsive and does HD content play with no issues with more memory being taken up by the full desktop install?
spawn101 Wrote:Also, does XBMC run fine with a full Ubuntu desktop install, is the GUI as responsive and does HD content play with no issues with more memory being taken up by the full desktop install?

Before I discovered the minimal ubuntu, I did the full desktop install. The only difference I see is that it took less to startup.
My bad with the intrepid bit gang..... it's been fixed.

Pete
I followed the instructions here and now have a great little system running sweetly. Great tutorial!

I want to be able to use a bluetooth keyboard or mouse with this (I have a bluetooth USB dongle). Anyone know what I need to install to get bluetooth support, and how to pair up devices from the command prompt?
Thanks everybody for your help, my next problem is with the multiplex mods! Has anyone managed to get any of the multiplex mods working?
Shown http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52755 and http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54500

The revo just can't seem to load them? Any ideas, i've been playing around for days now and it's driving me nuts!
For some reason, x wouldn't start for me until I executed a 'sudo apt-get install x11-utils' command. I'm not sure why this didn't install "automagically", but the behavior was that it booted and failed to start x, with the error "unable to start x server". Maybe include this step explicitly in the guide?
I use the Aeon mods with multiplex and they all work perfectly.... have a look on the Aeon threads for something you like and pull it down with Git.

Pete
I'm having issues with this installation. I'm wondering how I could modify the Xclient script so that other apps might start along XBMC?

During the installation I have also installed Ubuntu Desktop. Pro: I now have a GUI for logging in, and when I want to use the PC for internet and stuff I just log in using GNOME.

When I don't select anything, the Revo automatically boots into the Xclient script that this tutorial asks us to set up and starts the XBMC media center. The problem is: I can't seem to find out how to automatically start other programs as well! I've added SABNZBD+ to the startup programs in GNOME, I edited the init.d files, .xsession, but to no avail.

Where should I add the command to start SABNZBD+, or any other app for that matter?
I have installed ubuntu and xbmc according to this guide. no errors. anyway after a reboot, x will not start.

Fata server error:

no screens found

unable to connect to X server

xbmc@htpc:~$

Seems like X is not installed?

sudo nvidia-xconfig and a reboot fixed everything

sudo apt-get install fluxbox xterm
or
sudo apt-get install blackbox xterm

...did not help
Cutestory Wrote:I also had this problem, I think it's due to a change of the guide:

A few days ago, I installed using the guide. No problem, Nvidia drivers worked fine. Two days ago I formatted due to circumstances, followed the guide with added instructions by Rachel and I had the same issue you're having.

Luckily, the solution was simple! Sudo nvidia-xconfig and a reboot fixed everything in my case.

thanks, I had also to do this to get it work =)
Thank you for the excellent guide.

Like some of the other posters here I am a complete linux newbie, and was wondering what is needed in order to enter the gnome gui once you exit XBMC ?

What files do I need to install? And how do I enter the gui from the prompt line after exiting XBMC?

Thank you in advance, your help is much appreciated Big Grin
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes1