• 10(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes
Quote:What files do I need to install? And how do I enter the gui from the prompt line after exiting XBMC?

sudo apt-get install gnome-core

startx
Question 
Hi, I have a Zotac ion A, but my in my case the startx fails with following error:

ubuntu failed to load module "nvidia"
no drivers available

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks..
Quote:Do you have any suggestions?
Not except the obvious: Do you have NVIDIA correctly installed? Do xbmc works correctly already?

I do not see why NVIDIA should be necessery to start gnome.

I have tested to do exactly this on XBMCLive installed to HD. I have not tested on XBMCbuntu BUT I have manually installed my minimal ubuntu from a minimal CD.

Quote:Minimal CD +
sudo apt-get -y install xorg gnome-core
= working desktop
No drivers needed.

EDIT: I did some double checking and this guide that not result in a XBMCbuntu setup similar to the Live (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu). I am not sure if something changed since I read it last or if I did not understand what I read Sad.

I have two suggestions:
1) try if this helps:
Sudo nvidia-xconfig and a reboot

2) It could be that you are missing same parts...but then it is a very strange error message you get.
You could try to add xorg
or maybe just
xinit x11-xserver-utils
is enough (the latter is from the xbmcbuntu guide)
Hello ,
My system is composed by:
A Zotac ION 330, 4gb Ram conected throught HDMI to a onkyo txr 606 receiver wich is capable of decoding DTS, DD (and all HD formats).

I have installed ubuntu and xbmc following this guide, and updated ALSA to 1.0.20.
My audio Hardware configuration in xbmc is:

Default audio device: plug:hdmi
Passthrough device: hdmi
Downmix Multichannel Audio to Stereo: False

With this configuration xbmc only sends two channels of the 5.1 to my receiver, the left and right channel and my receiver take this output as a Stereo signal.

I've also try "Default audio device: hdmi" and is the same.

It's seems that xbmc decode the DD/DTS and only output two channels.

I've also try connecting the Pc to the receiver with a spdif cable and setting iec958 /iec958 config and happens the same: no DTS/DD throught to my receiver.

I have been during three days (and part of the nights) reading forums and It seems that my config might work but it doesn't.

So anybody can help me please?

Thank you all in advance
Quote:So anybody can help me please?
If you are using SVN there seem to be a probem with digital passtrough for the moment. Maybe this is related to that. You could revert to an older version.

and I guess you are sure there is more than 2channels in the media file?
Thank you vikjon0,
It seems I didn't search enought during three days Smile
You are right:

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56664

I downgrade the version to svn 22278 and my receptor smiles me now with a DD light Smile

PS: Xbmc is an amazing program, thanks all who made it possible.
I just installed xbmc using this tutorial on a fresh install of ubuntu 9.04 (full) desktop on my new Revo. The problem is that xbmc crash at startup. I see some errors in the crashlog but I don't now what to do.

Any idea?
im stuck at step 2 whats HTPC?

btw if i install this can i still go to firefox and stuff?
Quote:I just installed xbmc using this tutorial on a fresh install of ubuntu 9.04 (full) desktop on my new Revo1.

Well, you didn't if one count step 1.

Quote:1. Download the Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope minimal cd from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
Note: Please use the 32-bit CD.
Quote:im stuck at step 2 whats HTPC?
I don't normally express myself like this... But you ARE joking?
Do you understand boot? You need to do some reading here at this nice site: http://www.google.com

Quote:btw if i install this can i still go to firefox and stuff?
Yes, but I do not recommend it for you. Install a normal ubuntu desktop then follow the basic guide on the wiki to add xbmc.
huh what?? thats is what the guide is about.. lol

normal ubuntu desktop thing and then xbmc.

srry its kinda new for me.
ralph9994 Wrote:huh what?? thats is what the guide is about.. lol

normal ubuntu desktop thing and then xbmc.

srry its kinda new for me.
No it's not what this guide is about. This guide is about installing only the essential elements of Ubuntu in order to get XBMC to work. Therefore, X is installed, but no window manager. No window managers e.g. Gnome, KDE, etc, then no Firefox. What did you think the word "minimal" in the title meant?
Ok, maybe it is not clear to everyone and I do not want to promote bad attitude in the forum. (there is enough of that).

There are about 3 main types of installations:
1) "Normal" install xbmc on top of a standard Ubuntu and keep desktop etc. If you want this do not use this guide or anything else related to xbmcbuntu or live.This is the official guide:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step
I am afraid someone named it "minimal" and in the forum minimal normally means xbmcbuntu/live like installation with no desktop. Ignore the titel, this guide is for normal installation. With desktop.
2) XBMC Live. Run xbmc out of the box from CD/USB or install it to disk. Very good solution but the installer can only install on the whole disk and it will wipe any other partition. No desktop.
3) xbmcbuntu is another guide in the wiki that wil result in the same setup as the the LiveCD. This forum thread also result in a xbmcbuntu installation.

What you guys do not pay attention to is this:
Quote:1. Download the Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope minimal cd from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
Note: Please use the 32-bit CD.
If you have not used this CD you are not following the guide. It is not the same as the desktop CD.

And back to the questions:
Quote:im stuck at step 2 whats HTPC?
HTPC means Home Theatre Personal Computer (PC). The guide is referering to the hardware you intend to install xbmc to.
Typically you are adviced to google/otherwise research words you do not understand before posting the forum.

Quote:btw if i install this can i still go to firefox and stuff?
It is possible but require some manual not fully documented tinkering in Linux, better you start with a normal installation until you have learned a little Linux.
vikjon0 Wrote:Ok, maybe it is not clear to everyone and I do not want to promote bad attitude in the forum. (there is enough of that).

There are about 3 main types of installations:
1) "Normal" install xbmc on top of a standard Ubuntu and keep desktop etc. If you want this do not use this guide or anything else related to xbmcbuntu or live.This is the official guide:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step
I am afraid someone named it "minimal" and in the forum minimal normally means xbmcbuntu/live like installation with no desktop. Ignore the titel, this guide is for normal installation. With desktop.
2) XBMC Live. Run xbmc out of the box from CD/USB or install it to disk. Very good solution but the installer can only install on the whole disk and it will wipe any other partition. No desktop.
3) xbmcbuntu is another guide in the wiki that wil result in the same setup as the the LiveCD. This forum thread also result in a xbmcbuntu installation.

Just ordered my revo so very excited! I have been looking for a dcecent xmbc platform for some time.

I understand all the above, but am curious to what the advantage of this 'minimal' install is over using XBMC Live installer? I know you mentioned losing the partition, but is there any other disadvantages.

I have used the XMBC live disc on both a 8200 and 780g based machine and have never got it working properly. I am hoping due to the fact that everyones revo hardware setup is basically the same that this would be a good product to get it installed to (lots of guides etc), but I am still not sure as a linux n00b is i should do the minial or live install. i dont care about dual boot etc.
Quote:I understand all the above, but am curious to what the advantage of this 'minimal' install is over using XBMC Live installer? I know you mentioned losing the partition, but is there any other disadvantages.

If you install from live to a hardisk using the "non-Removalble" mode there should be no difference at all compared to the xbmcbuntu installation.

If you are installing to USB only the removalble mode is available and that is different. It is not a "normal" installation it is a iso based live setup.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes1