[WIP] WebKit HTML Layout Engine / Web Browser integration into XBMC - developers only
Looks like Boxee has made the webkit integration, is this FOSS? Cant seem to find a place on their wiki etc where they delineate what is FOSS and what is proprietary.

In short, can we port it to XBMC? Its a pretty important feature IMHO.
Soju Wrote:Looks like Boxee has made the webkit integration, is this FOSS? Cant seem to find a place on their wiki etc where they delineate what is FOSS and what is proprietary.

In short, can we port it to XBMC? Its a pretty important feature IMHO.

I think the news actually says they're switching to webkit, not that they've already switched.

In any case, it would be interesting to see how they go about implementing this.
Rolling webkit bits into the binary addon structure would be nice. Sort of like how pysqlite is done. Then it can be a depends of future addons and most important, it removes having to bring in some webkit thing into svn trunk (once we sort out have to handle binary addions properly).

I'd like to see a generic interface to the "webkit" addon such that each platform can use what is available to it rather than trying to find a one size fits all solution.

Of course, we can always wait to see what Boxee brings to the source code table. Their release of Boxee Box is only in November.
Is Boxee open-source? I looked for a source download but I couldn't find it...

On a side note: I found some python script which drives the Crunchyroll app in Boxee (and I know nothing of Python but it looked like most of the engine is elsewhere) and I found a mini-browser in there as well.

The whole Boxee approach is a mix of external players and Boxee self. The downside to this is the fact that flash (on my system at least) and Boxee can't use the optical output at the same time. So I use Boxee to view anime but nothing else since there is no sound for native media.

And now the clue of my ramblings: if the webkit (or any other engine) would be integrated as an addon, would the sound be passed through XBMC? Even from the flash plugin?
how about http://mozillalabs.com/chromeless/2010/1...ml-css-js/
xbmc-pvr-ppa-odk68, Gentoo x86 3.0.7-pf, xorg-server-1.11.2, mesa-7.11, nvidia-drivers-290.10
This is actually a serious flaw for me as I think its kinda a overlooked feature as you can already access the webs data but just not the web. What would the steps be that need to taken to make this come to fruition. The major part would be implementing a web rendering engine, right? I saw another topic on this an I'm surprised that no one else feels that xbmc needs a integrated browser to complete the couch comfort experience.
@motd2k

Is your code available somewhere?

We where talking about implementing a browser. Maybe we could carry on your work or at least borrow some ideas.
I believe motd2k had used awesomium for his implementation. Awesomium went closed source so if he indeed used awesomium, there wouldn't be much use for the code for his web browser.

Of course, motd2k could explain this better.
ceros Wrote:I believe motd2k had used awesomium for his implementation. Awesomium went closed source so if he indeed used awesomium, there wouldn't be much use for the code for his web browser.

Of course, motd2k could explain this better.

There still exists a FOSS fork of Awesomium AFAIK.

Generally, is this a long term option? I noticed that the road map has this:

"HTML Layout Engine
Possibly embed WebKit as a back-end for an integrated Web Browser and HTML Layout Engine framework

Enable XBMC Addons to run natively within an integrated HTML5 web browser off an such web server

Enable rendering of non-native web based applications that run in that integrated HTML5 web browser

Enable input to non-native web based applications that run in that integrated HTML5 web browser"

There are limitations of HTML5 that can be addressed with FFMPEG? I assume that DVDplayer in that case would be through away code? The advantages a a are there as well. It would be a huge decision.
> it appears I cannot share link to binary distribution

EDIT: Removed questionable url link

It is customized version for specific content. I have added VLC player to better handle online streams and integrated webkit engine with flash plugin. Adobe also provides distribution package if you request it, so that is included also.

There is WebBrowser.Open() that can handle html, flv and swf.

here is how webbrowser fullscreen window looks like in skin file:
Code:
<window id="2105">
<defaultcontrol>-</defaultcontrol>
    <controls>
        <control type="image">
            <posx>0</posx>
            <posy>0</posy>
            <width>1280</width>
            <height>720</height>
            <texture border="20">special://skin/backgrounds/browser-background.jpg</texture>
        </control>
        <control type="webbrowser">
            <description>Web browser controll. Notice that background is transparent</description>
            <posx>0</posx>
            <posy>0</posy>
            <width>1280</width>
            <height>720</height>
        </control>
    </controls>
</window>

webkit rendering is done in XBMC render loop so this allows to use it like any other visual control.

There are also bunch of scripts to support this skin.

I was planning to implement content records using sqlite but there was no time back then. So now scripts generate skin xml files (Big Grin how perverted) and then skin restart is needed.
You certainly have my blessing Wink A native render for the web would be nice to integrate content more based on HTML/CSS and JavaScript.
Is this thread dead??
Hi,

Palalisimo Wrote:Is this thread dead??

seems to be Blush

Greetz X23
(2011-05-25, 01:48)x23piracy Wrote: seems to be Blush

Why? Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] WebKit HTML Layout Engine / Web Browser integration into XBMC - developers only1