XBMC with Gateway SX2800
Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing the Gateway SX2800 as HTPC and since no one has checked it's video-playback capabilities I'd like to hear your opinion whether It'll be capable of playing Full-HD content. Here's the relevant specifications and link to the manufacturer's site:

# Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
# Memory: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM
# Hard drive: 640GB SATA @ 7200RPM
# Optical drive: 18X DVD+/-RW SuperMulti drive with LightScribe capability
# Sound: Integrated HD audio with USB-powered external stereo speakers
# Video card: Intel X4500HD integrated graphics
# Networking: 10/100/1000 Ethernet
# Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668287.php

Thanks!
The integrated video will not be able to process any of the HD content. You NEED to use an nVidia 8series+ video card to use vdpau, or you'll need a cpu >3.0ghz to play 1080p.

Search my friend Laugh
Thanks for the advice.

Currently I'm using XBMC on my ThinkPad T400 with Intel P8400 (2.26GHz), 4GB of RAM and integrated Intel 4-series display adapter. All this with Vista Ultimate 64bit, and 1080p runs smoothly!

In addition, as far as I know vdpau can only be used with Linux, while I'm more of a Windows person (Don't get mad please...) (Any hardware-acceleration capabilities for Windows are planned for future XBMC releases?)

So, can you recommend a decent-sized (something like this Gateway or Dell Studio Hybrid) HTPC which you think will be able to play 1080p smoothly?

Thanks!
Not sure what tsack is talking about. I have an awesome HTPC with ATI HD 3200 integrated and can play 1080p movies like it was 480i. Super fast and responsive with no framerate issues or anything. My gateway c-141xl laptop can even play 1080p video with an ATI mobility HD 2300.

It looks like those specs are pretty good although I've never had luck with integrated intel graphics. I continue to have issues with family members who have laptops with integrated intel graphics. The drivers had always been way behind for use with a large TV even though the laptops have HDMI ports.

HTPC Specs:
AMD Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz 3 core 95w
MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 plus the preamp soundcard
4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 hard drives
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum Media Center / HTPC Case
I'm also not sure what tstack is talking about. I have a Q6600 that can play full HD without overclocking or VDPAU support.

So long as your intel video card can get OpenGL 2.0 installed onto with the driver install, you should be fine. It is worth noting, though, that XBMC cannot take advantage of more than two cores. This means if this is primarily an htpc setup and you have the option, you might be better off getting a dual core processor at a slightly higher clock.

Your choice though.
Just a sidenote: I've been on the vdpau branch since the early days. As it naturally sometimes just didn't work i switched to Advanced Shaders (GLSL) rendering on my tiny AMD X2 4850e - and 1080p movies played nonetheless with only rare stutter on heavy bandwidth scenes. Don't see any reason why a Core based Intel cannot handle this. The only downside i see is high load, heat and thus noise.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with Gateway SX28000