• 4(current)
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV?
So in theory. If xbmc gets configured to see the broadcom crystal HD card and we have installed it into the apple tv. Will we still be using the old apple os and xbmc combination or would it necessary to install Linux onto the appletv instead to get it to work?
deano72 Wrote:So in theory. If xbmc gets configured to see the broadcom crystal HD card and we have installed it into the apple tv. Will we still be using the old apple os and xbmc combination or would it necessary to install Linux onto the appletv instead to get it to work?

Details, mere details Smile , I would not worry about which OS to choose.
LOL Cheers......
So, which card should I order? the BCM70010 or the BCM70012 or are they both the same? I gave up my AppleTV, but since the price drop and the prospect of this happening, I've already ordered up a new aTV.

Thanks!
davilla Wrote:Details, mere details Smile , I would not worry about which OS to choose.

Ohh yes that's sounds good....I was already searching for some kind of replacement for my atv.....but now ATV+Crystal HD = cheapest multimedia system ever Big Grin

any ETA to se this card fully supported in XBMC?

Another question, also the skins will take advantage of the broadcom chipset or just the video files? I will love to use AEON smoothly on my ATVSmile

thx
^tWiSt^ Wrote:Another question, also the skins will take advantage of the broadcom chipset or just the video files? I will love to use AEON smoothly on my ATVSmile

thx

I would be so much surprised if it does. Rofl
davilla Wrote:Ebay is a wonderful source for all sorts of items.

And since they were so darn cheap I purchased a few of them now.. since people on ebay tend to notice a greater interest and raise prices accordingly.

I just didn't want to take the chance of being left without and/or paying $40 or $50 per due to increased interest. Tho it looks like there are a good number of (potentially?) different sellers so perhaps prices will remain.

Either way... I figured for 2x for $57 bucks (something like that) I really couldn't go to far wrong.

Now do I buy up a couple ATVs perhaps even from the closeout section or play the waiting game to see if a new model shows up for the holiday buying season? I have a mini already so I'm thinking that I'll be able to utilize one of the BCM970012's I ordered in that.

But I got 4 tv's in total I'd like to cover.

Master bedroom ?42" Aqusos, Family room ?54/56" Aquos, 20" Noname Kitchen TV and the Guest room TV and Computer Room TV (currently still CRTs)

So thats actually 5 total but the guest room is last on the list...

Dave
sircube Wrote:I would be so much surprised if it does. Rofl

Yea, would skins take advantage of the BCM970012, I'm thinking no as well. Since unless I'm way off base the UI elements are all being done in the OS.

NOW if you could somehow hack the OS to somehow utilize the BCM970012 at the core then we'd REALLY have something wouldn't we!!!

Personally, I think a better group to ask would be the people involved in the OSX86 projects... I'm willing to bet that they would be in a better position to answer such things.

Dave
DaveGee Wrote:Yea, would skins take advantage of the BCM970012, I'm thinking no as well. Since unless I'm way off base the UI elements are all being done in the OS.

NOW if you could somehow hack the OS to somehow utilize the BCM970012 at the core then we'd REALLY have something wouldn't we!!!

Personally, I think a better group to ask would be the people involved in the OSX86 projects... I'm willing to bet that they would be in a better position to answer such things.

Dave

Skins are just pushing around YUV images (compressed), no gain here from any hw decoder. Moving to PBOs for loading YUV images would get the GPU doing DMA instead of doing the copy into the GPU using the CPU. That could accelerate skins.
davilla Wrote:Skins are just pushing around YUV images (compressed), no gain here from any hw decoder. Moving to PBOs for loading YUV images would get the GPU doing DMA instead of doing the copy into the GPU using the CPU. That could accelerate skins.

Based on the words and terms I actually understand, I'll take this as a "not at present, no it won't. With a non-trivial update to the way XBMC does skins perhaps it might (some day)." Big Grin

Dave
No new activity eh?

Well I had a dream last night and I'm no longer worried about what OS this stuff may or may not be supported in.

In short it told me...

- If you can physically install this card & launch XBMC then you will benefit.

This is with the assumption that some madman who's really good with a soldering gun doesn't figure out some insane way to pop card this into an Xbox. Cause then, you might not get support right away. Big Grin

Now here's a crazy idea...

Utilizing this card while a GODSEND for AppleTV or other low powered devices... could this also be put to use in a desktop with an adapter that would allow you to install mini-pci cards? I'm fairly certain the answer would be yes... now if so could the extra boost provided by the card allow one system to stream TWO 1080p streams to two different HD TV's in the house at the same time?

Yes I realize XBMC wasn't designed or engineered to behave in such a manner... However, could it be possible if it was? Or could it be done with raw tools that would simply play the individual streams utilizing the cards extra boost?

Interesting though...

Dave
I've been following this thread closely, and finally decided to pull the trigger and ordered the broadcom card and got a 160g appletv.

I want to thank Davilla and all for making it really easy to get xbmc up on the atv, I was impressed at how easy it was and excited about getting full hd decoding going in the future.

While I'm still figuring out the other stuff involved/available, and/or specific to the atv, its a nice bump from the xbox (and so much quieter too).
the only adapter I've found so far - $25

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP1.html

which I believe would make it cheaper/easier to simply put in a proper video card that can do VDPAU...
neat, but would it fit an atv?
So how many model's are they're? It looks like 2. Unless the sellers on ebay are labeling them wrong.

I see BCM 70012 and BCM 970012
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV?9