Ubuntu or live?
Ok so all of my parts are coming together. I just got used to xbmc for windows on my laptop. I'm pretty good with computers just not really good with linuix. But my htpc is the zotac ion dual core atom board, 2gb ram, 1tb 5900 rpm hd, and a sata dvdrw drive. Would I be better off using ubuntu with xbmc or just using xbmc live? And yes I know xbmc live is based off of ubuntu. But would I be better off with a full version of ubuntu? I'm going to be using it with blu Ray mkv rips and regualr DVD rips. I want 1080p to be smooth.
Not a question of having a smooth setup. More a question of useing the box solely for xbmc or for other purpose. You can always upgrade XBMCLive with apps.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
If you have to ask this question, your best bet is to start with a full ubuntu desktop installation. You can always cut it down or reinstall when you're more familiar with how things work.
I agree with Althekiller.
Check the wiki

also, I just made a install like that in a ION 330 (atom). It shouldn't be so different.
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54705
Haggy Wrote:Not a question of having a smooth setup. More a question of useing the box solely for xbmc or for other purpose. You can always upgrade XBMCLive with apps.

This is going to be only for xbmc. For my music, movies, and tv shows. I already have a laptop to rip my blu rays and for normal computing.
Then do as suggested: Use XBMCLive if you don't want to mess with anything, use Ubuntu if you're tempted to take the red pill and look deeper into the rabbit's hole Big Grin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yes, the reason why I say full ubuntu is that a pretty high percentage of the people asking that question returns with questions about pretty advanced stuff they need to re-cook the LiveCD.

My humble view is that the LiveCD is great if it is used as is. If not, it is easier to pick a wiki full install or XBMCbuntu.

BTW, does the live work with ION without updating the drivers?
Boot the live cd and perform a HDD install from it.

Then you have a nice minimal ubuntu Jaunty install
with the most important stuff allready there.

The only thing you dont have is KDE or GNOME.

but you can expand from there if you like.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu or live?0