Cannot play DVDs (was:Autoplay or Play-Button for DVD ("Please insert disc"))
Hello!

I am new to this forum and first of all I would like to thank the XBMC developers for their good work.

I have already searched the forum for days to find a solution, but sometimes the thread don't match my problem and sometimes they are older and seem to be solved. So I hope it was ok to open a new thread.

Now the most important informations:
- I am currently running XBMC pre-9.10 r21646M (compiled 12.07.09)
- My system is Debian sid (10.07.2009) with kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64
- For window manager I use fluxbox or XFCE
- Here is the Debug Log

The problem I have with XBMC is that I am not able to play CD or DVD inserted in my DVD drive easily. If I select my drive anywhere in XBMC after a disc is inserted, it always says "Please insert disc".
For AUDIO CDs I am not able to play them at all.
DVDs can be played from XBMC file manager by selecting VIDEO_TS folder.

It is very easy to reproduce the issue. For the log I have done the following:
1. started xbmc-standalone as root
2. inserted a AUDIO CD
3. waited for dvd drive to settle
4. nothing happened and unable to play CD
5. removed AUDIO CD
6. inserted DVD
7. waited for XBMC to recognize it as harddrive and mount it
8. no autoplay and no play button (can be played via file manager)

The same happens, if I use xbmc-standalone as user. I can also use xbmc without standalone, but then it doesn't mount the drive of course.

I know how it should work, because I tried XBMC Live 9.04.1 on the same machine.
I also compiled Linux release 9.04.1 on my Debian sid and copied complete settings from XBMC Live over. The result was the same as described above.

The symbolic link from /usr/lib to /usr/lib64 is already there. I tried also different configurations in advancedsettings.xml with <usepcdvdrom> and <detectasudf>.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <usepcdvdrom>true</usepcdvdrom>
    <detectasudf>true</detectasudf>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks for any sugestions to solve this issue.
No ideas?
Doesno one else have this problem?

It seems that XBMC detects CD/DVD like an external drive and doesn't handle it as media put into CD/DVD drive.
Is it possible, that I have to tell XBMC something about my DVD drive?
Sorry for another reply on that issue, but I really can't find a solution by myself.

Now I am running XBMC pre-9.10 r21701. Everything else is unchanged.

I found one difference between my compiled Revision 21701 and XBMC Live 9.04.1.
In XBMC Live my dvd drive has the letter "D:/" in XBMC file browser and it also gives the state "empty", if there is no DVD inserted.
In compiled Version on Debian sid the dvd drive has no letter, path is "/", and there is no information about "empty" state.

Is it possible to configure the dvd drive somewhere in XBMC?
Is there an option for the dvd drive before compilation in a configure file?
I got the same problem. It would be great, if someone got a solution.
Have here the same problem. XBMC reads the HAL events fine and mount the dvd in the drive. When accessing the mounted movie dvd XBMC says no "disk in drive".
Hey guys. could you please post the exact version for your libcdio package? Arch should be on 0.81-2 iirc.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I appear to suffer from this same issue as well. My machine is running Arch Linux, and XBMC is installed via the xbmc-svn package on AUR (I have 21748-1, the latest so far). libcdio is at 0.81-2.

Here is a copy of my XBMC debug log for reference:
http://pastebin.com/m7b029dd

As a side note, I have set dev.cdrom.lock to 0 in sysctl.conf so that others can eject the disc, since the system swallows it whole and refuses to open up until I manually eject the disc via a terminal.
Thank's to all for the answers.

It was also my thought that one of the dependencies has a changed interface in a newer version. I have changed some configure scripts and Makefiles in following folders to include cdio.h and dvd.h on my debian system. They are both in folder /usr/include/cdio/:
Code:
xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/Codecs/libdvd/libdvdcss/
xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/Codecs/libdvd/libdvdcss/test
But that didn't solve the issue.

On Debian sid libcdio has version 0.81-4.

I have also set dev.cdrom.lock to 0 in sysctl.conf for ejecting the disc.
I remember immediate segfaults of xbmc on startup with the first release of libcdio 0.81 in ArchLinux. It got fixed upstream and in -2 later. Maybe there are more issues or the fix has nasty sideeffects.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Smile 
Great! Nod

I downgraded all libcdio stuff to version 0.78.2+dfsg1-3 and now I have a fully working XBMC Rev. 21818. Perhaps a XBMC developer can solve the problem with newer libcdio.

Changes to configure scripts and Makefiles to include cdio.h and dvd.h are not necessary.
Thanks for testing relaxx. This really points *AGAIN* to libcdio. Wonder if the problem is the lib itself or xbmc using it.
I files a bug for Arch Linux - please consider voting/confirming the issue over here to get the problem investigated: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15677

Feel free to vote/confirm even if you're with another distro but suffer from the same. That might make it easier to confirm upstream.
Little update: A user commented in the bug report that xbmc mount discs as external harddrives with libcdio 0.81 - hence no disc available to xbmc.
I know that this will be posting in the wrong thread considering I am posting an issue with my win32 release of xbmc, but I am also having the same problem with as described as relaxx. I figured I'd like to bring this to light, but having not posted on the xbmc forums this was the closest thread with my issue. I guess the problem was fixed downgrading the libcdio files from linux, but would anyone have an opinion as to why I would have this same issue on a win 32 system. Same diagnosis. Get same message, "Please insert disc" and can access through filemanager.

Debug log: http://pastebin.com/m4e721e3f
relaxx Wrote:Great! Nod

I downgraded all libcdio stuff to version 0.78.2+dfsg1-3 and now I have a fully working XBMC Rev. 21818. Perhaps a XBMC developer can solve the problem with newer libcdio.

This can't be the only problem though. I have an external DVD drive that is recognised only as a hard drive, and I'm using version 0.78.2 of libcdio. It didn't help with my XBMC on Jaunty (9.04.1).

PS. Thanks for the tip about sysctl.conf.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot play DVDs (was:Autoplay or Play-Button for DVD ("Please insert disc"))0