XBMC Live + MCE Remote, some Buttons works, some not
Hi, sry for my bad english

i'm using XBMC Live (current svn) on an Acer Revo and got this remote today

Hama-MCE-Remote-Control

The remote is recognized and the driver "lirc_mceusb2" is loaded during boot process:
Code:
usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_mceusb2
The remote works under xbmc, but not all Buttons, eg the PowerButton and there is no equivalent to the "m, o" Keys

So i tryed to follow this Guide

I created some personal Keymap.xml and Lircmap.xml under //home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/ but nothing changed after a reboot. Even if swap left and right, nothing change.

I tried irw, it starts, but show nothing when i press some buttons, but the buttons are still recognized by xbmc

I also have no /dev/lirc0 as it is configured in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, only /dev/lircd !?

Then i killed the lircd process, (ps -e | grep lirc shows nothing), but the remote still works under xbmc (wtf?)

I'm completly confused, i thought "no lirc == no remote"?

How works this remote? Is there another system besides lirc?
I have a similar remote and it works on my minimal system without having lirc installed.

I believe it's because the system sees it as an infrared keyboard and maps it as using the media buttons off a Windows Media keyboard.

go to the command line and press the number buttons. They should show up on screen.

How to remap? use Keymap.xml. I haven't got around to doing it yet, but will try this week.
Thx for the reply.

It makes sense, i see the buttons on the screen after stopping xbmc.
I'll try to remap the non-working keys in the keymap.xml.

How do figure out the names of the various buttons?
Maybe ttyrec works, i'll try it after work.
I found the program "showkey", which show the key codes, scancodes or ascii-codes of pressed buttons.

For the Power-Key on my remote i got this results:
Code:
"showkey -k"
keycode 142 pressed
keycode 142 released
Code:
"showkey -s"
0xe0 0x5f 0xe0 0xdf
Code:
"showkey -a"
^@ 0 0000 0x00

Ok, so far, so good^^
But how do i put these codes in the keymap.xml?
This is really a pain in the ass...

I killed XBMC, started X manually, so i got the standard Fluxbox-Window.
I opened "xev" in xterm, and it showed me that the Keycode of the Powerbutton is 150, not 142!? Angry

I googled xmodmap, and created an new .Xmodmap in /home/xbmc via "xmodmap -pke > .Xmodmap"

Then i changed the file "keycode 150 = s" and do a "xmodmap .Xmodmap"
In xterm the PowerButton makes a "s" Wink

I closed Fluxbox, restarted XBMC, pressed the PowerButton, and nothing happened.
I put "xmodmap .Xmodmap" in ~/xsession before "/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone" to make shure the .Xmodmap is loaded, but nothing.

I thought XBMC is a normal X-App, why does it ignores the .Xmodmap, but xterm not?
Ok, the fault was in the path.

I changed xmodmap .Xmodmap to xmodmap /home/xbmc/.Xmodmap, now it works.

In short:
1.) start "xev" via xterm (install fluxbox or another WindowManager, directly started via xsession doesn't work for me). Prevent autostarting of xbmc, comment out the line "/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone" in /home/xbmc.xsessions

2.) press buttons on the remote and write down keycodes

3.) create a custom modmap via "xmodmap -pke > /home/xbmc/.Xmodmap"

4.) Edit Xmodmap and change the desired keycode to the desired key, eg. "keycode 150 = s" which maps the Powerbutton on my remote to the key "s" wich is defined in Keymap.xml for the shutdown-menu

5.) edit /home/xbmc/.xsession and put "xmodmap /home/xbmc/.Xmodmap" before "/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live + MCE Remote, some Buttons works, some not0