New Linux user with some question
Smile 
Today I downloaded XBMC live and installed on my Asrock ION 330.

So far so good,but still have some questions (remember I am a new Linux user Blush )

SKINS

Can I upgrade the skin just by using FTP,like I use to do on my Xbox?

REMOTE

I have here a IR receiver that was normally made for Windows MCE.
Idea is to use my Logitech Harmony remote to control XBMC (like I use on the Xbox)
What divice do I need to choose on my harmony software to be able to use it together with XBMC live (normally I choose the divice I use, like TV brand or DVD player)

Hope someone can help me with htis couple of issues. Rolleyes
sudo apt-get install xbmc-skin-*

I used this and there were several skins installed and selectable within XBMC.

As far as the remote goes... Use the Harmony software to select a generic MCE remote. You'll have to poke around in the Harmony software to find them, but they are there. LIRC setup with a MCE (Philips 2?) worked fine with my Adesso 1100 remote and receiver.
and you can ftp skins in as on the xbox if you like
Justcop Wrote:and you can ftp skins in as on the xbox if you like

Assuming you install and configure an ftpd. You should be able to sftp/scp. See google for how.
seninha Wrote:Can I upgrade the skin just by using FTP,like I use to do on my Xbox?

Personally I'd use filesharing over ftp. SMB/Samba works well across all platforms.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
I tried to log in to my system by FTP by using xbmc/xbmc as login and password but it doesn work.
I remember that on my Xbox where I also use XBMC, you configurate FTP but on XBMC live i could not find this part Sad

About the IR receiver, I found out that it is a Philips OVU4003/00.
Are the drivers for this pease of hardware already inside XBMC live or do I need ti install them my self?
If that's the case,HOW do I install this and where do I get the needed drivers?
seninha Wrote:I tried to log in to my system by FTP by using xbmc/xbmc as login and password but it doesn work.
I remember that on my Xbox where I also use XBMC, you configurate FTP but on XBMC live i could not find this part Sad

Right - Al told you there's no ftp daemon on live, so you have to install one by yourself if you need FTP. Using sftp/scp works out of the box due to the running ssh daemon. Have a google.
seninha Wrote:About the IR receiver, I found out that it is a Philips OVU4003/00.
Are the drivers for this pease of hardware already inside XBMC live or do I need ti install them my self?
If that's the case,HOW do I install this and where do I get the needed drivers?

This is not in the scope of xbmc. Remotes are controlled via LIRC, a common remote control software found on any linux distro. Again: have a google or search the forums. If you have it working on your system it's little to no effort to have it working in xbmc.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
May I ask why on every question you send me to Google?

Of course I search before I posted my problem here.
Issue is that ,like I laready said, I dont have ANY experience.
And alsmost everything I found ussing Google is written for those who already work/worked with Linux.

For example, this line:

quote: Assuming you install and configure an ftpd. You should be able to sftp/scp

I have no idea what that means Sad
download putty, it provides a remote terminal connection as well as an SCP and SFTP connection. just google for it Big Grin
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
seninha,

1) Remote
If you do not want to study up on this you need to get a remote that works out of the box with XBMC. E.g. xbox remote (I am told) and the MS MCE Remote.

2) SSH is a terminal that you start on your other computer to speak with the Linux running your xbmc.
If you are using MS Win on your other computer download putty.exe then input the ip number for XBMC.

SSH is command line only. You need to google commands to install skins and/or install a ftp server (ftpd)

If you do not want to use a command line you need to install a full Ubuntu desktop and add XBMC to it.
Many thanks for your easy answer.

I think I will install ftpd to be able to ftp to the system.
You should be able to sftp into the system without adding any software...
seninha Wrote:May I ask why on every question you send me to Google?

Becase each one of your questions does not deal with XBMC but with the underlying OS (may it be Linux, Windows or OS X). Having no experience is no fault - hell we all started off somewhere. But experience and knowledge does not come from asking questions in forums and waiting for step-by-step howtos.

Again: Both of your issues are NOT xbmc related and i sent you to google because both answers show up instantly on the first result page.

If that's too demanding for you i doubt you'll have fun with Linux in general.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Senhina, maybe the Ubuntu forums will have all of your answers.... I use them regularly and I've been using Ubuntu for years - I even developed a VoIP PBX phone system on it.

But by all means, feel free to ask relevant questions here as we're all here to help. My first 50 posts here were all requests for help Nod
It's not about needing help - as you said we all need help sometimes, especially with something you're not used to. I would be the last one to deny help if i have an answer. It's the lack of doing some research on your own on basic questions that have been discussed to death.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Linux user with some question0