• 4(current)
[LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux
Great, thanks! I'll try tonight when I get home. I want to see if that might fix my playback issues I'm having with 1080p material. For some reason the images stutter during playback, while audo does not. CPU use is low, so I know VDPAU is working...I've got adjust resfresh rate selected, but that doesn't seem to help any.
Quote:cho "[*] Installing Gnome Essentials"
sudo apt-get -y install gnome-core gdm network-manager-gnome fast-user-switch-applet \
human-theme x11-xserver-utils tangerine-icon-theme gnome-themes-ubuntu ubuntu-artwork \
jockey-gtk gnome-screensaver gnome-utils
echo "[*] Installing Application Essentials"
sudo apt-get install -y gcalctool tsclient

(NB Is it easier to select one of the apps offered in the list during the cd install process to create a desktop environment? I tried selecting ubuntu desktop but it just installed a full blown ubuntu desktop with all the apps. which option do i select for a bare minimum Gnome desktop environment?)

Then I ran your script.

But what I get is XBMC auto runs and I cant exit XBMC and drop into the desktop? is your script basically causing

Nothing is broken (I think). It is just that this type of installation does not exit back to command line. This could probably be fixed with some effort. Until then you can boot into safe mode or do CTRL-1 and then killall xbmc.bin.

In command line you can enter gnome by typing startx.
(If you run the script after you installed gnome startx will probably bring up fluxbox instead of gnome, re-install gnome maybe fix this)
You may want to skip GDM, it is not needed in this setup.

If you re-install with minimal, run the script and then install gnome minus GDM it will work for sure.
I am stumbling at step 1.... Do I need 32 bit or 64 bit ubuntu?

I googled and it seems 64 works, but 32 is recommended?
kees667 Wrote:I am stumbling at step 1.... Do I need 32 bit or 64 bit ubuntu?

I googled and it seems 64 works, but 32 is recommended?

Just use a 32bit system dude! much easier to configure.
Thanks! will do right now.

MartijnKooi Wrote:Just use a 32bit system dude! much easier to configure.
It is running. I still have some issues and questions, for which I opened a new thread. A lot of thanks for this script!

Some feedback from a complete linux noob:
-I didnt know to choose between 32bit or 64 bit ubuntu
-a screen popped up: alsamixer - didnt know how to proceed and pressed escape. Now 5.1 audio works (optical cable to amp) but mp3 files have no audio. Did I mess up?
-I chose expert install (not very smart - but i always do this in windows as well. Wanted to see if I could choose between filesystems but didnt see that option) I chose basic ubunti server, openssh and samba only but I did see openoffice fly by on screen. Guess I won't need it, but does it hurt?
Thanks Cyberpark, this is a great little script. Keep up the good work. I can confirm everything works great on the Acer Revo. I've written a mini guide here:

http://www.rownet.co.uk/xbmc-on-the-acer...evo-r3600/

Thanks again.
Hello, and thanks for the feedback so far.

Just came home from vacation and will look into the different replies to see what has to be improved further.

Keep the testing and feedback coming!
ASRock ION 330 | Onkyo TX-SR707 | KEF 2005.5 | Samsung LE-40F86 | Harmony 1000 Remote Control | XBMC Media Center Linux Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04
My XBMC Custom Installation script for Linux
Sound is working now by the way. I had to set iec958 as default audio device (asrock 330) which was a little confusing as there is no dropdown menu.

Also wondered which XBMC version I have now, I guess latest stable.

Under programs I have no SVN Repo Installer, will google for that. - found it in the root but I cant delete it

I don't know what this does: "chown -R xbmc:xbmc" but does it mean the password for xbmc must also be xbmc? mine isnt so that would explain.

Last: if there is a new stable version, can I just run the script again?
chown stands for "change ownership" it allows you to set file level permissions to the user and group e.g. xbmc:xmbc (user:group)

So the command: chown -R xbmc:xmbc "SVN Repo Installer"

is recursively (-R) setting the "SVN Repo Installer"
directory to be owned by the xbmc user and group.
sorry forgot to say, it has nothing to do with your password. If you need to change that (which you probably don't if your running commands) you can run the "passwd" command.
Thanks. This leaves me just with svn repo in root and I can't delete it. I used winscp to my Asrock with both the xbmc account and the account created when installing Ubuntu in this guide. neither allow me to remove the folder. Also puzzled how it ended up in the root folder ( i read the script, it should be in an xbmc subfolder)

rowstu Wrote:sorry forgot to say, it has nothing to do with your password. If you need to change that (which you probably don't if your running commands) you can run the "passwd" command.
cyberpark Wrote:Hello, and thanks for the feedback so far.

Just came home from vacation and will look into the different replies to see what has to be improved further.

Keep the testing and feedback coming!

Maybe disabling gnme-saver could be a good idea (although in a "pure" installation with the script it does not execute gnome and so it is not a problem, but for people that uses gdm...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=3...post392710
Quote:Maybe disabling gnme-saver could be a good idea (although in a "pure" installation with the script it does not execute gnome and so it is not a problem, but for people that uses gdm...
I am not sure it is the best solution to run this script on a Gnome/GDM installation.
At least take care that you have not let gnome install a NVIDIA driver before you run the script as some people seem to have done.

There at least two better ways to combine a desktop with xbmc
What would be the best way to now update to a newer version of xbmc? I have some trouble with SVN repo and youtube script (plays at 2x speed)

vikjon0 Wrote:I am not sure it is the best solution to run this script on a Gnome/GDM installation.
At least take care that you have not let gnome install a NVIDIA driver before you run the script as some people seem to have done.

There at least two better ways to combine a desktop with xbmc
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux4