• 5(current)
Win HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost
Hi,

I do not wish to sound negative and I know very well what a community is (I own a forum too) but this thread by all means it should NOT be a sticky. It is one of the most confusing threads except the first post.
Part of this thread there are two or three more advanced users and the rest are newbies like myself that are rambling around to find a useful how-to about this remote. On one side, some codes and "key mappings" are posted by more advanced users but with no info where and how exactly to insert them.
On the other side, the newbies (that are doing a better job) that are sharing their findings.

Normally, as a moderator, either you guys get together this info in something that could be followed or let the advanced users know to post something that could be useful for anybody and than stick the thread, but until then, this thread by all means is not worth to be sticky. No
I just want to say a big thank you guys, as this has solved my remote issues.
Hi
this works fine (as i stated in a previous post) but now i have done some work on my htpc. added a new soundcard and switched from Windows XP to Windows 7 and using one of the later dx builds
everything works super (win7 seems to make a huge difference for me anyway)
but one problem remains, i am using external player Media Player Classic Home Cinema and i have struggled to set-up all the remote buttons to work with mpc-hc and xbmc and i manage to have the majority of keys and buttons setup the way i want, but NOT the fast forward and rewind functions

If you have the same setup as me and have this working please let me know.
for one i am not even sure what function in mpc-hc's keymap settings dialog is for the ffr and rew function!!Huh

Please help me out anyone
Where can I pick up an IR receiver for this? I have my Logitech remote already, but need the IR pickup.
Here is what I have...I had bought it on Newegg, but doesn't seem to be offered there anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ST7...VCFYXA1B3V
trdmlc Wrote:Here is what I have...I had bought it on Newegg, but doesn't seem to be offered there anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ST7...VCFYXA1B3V

ahhhhhhhhh so I have to buy a remote/IR pickup combo and then just use the pickup with the logitech. Makes sense.

So any MCE remote/pickup combo will do? There are a bunch at Newegg.com
I'm using this one: http://www.informatique.nl/651756/philip...eiver.html works great with a logitech 785

It has some issues on some motherboards, not switching on on a cold boot. My Asus has this problem on the rear usb ports, but not the internal, fixed it with a eminent powerless 4 port usb hub on a rear port.
No0b question
I have Leadtek Winfast TV2000 PVR remote/Receiver. Can i use that with my Harmony?

Thanks,
Question 
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this thread for quite a while now and it has helped me wonderfully setting up my Pundit HTPC to use with my Harmony 525 (no Eventghost necessary, the F7 trick for starting up XBMC etc.) Just great work, guys!

However one thing eludes me:

I have assigned the "Skip Backwards" and "Skip Forward" keys in the keymap.xml (or however the file is named; I cannot check that right now) to the "y" and "z" characters and also assigned the buttons on the harmony accordingly in its software. This also works when e.g. I open Wordpad and press these Harmony buttons: i.e. "y" and "z" appear in the document.

However, when running XBMC it just ignores these modiciations.

Any ideas?

Thanks and best regards,
Cybid
hello,
this came with my mobo, it is a IR reciever, would it work?
golfchick Wrote:does anybody know which key on the keyboard will relaunch the film im watching once ive exited to the main menu, its playing in the background but for the life of me i cant get it to relaunch it.

In the confluence skin (and probably many others) go back to "Videos" and hit the left direction key to pul up sorting options etc. to the bottom should be a window playing your video. Select up or go all the way down to highlight it and it should go full screen.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to know. As far as a direct key to go back to full screen now playing...I'm not sure - maybe a custom scriptHuh

By the way...adding a hotkey to start XBMC (like F7) and making the HarmonyOne act as a MCE Meyboard - wow - simply brilliant. It was such a "DOH!" moment fo rme. Thanks.

Has anyone figured out a Tab+Alt solution?
golfchick Wrote:does anybody know which key on the keyboard will relaunch the film im watching once ive exited to the main menu, its playing in the background but for the life of me i cant get it to relaunch it.

I believe it's the "Tab" key. (Edit: I further believe that I copied what someone else typed above me. D'Oh!)
Star 
After a few hours spent setting this up, I have managed to get this working flawlessly. I am very pleased as I can get rid of my Sony PS3 bluetooth controller which is what I used before.

I purchased an HP IR receiver on ebay. I use XP and it didn't recognize the HP receiver when plugging it in. A bit of googling told me I had to manually select the Microsoft eHome IR receiver as the driver. This seemed to work fine.

Then I set up a new device on my Logitech remote. As advised here "MCE Keybaord". Basic functionality worked straight away in xbmc, but a lot of buttons didn't work.

Here's the button mapping I used in my Logitech activity:

Channel Down PageDown
Channel Up PageUp
Prev Backspace
Up DirectionUp
Down DirectionDown
Left DirectionLeft
Right DirectionRight
OK Enter
Menu F6 (Home screen, defined in keymap.xml)
Exit S
Guide O
Info I
Stop X
Play P
Record F7 (shortcut to start xbmc)
Rewind R
Fast Forward F
Pause Space

Additional buttons:
FullScreen Tab
ViewMode Z

I added keyboard shortcut F7 to start xbmc. As it happens, I won't really need to use this as I can leave xbmc running when I turn everything off. Before I would have to shut it down so I could kill the BT connection to avoid batteries running out on the PS3 controller (the main reason the BT remote wasn't ideal).
I´ve just ordered a HFX VISTA GP Remote Kit and hope it´ll do the job as good as the microsoft remote, by the fact that it´s a RC6 remote too. I hope especially for a flawlessly working wakeup function.

Perhaps is somebody here who is using this remote already and who can post his experience...?
Just got my HP IR Receiver in the mail from Ebay finally. Was a cheap-o one like $12 I paid and it works beautifully with my Logitech Harmony 550. I am amazed how perfectly it all worked out!

The only issue I am yet to solve is powering on the computer from the remote. I can do it with a keyboard but cant seem to power any of the USB ports.
XBMC System:
Windows 7, E8400, 2GB Ram, 8800GTS, 12.3 “Frodo”, Aeon Nox 4.1.9

Gaming Rig:
Windows 7, i72600k, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6950 2 GB, 128GB SSD.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost4