Solution to windows 7 and smb shares randomly stopping working
I had this same random problem with the XBOX reading from Vista and Win7 shares, I spent days in a sniffer and have found it all to be a problem with SMB2 in windows.

I'm going to Cross link this thread with another since I solved this a completely different way and it might help people who find this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64522

The registry entry I found know has fixed my issue and I can remove it and see the random issue reoccur.

Also keep in mind that XBMC for XBOX did have a problem in 2009 with accessing Windows-7 (not Vista). If you _allways_ get a LOCK screen (to Win7) you need to upgrade xbmc, if it's random (to Vista\Win7) and rebooting the windows box fixes it temporarily then you need to disable SMB2 or possibly try the other method mentioned above.
HTH
Had the exact problem after upgrading to karmic and xbmc 9.11. Suddenly my win7 (64bit) shares didn't show up at xbmc told me I had no network connection.

My win7 box is a clean install with only utorrent and a ftp-server as extra software.
If I reboot the win7box and my htpc with xbmc it works for a while. But suddenly no network connection.

Tried the smb2 reg fix, didn't work. Tried to do every step in the "How to setup win 7 shares for xbmc', didn't work.

Now it works, for now, and the last thing I did was to fix LAN manager authentication level.

Admin tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options - Network security: LAN Manager authentication level:

Set it to: Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

So far it seems to work. Just a tip.

If someone find a final solution it would be great.
badchx Wrote:Admin tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options - Network security: LAN Manager authentication level:

Set it to: Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

So far it seems to work. Just a tip.

Now the connection dropped again. But this time I only had to restart the xbmc and every win7 share was up and running again.
This is a very strange problem, and I can't seem to find a stable solution.
So if anyone out there now a solution, please let the people know about it.
I had smb password problem with pre installed win 7 after installing Windows Live - sign in assistant as soon as i found this post and removed it everything worked again. thanks for the infoBig Grin
It is, in fact, a solution for xbmc authentication.
Unfortunately, since I've uninstall the sing in assistant I'm having a lot of troubles with office live add-on Sad

To linux users there is another solution: use smbmount. It is possible (and faster) mount remote shares during the system boot and use the local mount point as source to XBMC. Using this method you can reinstall the sing in assistant.
Of course, this method requires a little linux knowledge... Not much, but you will need to know how to edit the /etc/fstab, create an local mount point (mkdir) etc.

Cheers.
FireMan Wrote:It is, in fact, a solution for xbmc authentication.
Unfortunately, since I've uninstall the sing in assistant I'm having a lot of troubles with office live add-on Sad

To linux users there is another solution: use smbmount. It is possible (and faster) mount remote shares during the system boot and use the local mount point as source to XBMC. Using this method you can reinstall the sing in assistant.
Of course, this method requires a little linux knowledge... Not much, but you will need to know how to edit the /etc/fstab, create an local mount point (mkdir) etc.

Cheers.
dump office live add on, and go w/ offisync (syncs to google apps cloud instead)? I prefer this method by default as I'm a gmail/android user.
babanoosh Wrote:dump office live add on, and go w/ offisync (syncs to google apps cloud instead)? I prefer this method by default as I'm a gmail/android user.

No way to use GoogleDocs! It's change all docs format. Has tried once, but I will never get close to it again No Too much pain for nothing. Maybe is a nice option to OpenOffice users, but makes no sense use GoogleDocs if u have Workspace Live for free and is running M$ Office.
I don't know OffiSync Toolbar, but isn't a free project (ok, it have a free version). Anyway, this doesn't going to be problem for long, since Office 2010 introduces a new way to share docs (SkyDrive, I think).

Cheers.
FireMan Wrote:No way to use GoogleDocs! It's change all docs format. Has tried once, but I will never get close to it again No Too much pain for nothing. Maybe is a nice option to OpenOffice users, but makes no sense use GoogleDocs if u have Workspace Live for free and is running M$ Office.
I don't know OffiSync Toolbar, but isn't a free project (ok, it have a free version). Anyway, this doesn't going to be problem for long, since Office 2010 introduces a new way to share docs (SkyDrive, I think).

Cheers.
i guess premier customers of google apps can save in native format. i didn't know that standard was changed, to be honest.

to me it makes sense to have everything in one place. offisync accomplishes that. office 2010 is out to biz since late last month... dunno about skydrive... maybe backend via sharepoint sync (emulates sharepoint services w/o have sharepoint server).

edit: looks like you can upload manually, uncheck convert, and thereby preserve native office integrity. if you have a lot of docs and don't want to do it manually, you may use 'DocList Uploader'.

IMO, no solution is complete w/o harnessing Goog if you are a gmail user and like seeing docs view in Gmail, and also prefer consolidation. Live Sync, Live Mesh, Skydrive, etc. etc. MS is just too damn confusing, and no way I'm putting my docs on their cloud.

me leaving my docs on a ms server will always be a problemNod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solution to windows 7 and smb shares randomly stopping working0