A few hints
Hey all,

I noticed a update over the weekend on the bedroom machine of which I run mythbuntu 8.10 and it was at svn 17292 quite old.

Anyhow, the linux upgrade was a major including a kernel image to 2.6.27-14 and a large amount of libs including pm-utils so at the same time I figured I would update xbmc.

I knew it would be painful all around and it was.

after the reboot of the linux upgrades, I had no sound upgraded to Alsa 1.0.20 fixed it or video updated my Nvidia Binary fixed it, and with the pm-utils upgrade I lost my network on resume as well as irexec which I use for fast swtiching off the LiveTV button between myth and xbmc.

So I found an updated network pm-utils script for the network manager in 8.10 after a bunch of searching. currently in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d you may have a 10NetworkManager. A new script has been created and it is working for me. You should move your 10NetworkManager script somewhere else on the system for back-up purposes and then create 55NetworkManager and issue a sudo chmod +x on it.

here is the script, try this only if you are having resume network issues, in my case if I suspend and resumed within 3 minutes all was fine and if any longer it would not restart the network. I did try to create a start/stop network scripts in /etc/pm with no luck.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# If we are running NetworkManager, tell it we are going to sleep.
# TODO: Make NetworkManager smarter about how to handle sleep/resume
#       If we are asleep for less time than it takes for TCP to reset a
#       connection, and we are assigned the same IP on resume, we should
#       not break established connections.  Apple can do this, and it is
#       rather nifty.

. "${PM_FUNCTIONS}"

suspend_nm()
{
        # Tell NetworkManager to shut down networking
        dbus_send --system --print-reply                         \
                --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager  \
                /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager        \
                org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.sleep 2>&1 > /dev/null
}

resume_nm()
{
        # Wake up NetworkManager and make it do a new connection
        dbus_send --system  --print-reply             \
                --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager \
                /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager       \
                org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wake 2>&1 > /dev/null
}

case "$1" in
        hibernate|suspend)
                suspend_nm
                ;;
        thaw|resume)
                resume_nm
                ;;
        *) exit $NA
                ;;
esac

Next was irexec which was fine on a reboot but not after a suspend, I already have a resume script that pm-utils calls on resume, so in the script just before it launches the myth frontend I added irexec -d and all is fine.

I spent a lot of time trying to upgrade my svn version of xbmc and could not get past the direct rendering error on start up. I installed all the deps from the readme.linux, tried the dep-build from the ppa and installed mingetty and mesa-utils with no luck.

I added the ppa's for 9.04 and the marley ppa for libvdpau which I still could not find. I ended up getting the nvidia-180-libvdpau files from JY Avenard's web-site which is also a great resource for adding vdpau to myth .21 if you want to. here is the link to his repository page.

http://avenard.com/media/Ubuntu_Reposito...itory.html

Hope this may help someone, if you get into the network issue from resume. This is with Mythbuntu 8.10 or Intrepid.

Have Fun,

Dave
I just added

SUSPEND_MODULES="forcedeth"

to /etc/pm/config.d/local

Saw it in another thread, seems a little simpler. Perhaps this thread should be renamed to something more descriptive, otherwise its not useful to anyone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A few hints0