• 6(current)
Win HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost
Hey all!

I've read the whole thread, but I can't get my Harmony One to work correctly. I can use the up/down/left/right-arrows to browse and OK to choose (enter), but it doesn't seem like anything else works. None of the buttons I've chosen seems to respond.

I chose the manufacturer as Microsoft and the model as MCE Keyboard (as described).

Everything else works as it should (TV and stereo works as intended).

Any idea what could be wrong?

Edit:
Never mind -- for some reason it worked just fine after re-configuration of the device.
I could use some assistance with this one. I've got an Acer Revo 1600 running XBMC Live 9.11. Everything functions fine.

I purchased this Pinnacle MCE remote/IR combo. I plugged it in and was able to use the remote to navigate through XBMC. I then programmed my harmony 880 as an XBOX remote. I was able to navigate like with the pinnacle remote, but wasn't able to get all of the functions that I wanted.

So I set up a MCE Keyboard as the original poster instructed. However in that mode, the remote won't control anything in XBMC. The light on the IR receiver comes on when I press a button, so I know it's sending a signal. But for whatever reason, it can't recognize the harmony keyboard mappings. Any ideas? Does it have something to do with the IR Receiver or is something else going on? Thanks for any help.
Crane Wrote:So I set up a MCE Keyboard as the original poster instructed. However in that mode, the remote won't control anything in XBMC. The light on the IR receiver comes on when I press a button, so I know it's sending a signal. But for whatever reason, it can't recognize the harmony keyboard mappings. Any ideas? Does it have something to do with the IR Receiver or is something else going on? Thanks for any help.

Now, did you also go through the mappings on the Harmony setup and configure each button? I know I did the above as well, and *forgot* to assign each button on the remote. (i.e. set "Up" as "Direction Up", "Record" as "C", etc.)
DurhamDev Wrote:Now, did you also go through the mappings on the Harmony setup and configure each button? I know I did the above as well, and *forgot* to assign each button on the remote. (i.e. set "Up" as "Direction Up", "Record" as "C", etc.)

I did all of that - spent quite a while getting everything mapped out the way I wanted it. I actually mapped it out in both the device and the activity settings. And now nothing...
Crane Wrote:I did all of that - spent quite a while getting everything mapped out the way I wanted it. And now nothing...

Hmm. Sorry I had to ask, but I figured since I was a doof and forgot, someone else could have made a similar mistake. Hmm... That's a tough one. Here's a thought - if you have it mapped as an MCE keyboard, it *should* show some of your keystrokes (for example, letters like "C" or "I") in Notepad. What if you open Notepad and try the keys? If it registers there, then it might not be an XBMC problem. Also - do NOT set the "key mappings" setting in XBMC, as it's not required, and can cause issues with the keys you're using. Because you're setting up the remote as an MCE keyboard, it acts like a keyboard, and thus, should not have that flag set.

Good luck!
DurhamDev Wrote:Hmm. Sorry I had to ask, but I figured since I was a doof and forgot, someone else could have made a similar mistake. Hmm... That's a tough one. Here's a thought - if you have it mapped as an MCE keyboard, it *should* show some of your keystrokes (for example, letters like "C" or "I") in Notepad. What if you open Notepad and try the keys? If it registers there, then it might not be an XBMC problem. Also - do NOT set the "key mappings" setting in XBMC, as it's not required, and can cause issues with the keys you're using. Because you're setting up the remote as an MCE keyboard, it acts like a keyboard, and thus, should not have that flag set.

Good luck!

Thanks. Where do I find the key mapping setting within XBMC? Is there an actual toggle for it in the GUI or are you referring to editing the xml files?
Crane Wrote:Thanks. Where do I find the key mapping setting within XBMC? Is there an actual toggle for it in the GUI or are you referring to editing the xml files?

Sorry, but it seems I gave some poor information... Here is what I meant:

Make sure that SETTINGS / SYSTEM / INPUT DEVICES / REMOTE CONTROL SENDS KEYBOARD PRESSES is set as OFF.

That's what I meant, but you should be able to find it from here.
Thanks. I went in and toggled that setting off, but still no go. Very frustrating.
I finally got my harmony one working how I wanted for running windows media center for livetv/rectv/music and XBMC for movies and tv shows. Took me a a while to figure out how to get xbmc to get focus while media center was in use. I figured it out by using eventghost. I'd set the key F7 using the MCE keyboard trick, but I found that the actual key sent is F7+U00 as detected by eventghost. So programmed that in as the event and set it to find XBMC window and set it to front. Also programmed that nice switch between tv shows and movies in xbmc on the harmony as additional buttons.

I gotta say its an awesome combo for tv (windows media center on windows 7) and xbmc for movies and tv shows. Best of both worlds.

Thanks for everyones help in the thread and this forum, was a great help.
10 char relocating post:o
Like Crane above, this method doesn't appear to work with my Acer Revo running xbmc live either, most frustrating as it would of solved my problem of being able to access the context menu and ability to toggle subtitles on and off via the remote. Guess i shall have to figure out how i use EventGhost.
1981suede Wrote:Like Crane above, this method doesn't appear to work with my Acer Revo running xbmc live either, most frustrating as it would of solved my problem of being able to access the context menu and ability to toggle subtitles on and off via the remote. Guess i shall have to figure out how i use EventGhost.

I'm using the same setup and its working fine with me. Couple of quick questions

1) Did you select MCE KEYBOARD in the harmony (I HAD to search for MCE keyboard). There are several MCE devices and I had the choice of more than one keyboard. If you choose the right keyboard when you program the remote it should give you the option to program ANY keyboard button to any remote button. For testing purposes map "a" to a button.

2) If you did select MCE keyboard open notepad and push the number buttons (they are the same for the remote (which you said was working) and keyboard so it should work regardless). If that didn't work I suspect there is something wrong at the harmony end and I would try reprogramming it

3) If the numbers work try the letter key you mapped in step one. If you see "a" (no quotes ) in notepad everything is being received fine and its a problem in xbmc. I'd re install XBMC.

M
I used this method to setup my harmony and it works great. The only problem I had was xbmc would not pick up keymap.xml in the userdata folder so I had to edit the keyboard.xml in the installation folder. Here's what the edited parts of my xml looks like in case anybody is having trouble with this step.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <f1>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles)</f1>
      <f2>ActivateWindow(Home)</f2>
      <f3>XBMC.ShutDown</f3>
      <f4>XBMC.updatelibrary(video)</f4>
      <f5>XBMC.ActivateWindow(systemsettings)</f5>
      <f6>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles)</f6>
      <p>Play</p>
      <q>Queue</q>
      <f>FastForward</f>
      <r>Rewind</r>
      <left>Left</left>
      <right>Right</right>
      <up>Up</up>
      <down>Down</down>
      <pageup>PageUp</pageup>
      <pagedown>PageDown</pagedown>
      <return>Select</return>
      <enter>Select</enter>
      <backspace>ParentDir</backspace>
      <m>ActivateWindow(PlayerControls)</m>
      <s>ActivateWindow(shutdownmenu)</s>
      <escape>PreviousMenu</escape>
      <i>Info</i>
      <menu>ContextMenu</menu>
      <c>ContextMenu</c>
      <space>Pause</space>
      <x>Stop</x>
      <period>SkipNext</period>
      <comma>SkipPrevious</comma>
      <tab>FullScreen</tab>
      <printscreen>Screenshot</printscreen>
      <minus>VolumeDown</minus>
      <plus>VolumeUp</plus>
      <zero>Number0</zero>
      <one>Number1</one>
      <two>Number2</two>
      <three>Number3</three>
      <four>Number4</four>
      <five>Number5</five>
      <six>Number6</six>
      <seven>Number7</seven>
      <eight>Number8</eight>
      <nine>Number9</nine>
      <backslash>ToggleFullScreen</backslash>
      <browser_home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</browser_home>
      <browser_favorites>ActivateWindow(Favourites)</browser_favorites>
      <browser_refresh/>
      <browser_search/>
      <launch_app1_pc_icon>ActivateWindow(MyPrograms)</launch_app1_pc_icon>
      <launch_media_select>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</launch_media_select>
      <play_pause>Pause</play_pause>
      <stop>Stop</stop>
      <volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>
      <volume_mute>Mute</volume_mute>
      <volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
      <next_track>SkipNext</next_track>
      <prev_track>SkipPrevious</prev_track>
      <launch_mail/>
      <key id='61620'/>      <!-- same as above, launch_mail, but using button code (based on vkey id) -->
      <home>FirstPage</home>
      <end>LastPage</end>
      <key id='65446'>ParentDir</key>
      <key id='65459'>Play</key>
    </keyboard>
  </global>

Code:
<MyVideoLibrary>
    <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
      <delete>Delete</delete>
      <space>Playlist</space>
      <w>ToggleWatched</w>
    </keyboard>
  </MyVideoLibrary>

I followed this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=415...stcount=37 to select MCE keyboard in Harmony software. I also have f8 mapped to a exe script that exits xbmc and launches hulu desktop, when I exit hulu the script starts xbmc back up. I tried using the launcher script but I had problems with window focus and cpu usage.
edit - wurz's post on the previous page was also very helpful in figuring out how I wanted to setup the keys in the harmony software http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=461...stcount=73
Dignam Wrote:Just got my HP IR Receiver in the mail from Ebay finally. Was a cheap-o one like $12 I paid and it works beautifully with my Logitech Harmony 550. I am amazed how perfectly it all worked out!

The only issue I am yet to solve is powering on the computer from the remote. I can do it with a keyboard but cant seem to power any of the USB ports.

Harmony software for the MCE Keyboard comes with 24 pages of advanced buttons (about 96 keys). There will be an option there for Power Toggle.

Probably delete most keys (unneeded for media centre (esp if you have a wireless keyboard as well)) and keep Power Toggle, Start or Windows, Esc and some mouse functions. Ok should be enter and basically you're flying.

Anyone else with questions on their harmony should have a look at these two links:

http://www.bevhoward.com/Misc/IR/HarmonyAdvFaq.html

and

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...m-p/374844

Also you can't power on from usb afaik. If you mean wake from sleep then configure the appropriate usb controllers in device manager to wake from sleep and the remote should then work for you. I can't tell you wich HID device is the correct one - I had to use trial and error to find out.

Thanks
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost4