[MAC] Pictures glitches over SMB in XBMC for Mac on PPC (PowerPC)?
Question 
Has anyone seen a situation where pictures served over SMB are all corrupt? What I mean by corrupt is they just look like random garbage. However the odd thing is that the thumbnails are all correct. It doesn't matter what file type, they are all like that.

The source is a symbolic link to the "Originals" folder within my iPhoto library.

I also noticed that on two skins there is a similar situation with some of the GUI background images. Could my XBMC install have got corrupted some how? I just installed it fresh a couple days ago before I started trying to set it up.

Edit: also, XBMC doesn't ever WRITE to the files that it has access to over the network, right? I mean it's not writing thumbnails for instance to the original files, correct?
Correct - XBMC does not write to your folder. Which revision of XBMC are your running?

Also, are the skin images loading over SMB? Does the same problem happen if the images are local?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks very much for replying.

>> Correct - XBMC does not write to your folder.

Whew

>> Which revision of XBMC are your running?

version 9.04.1 for PPC. Downloaded fresh just a few days ago.

>> Also, are the skin images loading over SMB?

No. They are local.

> Does the same problem happen if the images are local?

Except for the skin issue above, I'm not sure yet. I would check but I don't want to interrupt the (very long, maybe days) scan of my music collection. (you replied in other thread, i have other questions there too. thanks).

Anyway I will check this ASAP and report back.

Edit: local files are doing the same thing as well. the skin that works is Project Mayhem III. The other 2 default skins are having the same image problem with background images.
You didnt mention what plattform you are on.
But this sounds like a memory issue, maybe you are running out of memory ?
If you enable debugmode you can see on the top of the screen the status of your memory...
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
I did mention the platform. It says [MAC] in the title and I mention PPC (PowerPC) in the above post. I suppose it COULD be a memory issue but I did two things:

1. defragged my disk
2. downloaded and installed fresh copy of XBMC 9.04.1 (repackaged) for PPC
3. rebooted fresh and ran nothing except small background daemons and XBMC.
4. did nothing in XBMC except open a local picture file.

Same thing. Would be immensely surprised if it were memory.

edit: i am running on a an older machine which isn't exactly a supercomputer, but 1 GB of RAM should be ok to show a picture.
Okay then so prolly not a memory issue.

Could you post a COMPLETE debug log with a session where you try to watch pictures ?

use pastebin or similar sites. (you could clean the logfile first so it's not so large)
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
The problem with the skins is probably that the textures were packed little endian and you're PPC version is expecting big endian.

I'll let our PPC dev know.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

well i'm happy to report that for now at least the problem fixed itself -- apparently by shutting down the computer for a few hours (after it being on for a few days). maybe overheated processor? still it doesn't make total sense that it was just images that did that and not movies or most of the interface or anything outside of XBMC. so just odd i guess. the only other factor was turning ON the debug log haha. as for the big endian encoding, i saw this message after shutting down the puter and can't test that theory with another skin right now. will report next time.
jmarshall Wrote:The problem with the skins is probably that the textures were packed little endian and you're PPC version is expecting big endian.

I'll let our PPC dev know.

Cheers,
Jonathan

This happened again -- on a relatively fresh restart. So it's not the processor heat I suppose after all.

Interesting finding: I was using Rowmote and the pictures are sent correctly to the iPhone, while displaying as garabage on the Panasonic monitor. So I would guess it's not a decoding problem? Or maybe the iPhone is doing the decoding separately?
I have the same problem with my PPC Mac Mini. Windows version works just great.
Could you describe how to reproduce the problem?
Is it systematic? Always with the same pictures?
Please pastebin the xbmc.log when the problem occurs (don't forget to enable debug logging).
Thanks
I can't narrow down how to reproduce it. all i know is once it starts happening it doesn't stop on that launch, and it is by no means certain that a relaunch will cure it. on the PPC it happens about 90% of the time. ie, it sometimes but rarely works. I posted a log already in this thread -- in that session I also looked at pictures, I'm fairly certain, because I was testing all the issues I was having. But nothing noticeable there. Unfortunately today I gave up on the PPC & XBMC. Will return to it hopefully later down the development line. I offered to retest a new build though especially with regards to the USB to Digital audio output issue. Will test this again at that time.
The debug logging was not enabled in the log you posted...
Really need that to investigate.
So far I haven't managed to reproduce the problem on my mac mini G4.
Hi,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem as ctawn.
I'm running XBMC 9.04.1 on my Mac Mini (PPC) 1,25 Ghz 1GB Ram and ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB (most PPC mac minis have 64MB). It is a pretty old Mac mini.

If you are intetrested to find out more about this problem, I'm happy to post some logs. Just let me know what you need from me.

Kind regards Still

BTW: Thank you for all your hard work . This is the best "open source" product I know. Never believed "Open Source" can be such professional.
Sure, pastebin xbmc.log when the problem occurs (activate debug logging before).
With what kind of pictures do you have the problem? Type? Size?
The more details you can give, the better.
xbmc.log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/xbmc.log

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Pictures glitches over SMB in XBMC for Mac on PPC (PowerPC)?0