Help picking a motherboard for a AMD 5050E running Ubuntu and XBMC?
as long as you got 2 sticks for dualchannel mode even 2 x 512 would enough.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Can someone tell me the differences in the 8300 on the motherboard recommended and the 9400 I already got. What does the hardware bug in the 8000 serie do?

/Söder
Vero 4K with unRAID server and mysql (mariadb)
What hardware bug? Your 9400 is faster in gaming and stuff, but has WEAKER vdpau acceleration and sucks a lot more energy.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Haggy Wrote:What hardware bug? Your 9400 is faster in gaming and stuff, but has WEAKER vdpau acceleration and sucks a lot more energy.

This bug:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48316&page=2
motd2k that told me, when I asked about what card to buy.

What do you mean with WEAKER vdpau acceleration?

/Söder
Exactly what motd2k told you in that post. Please re-read - and you'll find answers to any of your questions.
Haggy Wrote:Exactly what motd2k told you in that post. Please re-read - and you'll find answers to any of your questions.

I dont understand..?

"8400gs will do VC1 in hardware, but its got a hardware bug. Steer clear."
Does this only mean the 8400? Not e.g. the 8300 or the 8000 serie?

And why did he recommended me the 9000 serie? Is the 8000.

I dont understand. Please explain.

Thanks.

/Söder
Ok, once and for all:
soder Wrote:I dont understand..?

"8400gs will do VC1 in hardware, but its got a hardware bug. Steer clear."
Does this only mean the 8400? Not e.g. the 8300 or the 8000 serie?

And why did he recommended me the 9000 serie? Is the 8000.

8400GS is NOT 8200/8300. 8400GS is a plugin card previously based on G84 (NO vdpau at all), but virtually all cards sold nowadays have the G98 on board which features FULL acceleration for h264, vc1, mpeg2. however there's a hardware bug with that chip. It cannot display/accelerate some weird resolutions which really nobody cares of.
8200/8300 have the same issue. Have a look at the nvidia readme i linked below.

He recommended the 9xxx because it's simply equally priced as the 8400. IMHO the 8400 is the better card for a htpc because it uses less power, thus less heat and noise and has full acceleration (that's really completely unimportant, read motd2k's post again). as there's no onboard gpu (igp) from the 9xxx series for AMD you either have to stick to 8200/8300 or plug in a card or move over to intel.

Further readings (yes i googled FOR YOU)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...sing_units
http://us.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/18...dix-g.html
Haggy Wrote:Ok, once and for all:

8400GS is NOT 8200/8300. 8400GS is a plugin card previously based on G84 (NO vdpau at all), but virtually all cards sold nowadays have the G98 on board which features FULL acceleration for h264, vc1, mpeg2. however there's a hardware bug with that chip. It cannot display/accelerate some weird resolutions which really nobody cares of.
8200/8300 have the same issue. Have a look at the nvidia readme i linked below.

He recommended the 9xxx because it's simply equally priced as the 8400. IMHO the 8400 is the better card for a htpc because it uses less power, thus less heat and noise and has full acceleration (that's really completely unimportant, read motd2k's post again). as there's no onboard gpu (igp) from the 9xxx series for AMD you either have to stick to 8200/8300 or plug in a card or move over to intel.

Further readings (yes i googled FOR YOU)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...sing_units
http://us.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/18...dix-g.html

Thanks. I just didnt know what to google for, and I'm glad you did it for me. =)

/Söder
soder Wrote:Thanks. I just didnt know what to google for, and I'm glad you did it for me. =)

/Söder

That has been the last time i swear.
@Haggy, thanks your information. It was extremely helpful to choose a new motherboard for my htpc setup. This leaves room in my budget to take my girlfriend somewhere nice AND have a few beers while I build the htpc Big Grin
Cheers mate - you're welcome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help picking a motherboard for a AMD 5050E running Ubuntu and XBMC?0