[MAC] playercorefactory.xml (r21749) ...no external player support on Mac anymore?
Wanted to test the integrated support with playercorefactory.xml as described in http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback

unfortunately, wether the old advancedsettings.xml nor the implementation of
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6383 (playercorefactory.xml) does work on OSX.
Thats REALLY more than ditsy.
I always thought XBMC is a multi-platform Mediacenter...why does someone implement new "features" before the old one work on all platformsHuh Why was this change comitted to SVNHuh

davilla was near the finishing of an implementation of a fix for the focus issue on the MAC and now really everything seems to have changed to borked in here.

@tiben20: Could you please fix the code into something that is working on OSX, too? Could you please document the changes and give davilla some input?
Wow, nice way to show appreciation for a free product.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:Wow, nice way to show appreciation for a free product.

I appreciate XBMC - maye more than most people. I appreciate it so much that I gave best joice at sourceforge rating, that I bought hardware and equipment for a lot of money to see my dream of homeciiema come true.

If you look at my other posts, you will find gratefulness, engagement and compliments in every aspect.

It's just...I am waiting for so long now for this focus bug in OSX to be fixed ...and davilla almost did it...before that "extension patch" for external player came in shape of an advancement w/o documentation, destroying all what worked so far on OSX.

Instead of having external player support in its basic with focus bug, nothing works anymore for now. The "documentation" of the external player shows up with wether doing the config in advancedsettings.xml or playercorefactory.xml. Virtually, none of them work (anymore)

I hope, someone is looking into it. Again, I am appreciating every developer here, all the work and devotion of all people working on the project. And I am very gratefull for this incredible masterpiece of a mediacenter! I am still looking forward to that bugfix I missed for such a long time and think, it will take place finally and hopefully soon.

Thanks,

TvonT
You need to understand that people have other priorities than your own. If davilla figured that this was a big priority due to many people requiring this, then he would have been all over it.

But, it looks like the majority don't require this. He has more important things to work on at this time.

I'm sure he will come back to this when his other priorities are satisfied.

The external player stuff is really only used by a small subset of users, and even less on MAC.

Sorry.. That is the reality.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
asking for pardon...big SORRY

I had a syntax error in the playercorefactory.xml (<forceontop> was at the wrong position). With the following settings it works with VLC at least the same way it did before the introduction of playercorefactory.xml:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="externalplayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC</filename>
<args>--video-on-top --play-and-exit</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</player>
</players>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
</playercorefactory>

@davilla:
This means, the "forceontop" switch you implemented is still there - just the config file changed. Maybe this will help you to pick up the thread back in. I hope you do...(9.04...somebody told me OoNod )
Is there any way to make it work on mac os x?
Why would anyone need this on OS X? Doesn't built-in ffmpeg play anything just fine? I've never had XBMC unable to play anything. Just curious.
I have another thread already open for that.

I tried a lot of things already.

I would like to start iTunes as an external player for playing all the ddm protected stuff I bought from iTunes. I don't want to convert everything. There has to be a way.

I already set up a playercorefactory.xml at the location /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/userdata/.

Is that the right location?

My playercorefactory.xml looks like that:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name=“ITunes“ type="ExternalPlayer" audio=“false“ video=“true“>
<filename>/Applications/ITunes.app/Contents/MacOS/Itunes</filename>
<args>“{1}“</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</player>
</players>
<rules action=“prepend“>
<rule name=“DRM“ filename=“*.m4v“ player=“ITunes“ />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

That does not work...

Anybody got an idea why and what to change?
Are you sure iTunes accepts a video file as parameter? What do you mean by "it doesn't work" - is it starting itunes at least? also provide a debug log (wiki)

Also in your pasted playercorefactory.xml i see invalid characters - just have a look at the "" they differ between "type" and "name" for example. The ones from "type" are the correct ones.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This playercorefactory.xml works for me:

http://pastebin.com/jbF8CkZA
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I tried your code, but it doesn't work either.

Now, I would like to answer your questions:

When I try to start a M4V file, it XBMC tries to play it with its internal players. It doesn't even start iTunes or anything. Maybe I put it in the wrong place?

There is already a playercorefactory.xml file in the path:

/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/playercorefactory.xml

Maybe thats the problemHuh

Any idea why its not working?

My system is a mac mini running the latest official release of Mavericks.

Appreciate the help.

XBMC does not crash, when opening the M4V Files. It just shows a picture and then freezes. I am still able to navigate back...
I tried your tip with the debugging and found that the file was not in the right location. The file has to go in a folder, which is normally hidden. Then your solution with iTunes worked, but I didn't stream the content. It tried to copy the file into the iTunes Media and only then it played it.

So I altered your file. Now it looks something like this:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="Quicktime" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>"open -a /Applications/'QuickTime Player.app'"</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule name="DRM" filename="*.m4v" player="Quicktime" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

And then I put that file into the following location:
/Users/sj/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/playercorefactory.xml

That works...
Now I am able to play DRM protected stuff with XBMC.
I also found a way to automatically start Quicktime. Just put the following line into terminal:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 1

The only thing I am still trying to figure out is to open quicktime in fullscreen and automatically close it after the film is finished.

Any Ideas on that?

Thanks for the help. That really helped...
no idea - i guess some magic apple script will do it - also the correct location for the file is definitly mentioned in our wiki - where did you read about the playercorefactory.xml in the first place?
Thank you for your help...
Now the player issue is resolved... I think.

Have to figure out some other issues with DVD folder structure of my TV-SHows. But thats another issue.
DIRECTORY PATH confusion
Trying to set a path in playercorefactory.xml that works in v18 Leia. But KODI log says VLC player doesn't exist.
If I choose PLAY WITH VLC from context menu, KODI freezes, and VLC is open on the Mac desktop (with a VLC cleanup error message).
Can you offer any advice on how to determine the correct <filename> path? Por Favor :0)

Q: So, if playercorefactory.xml is in the userdata folder where it's suppose to be, how does it get out of that directory and find its way back up to the Mac's "Applications" directory?
The recommended path does not work, i.e. <filename>/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC</filename>

Thank you for your kind help :0)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] playercorefactory.xml (r21749) ...no external player support on Mac anymore?0