Windows 7 smb access woes
What client is that?

I cant find the solution.

Tried everything mentioned here and else where.

Hell, I couldnt get rid of windows live sign-in assistant.
It uninstalled, but the service remained.
I went as far as to wipe it from the registry and still no go.
You'll have to find a way, because that Live Sign-In Assistant was my culprit.
I have since re-installed Windows 7 (again) and did not install that, no problems connecting
SpIcEz Wrote:What client is that?

I cant find the solution.

Tried everything mentioned here and else where.

Hell, I couldnt get rid of windows live sign-in assistant.
It uninstalled, but the service remained.
I went as far as to wipe it from the registry and still no go.
I had no luck with the Live Sign-In Assistant

I found Two Problems,
1) There was a bug in xbmc introduced last year that was fixed in December and is in Camelot 9.11. The bug would always throw up a Lock dialog asking for the Share Password. Regardless of what you enter it will not authenticate. So Make sure your running 9.11

2) The Xbox would play from Win-7 or Vista share for a little while but only after the windows box was just rebooted and then randomly stop.
Windows 7 and Vista uses SMB Version 2 and for some reason after they detect Version 2 within the LAN it stops talking Version 1 to the rest of the machines.

For me, after my vista box talked to my win7 box; the Xbox couldn't talk to the win7 box any longer. also, my Linux box and XP failed to connect to the Windows 7 box.

Like most M$ "Enhancements" to a working protocol, they messed it up.

The only fix is to shut of SMB2 in Win7 until Microsoft fixes this.
Download .reg file From
http://www.xbmc.org/trac/attachment/...sable_SMB2.reg

or Manually edit the Windows Registry

1. Run "regedit"
2. Expand and locate the sub tree as follows.
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters
3. Add a new REG_DWORD key with the name of "Smb2" (without quotation mark) Value name: Smb2 Value type: REG_DWORD 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled
4. Set the value to 0 to disable SMB 2.0, or set it to 1 to re-enable SMB 2.0.
5. Reboot the Machine

see more details in (and Reg file)
http://www.xbmc.org/trac/ticket/7185

Let me know if this helps you too.

HTH
Mike
I've been running XBMC on my original xbox forever, and have had two different Windows 7 machines running since RC.

I was able to get SMB working with the help of some old posts here, and it has been very hit and miss on connecting properly. One machine is working just fine and has never had a problem, while a second PC was working fine until a windows update that I installed 2 days ago.

I tried this reg file to disable SMB2, and it hasnt fixed the problem.

The error I get is "invalid computer name"
The SMB2 reg will only fix the random loss of connectivity to a Vista\Win7 box, if you can reboot the Win7 box and the XBOX can see the shares again then apply that reg change. (There have been posts of people having success with disabling "Live Sign-In Assistant" to correct this issue too)

If you're unable to see the Win7 box at all then I would make sure you’re on a current release of XMBC, as I said there was a bug introduced in early 2009 that was fixed in late 2009 and is in fixed in the current releases - That bug causes total failure to a win7 share, it never connects and continuously asking for username andd password.

Beyond that Invalid Computer name could simply be a problem with your internal network. It could a DNS or WINS issue, or an intermittent problem with a router or switch.

You mention two win7 machines and one "original" xbox - Are they all in the same workgroup, are they plugged into the same switch? What are your SMB settings on the XBOX and IP settings? Would really need more info on your setup, Versions and some logs to help further.
Same problem here, my friend has an xbox and i was there this afternoon trying to setup his windows 7 ultimate 64 bitt pc for the xbox, but everytime you try to connect to it using xbmc's smb it keeps asking for a loginname and password.

Tryed all the stuff on the forums (from register hacks to using the cisco tool) everything is without a password you dont even have to sign in in windows.

I really dont get it anymore, any ideas? its driving us crazy!!!!!!!!11

cheers

Jay
Jay & Hobbit,

What Version of Xbmc are you on?
I'm not sure how to run logs on the xbmc system.

I just updated my xbmc to the most recent version, and it has the same problem. Here's some more details.

I have two Windows 7 64bit machines. Both were connecting to the xbmc via SMB without problems. All 3 machines (xbmc and win7 machines) are connected via DHCP on a router.

The problem occurred right after I did a windows update on Machine 2 (the one that cannot connect now). I did not do the update on Machine 1 for fear of losing connectivity.

Machine 1&2 see each other fine, transfer files back and forth. XBMC & machine 1 see each other fine, and I can stream video off of shares on it.

XBMC & machine 2 have errors now, which were previously working just fine. The error I get when I try to connect to a share is "Could not connect to network server".

If I try to add a new video source, and browse SMB to it, I see the computer, but soon as I click the computer name it gives the error "Invalid computer name".

All 3 systems are setup using the same name/password, and SMB Client on xbmc is setup with the same username/password.

I can ping the xbox with machine 2 fine.
Fixed my problem. I knew there was something I changed a long time ago, and forgot what it was. After extensive searching I found a dead thread on MTU settings.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...mb+windows

Basically set my MTU to 1500 based on this post, and it fixed my machine.
I guess one of the windows updates reversed my previous setting.
Under the sysem setting you will see an option for debug logs, enable it.
The logs are written to the same folder as the defailt.xbe on the Xbox.
Ftp into the Xbox and download the logs and post them here

also

1) Are the two machine in the same workgroup
2) Have you tried using the IP address of the machine instead of the share name?
3) What do you have for Wins server and DHCP Server (Router?)
4) What Make\Model is the router
5) Which\Whos XBMC build do you have? (tech?)
ok Great, I guess ignore the cross post.

Wouldnt think that packet fragments would matter, if that fixes it then there is something wrong in the code. Will have to see if XBMC sets a the DF bit (Dont Fragment) for any reason?

How low was your mtu?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 smb access woes0