[XBOX] How do I get started with Xbox modding?
(This is probably in the wrong section)
I have a Panasonic 4s" 1080p, and sadly, I have no upscaling dvd players, BD players, or HD consoles. I do have a wii, but it is in another room(I do not intend to support another gaming console). I do happen to have a large collection of digital videos, which I would like to display on the TV. At first, I was considering an Apple TV with Boxee, but because all it can really do is upscale to 1080p, and not play HD videos at acceptable framerates, so I figured that it is no better than an XBOX running XBMC. With the new DiVX encoder, at least the Xbox can do lowbitrate 720p>1080i(which would then be deinterlaced to display 1080p), and also upscale SD DVDs to 1080i. I guess that will be acceptable until brandname BD players get into the 99 range. The XB must be wireless,though, because it will be located away from my router. However, I do not know how to get started.

Here is my situation:
I have no Xbox.
I have no memory card.
I have no Action Replay,
I have no Wireless bridge.
I only have $50 to spend.
I want to be done within 2 days, and with the shortest/easiest method.

Can it be done? How do I get started?
I don't think the xbox is capable of upscaling to 1080 while decoding divx.
Silverxxx Wrote:I don't think the xbox is capable of upscaling to 1080 while decoding divx.
So in order to display the 720p videos, I have to set the Xbox to output 720p?(Since I have no xbox, I also have xbox compatible component cables).
No one can help me get started in the simplest way?
in my opinion, your request is impossible. I just barely modded another xbox and had to spend $53 for it used. I know there are places out there where you could get one cheaper, but even if you get it for $20, then you'll still have to get either a wireless adapter for it or hook it up to a wireless laptop or bridge and all of those options are going to set you back $30 if you get a good deal.

You could use the hotswap method which would be free as long as you have the necessary equipment. I've personally never done a mod that way since I use a memory card with an action replay, but as far as I know, it's the only free option since you're already at or surpassed your $50 limit by now.

(I'm not sure about your post about having component cables, because your sentence seems set up to actually say "Since I have no xbox, I also have no xbox compatible component cables.")
If you get to this point, you'd still need a component cable for the xbox which is going to set you back another $7.50 at least if you go the generic route which some people have had problems with. I have a generic and don't experience any side-effects myself.

After you mod the box and get the cables, then you'd need to install XBMC.

Good luck and don't be afraid of searching the forums. if you don't like the forum search tool, go to google and type in "site:xbmc.org blah blah" to limit the search to xbmc.org site. i sometimes use that method because you can't use the site's search consecutively without a short timeout.
When posting about a problem please submit a debug log to give you the best chance at getting an answer. It's easy, painless, and helps provide necessary information.
hmm, one question. How well does the xbox upscale dvds to 1080i, as compared to a standalone player like the oppo(s)?
I've never done it myself and don't own a standalone player, but check out this, this, and this. They seem to be satisfied with it.
When posting about a problem please submit a debug log to give you the best chance at getting an answer. It's easy, painless, and helps provide necessary information.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] How do I get started with Xbox modding?0