XBMC, bluetooth and Apple Wireless Keyboard
I have XBMC Live, usb bluetooth and Apple Wireless Keyboard. My set PC: ZOTAC 9300-ITX WiFi / E5200 / Feel 202.

What I need to do to the keyboard to work?
Anyone can help me?
You need a bluetooth dongle obviously and you also need to run
Code:
sudo apt-get bluez
to install the BT stack in Linux.
You'll need to install blueman, pair up the keyboard using its GUI (there literally is no actually functioning way to pair a bluetooth *anything* in linux using a terminal interface!)

Then every time you reboot the machine, you need to power the keyboard off and then back on after bluetooth has been initialized, because the hid_apple kernel module (HID quirks for Apple hardware) is essentially buggy.
There is no need to install blueman if you want a slim and fast Ubuntu XBMC installation (no desktop), just follow these instructions:

1. Do a "hcitool scan" to get the address of the device you wish to pair
2. Start "trayer" and then "bluetooth-applet"
3. Do a "hidd --connect 00:00:00:00:00:00" where you use the address you found instead
4. The bluetooth-applet will ask you for the pin and the device pairs up correctly!
@ Zapata : Not entirely on topic but I see in your sig that you have an ASUS AT3N7A-I. Do you got the onboard bluetooth working on the ASUS AT3N7A-I ?
I managed to connect my Apple Wireless Keyboard to my ZBOX HD-ID11 running XBMC Live this way:

sudo apt-get install bluez & "hcitool scan" as suggested by Zapata
I also did sudo apt-get install bluez-utils
&
sudo aptitude install bluez-compat
(because the hidd-command got rejected)
Then I could do a "hidd --connect <ADDR>"

My question now is: How can I make this connection permanent? (linux-noob)
I want to be able to use it directly, since I have two OS's installed - and want to be able to choose the second OS at times.
As of now I have to connect it manually after each reboot through putty, or another keyboard.
Bump on this one. I'm also interested on getting an automatic reconnection upon boot. Got it working, but I have to run the connect tool each time I reboot my machine.
I haven't tried it yet. But if you follow what Zapata said, and then follow some of this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-bl...buntu.html It should work.

I'll try it later tonight myself.
Boback Wrote:I haven't tried it yet. But if you follow what Zapata said, and then follow some of this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-bl...buntu.html It should work.

I'll try it later tonight myself.

I referenced that link, but ran into some issues that I believe stem from this being XBMC Live and not a full blown version of ubuntu. The following commands do not exist:
1. /bluez-utils
2. gedit

With that in mind, any ideas of workarounds to enable the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard to AUTOMATICALLY reconnect from sleep to XBMC Live?
ziptbm Wrote:I referenced that link, but ran into some issues that I believe stem from this being XBMC Live and not a full blown version of ubuntu. The following commands do not exist:
1. /bluez-utils
2. gedit

With that in mind, any ideas of workarounds to enable the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard to AUTOMATICALLY reconnect from sleep to XBMC Live?
1. apt-get install bluez-utils
2. use vi or nano instead of gedit
pumkinut Wrote:1. apt-get install bluez-utils
2. use vi or nano instead of gedit

Awesome, that worked! So my keyboard connects automatically when I reboot the machine, however it does NOT automatically reconnect after the keyboard is put into sleep mode or is turned off.

Is there anyway to get this connection to re-establish automatically?
Did you guys manage to get it to re-sync ?
Revived because this page is the #1 hit for setting up an Apple wireless keyboard in xbmc.

My setup:
  • Apple A1314 (2009)
  • Raspberry Pi model B
  • RaspBMC 2.0 (XBMC 13.1)
  • ASUS USB-BT400
  • SSH terminal over home network

I Gathered the following steps from a variety of websites. The first of which was http://frankmitchell.org/2013/04/apple-pi/ (most commands used with sudo)

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install bluetooth bluez python-gobject bluez-compat blueman
update-rc.d -f dbus defaults
lsusb
hcitool dev
hcitool scan
bluez-simple-agent hci0 MA:CA:DD:RE:SS:00
bluez-test-device trusted MA:CA:DD:RE:SS:00
bluez-test-input connect MA:CA:DD:RE:SS:00

First off, the passkey did not appear as the tutorials stated. Instead I got a prompt so I entered a four digit code in the terminal and hit enter; Then I immediately did the same for the new keyboard.
I could not get the keyboard to pair up though. Yes it was a trused device, yes it was in pairing mode when I added it. But now instead of a twice blinking light, when hit the power button, I got a steady light for 3 seconds, then off it went. After much aggravation, I came across this page http://idebian.wordpress.com/2008/07/06/...-in-linux/ written 6 years ago!! It had the last piece of the puzzle.

Code:
invoke-rc.d bluetooth restart
hidd --connect MA:CA:DD:RE:SS:00

I had restarted twice and still couldn't connect until I manually restarted the Bluetooth service. Then I had to use hidd to add the device. The light now comes on when powered on, and disappears after about 3 seconds. The Bluetooth keyboard works fine now. Hopefully this helps someone else out there!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC, bluetooth and Apple Wireless Keyboard0